“Birthday break for wife”

Loch Fyne Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Inveraray
GreenLeadersGold level
Motherwell
“Birthday break for wife”
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Booked the rejuvenation break for 2 nights for my wife's birthday. The food was superb, absolutely delicious. The service was excellent,not a single complaint, the staff were very attentive. The spa treatments very relaxing, and the two girls who attended to my wife and I were exceptional. So far sounding like a 5 star review. Sadly our room left a lot to be desired. Curtain hanging off, flickering lights, soap holder hanging off the wall, the general decor quite tired. Also our window view was of the bins. Disappointing due to the money we had paid and that everything else was perfect. Almost there but not quite, a shame.

Room Tip: Don't get room 120, looks onto bins, decor not great.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (485)
Cyprus
Reviewed October 26, 2013

We enjoyed our 2 day stay which was very good. We bought a deal going which included a 90 min very relaxing massage and facial. The staff were friendly, accom was excellent and spa facilities were good. Only gripe is the hotel does not have a gym.
We visited the local jail which had actors and is worth every penny. We went local walks around some stunning scenery (hotel reception hold maps).
The food was first class and the bar nice and cosy although typical hotel prices.

Room Tip: Visit the town of Inverary Jail.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Just got back home from a 2 night stay and have never been so glad to be home. We booked a last minute deal and paid £119 bed and breakfast rate. If we had paid the full rack rate of £195 a night I would have been extremely annoyed. On arrival it looked nice, limited parking but we managed to get a space in the overflow car park. Upon checking in staff were nice and pleasant and gave us our room key and information about breakfast and dinner. They were very insistent if we wanted to eat in the hotel that we book a time for dinner or if we weren't fussed we could have a bar meal. Off to our room we went and upon opening the door was greeted by a small double bed! Wardrobe with the back that was coming off, bedroom furniture that had seen better days and a bathroom that whilst clean could have done with been upgraded. In general though everything was clean just needed updating especially given the cost of the room.

Later that evening after having unpacked we decided to go down to the bar for a drink. £14 later for 2 drinks and we decided to head to Inveraray to see what else was on offer.

Next morning we headed for breakfast before going off to explore the area. Whilst it was busy there were plenty of staff serving. We were shown to our table and ordered drinks and toast and shown the buffet. We helped ourselves to cereal etc and 20mins later we were still waiting on a cup of tea and toast so we decided to leave as we felt that was ridiculous wait given how many people were serving.

If we were to go back to Inveraray we definitely wouldn't be staying at the loch fyne hotel given its extortionate cost for a basic room.

Perth, Scotland
Reviewed October 25, 2013

I returned to the Loch Fyne Hotel for the fourth time with three friends for a "girl's getaway." As I had recommended the hotel I was slightly anxious but I needn't have worried as it was as good as ever. The rooms we had - two twins - were not huge but they were adequate and had everything you might need. The food was very good on both nights and I liked the fact that the set menu for the dinner, bed and breakfast package changed each night, unlike some hotels. Also for a supplement you could eat anything off the main menu. However, for us the set menu was more than adequate. Especially good was the soup course - just a small amount of soup in an expresso cup (nice touch) but both nights absolutely delicious. They obviously have a chef who likes making soup. The breakfast menu was also very good. One of the dishes on offer was French toast with maple syrup and a bacon side - wonderful! The staff were all very nice and the maître d' kept a very close eye on everything. The pool was a nice size and a nice temperature as well.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Scotland
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Peaceful and relaxing. We took advantage of the marvellous classic Britain offer otherwise would have found the tarriffs a little expensive for our budget. Delicious and varied menu - the taster menu was very good value for money and the portions are very good. The staff are excellent and the overall atmosphere a tonic. The pool and especially the hot tub was lovely. We were prevented from taking the beautiful walks we intended because of the rain but next time would remember full waterproofs and do so any. The autumnal colours at this time of the year are truly beautiful around the Loch.

Room Tip: The suites tend to look onto the Loch and we presumed are filled up very quickly or prioritised for...
glasgow
Reviewed October 22, 2013

This was a midweek break and the hotel was very busy the rooms were first class and very clean
with all the usual facilities.The leisure pool was excellent with a sauna,steam room,outdoor hottub
and Jaccuzzi.There is also a Spa which I did;nt use.The dining experience is something else with a six course taster menu which was far to much, there is also an A La Carte menu.The staff were very very helpful and friendly.The lounge bar is well stocked and does meals and snacks during the day.We'll be back.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Scotland
Reviewed October 22, 2013

An overnight stay while working in the area was a disappointment here. Despite asking, on booking, for a loch view room I was allocated one with a high window overlooking some roofs. It was dark and depressing with grubby fixtures and fittings. Luckily, after complaining I was given one with a view and in marginally better condition. I sound fussy, maybe I am but eg, on finding a non functioning light, I discovered that there was no bulb in it. Nobody had bothered to replace it.The dressing table mirror had been fitted to the wall completely squint. It was hard to believe that a workman could have fitted it, looked at it, and thought "thats fine" and that many housekeepers over the years (and there must have been a few years) also completely overlooked it. So my disappointments continued. In the lounge I gave up trying to get the waiter`s attention and, to amuse myself, actually timed how long it took for him to notice me - one hour. I wasnt impressed. Other tables were served. I was invisible.
Breakfast started with a dismal non greeting from a glum staff member. Food was OK but by then I was so depressed by my whole stay that I just wanted to get away. Maybe if I`d been there on some sort of discount or bus trip I`d have adjusted my expectations downward but I was paying the sort of full amount that would have bought me a much better stay in a much better hotel. I know I sound sour but I found my stay here disappointing and depressing.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Inveraray
Oban Bay Hotel
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
Arrochar Hotel
Arrochar Hotel
#4 of 6 in Arrochar

Been to Loch Fyne Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!