“Did not stay”
Review of Ardshiel Hotel

Ardshiel Hotel
Ranked #4 of 19 Campbeltown B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 14, 2014

We did not stay at this hotel but took several dinners there while staying on Kintyre. The staff, were efficient, friendly and it was a pleasure to be served by them. The gentleman behind the bar recognised you and welcomed you warmly every time you went in and was an expert - he needed to be because the hotel has about 500 whiskies behind the bar and not only Scotch either: I noticed one or two Irish whiskeys and a Bourbon lurking among the bottles - how's that for international co-operation? The menu is short, not a bad thing, but some dishes did change by day and it was all expertly cooked and delicious. Of particular mention, the battered fish and chips. The best F and C I have had in a long time and the batter was perfection. Only one slight trouble, on one night there was a crowd of noisy golfers on a big table who drowned you out. Still, I suppose you have to expect that in such a golfing area but do they really have to shout so much!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends

Reviewed May 31, 2014

I stayed at the Ardshiel Hotel in early May and it was an excellent stay. Flora and staff were friendly, completely professional, and accommodating. The food was very good and their bar, the Whisky Bar, has to be the best in Scotland with over 600 bottles. The young bartender was very knowledgeable. As an example of Flora's personal service, I left my passport and other documents in my room, only to remember several days later. I contacted her and she responded quickly with the good news that she had them. She express mailed them to me in Troon and refused payment for the postage. Just one great example of her service. For golfers Machrihanish Golf Club is a links gem and only about 10 minutes from the hotel. Machrihanish Dunes is next door but I did not play there. This is definitely a worthwhile stop for golf. And the Ardshiel is the place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 24, 2014

Had a meal for 6 in this restaurant on Easter Sunday. One of our party was given a children's version of the sausage and mash but this was spotted immediately and rectified very quickly.
Nice varied menu, pleasant surroundings and a very wide variety of whisky.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 31, 2014

Stayed overnight on Saturday 29th March as part of a group of 3 weary golfers who checked in after a very tiring round of golf. From arrival at reception where they even managed (at very short notice) to give me a room with a bath to soak my aching limbs, through to check out, i can honestly say this is the most welcoming hotel i have ever stayed in. The rooms were large, spotlessly clean and well equipped. The food was very good, all freshly prepared and generous portion sizes. However the best thing about this hotel is the staff and their approach to running a hotel. As a previous reviewer said "they simply get it" and i would echo this, it appears that the philosophy applied is that the staff simply treat the customers in the same manner they themselves would like to be treated when staying in a hotel and it works!! Thanks again for everything and take it for granted that when i am next in the area this will be my hotel of choice.

Room Tip: Room 5 had the bath with copious amounts of hot water.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for one night, pleasantly surprised, pictures of rooms don't do it justice. Great nights sleep and tasty breakfast in morning. Malt whiskey bar is impressive even if your not a fan of whiskey, plenty of choice for everyone. Great location and cosy homely feel. Only disappointment missed trying dinner, so must go back.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 12, 2013

We reluctantly booked into this hotel for bed and breakfast to attend the funeral of a beloved friend the next day. The welcome we got upon arrival was warm and comforting. Although we were beyond evening meal time we were provided with a delicious and wholesome plate of salad delivered to our rooms.(while we were out visiting the family of our friend). The next day, although I had not thought to have a huge breakfast, the menu was too inviting and I was tempted by the smoked fish with scrambled egg. My husband and daughter chose full English. We could not find a single fault with any aspect of our stay - in fact quite the reverse. The staff were just lovely at all times. We found ourselves back later that day for the funeral 'tea'. Once again, the staff were super. Nothing was a bother and the food was excellent. All in all although our visit was for an extremely sad reason the attention we got helped.to make it as pleasant a stay as one could wish.

Room Tip: Thinking of this specific aspect - I am not sure I saw much in the way of disabled access. Perhaps...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Cannot be beaten for food and service. Easily could go through the entire menu. Food was so tasty, hot and excellent quality. Service was very attentive and you are made as though you are the only one there.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Campbeltown
Argyll Arms Hotel
#1 of 1 in Machrihanish
Dellwood Hotel
Dellwood Hotel
#11 of 19 in Campbeltown

Been to Ardshiel Hotel? Share your experiences!