“never again!!!!!”
Review of White Hart Hotel

White Hart Hotel
Ranked #18 of 19 Campbeltown B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 17, 2012

ok we arrived and just put bags in room 1...basic but beds clean ......sat on bed which fell to bits beneath me!!!! slats had been taped up!! spoke to Helen regarding this( after waiting ten mins to see her as she was completly run off her wee feet!!) but as room had two single beds as well that was fine....on returning to room much later...tried shutting curtains...only some would shut...towel on top of window sash to stop them rattling!! fire not working. we overlookedthe blue tac holding table....in morning went for shower in bathroom...two temps....cold or freezing!!! opened the few curtains that were closed to see the lovelly freshly planted window boxes....lovelly....apart from ones full of vomit we didnt see day before!!!breakfast was almost raw mushrooms,what can only be described as a pickled poached egg and toasted tattie scone...thank god beans were fine!!...bar was fab...staff were really nice but sorry never again

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Alison M
davideaton, Owner at White Hart Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2012

I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay. Obviously the bed being in pieces tied up with tape didn't make for a good start.
The bed had been taped up by the previous occupants, a group of young American boys who plainly didn't want to be charged for damages and concealed it. Having witnessed their behaviour beforehand I have no doubt one of them was also responsible for the
sickness in the window box.
The rattling window I have just now secured with its proper latch, probably too challenging for the drunken boys who took the towel approach.
The fuel effect heater does appear not to be working but both the convector radiators are working fine and I hope you were not cold with these in use.
It is perhaps unfortunate that there were few residents at the weekend as it then takes a lot of running before the hot water gets through to some rooms. I have however just been to the shower and it does run warm eventually.
I will make enquiries about the standard of your breakfast but normally we receive compliments about our breakfast. Again I apologise for the shortcomings of your stay but I would hope you might understand that sometimes it isn't all that simple to keep everything 100% all the time.

Reviewed May 20, 2012

This hotel has been caught up in a 50’s time warp, both in decoration and furniture.
On checking in we discovered that the bedrooms are on the 2nd & 3rd floors.
Bar on ground, Breakfast room on 1st. There are no lifts and all luggage has to be carried up the flights of stair, although we were asked if we wanted any assistance.
The bedrooms were poorly furnished, with the bathroom needing a serious makeover -
no shelf for toiletries, sink plug not connected to chain, the seal around the top of bath being black in places, but worst of all, the carpet around the toilets smelling of urine, and need to be replaced.
There was a choice of cereal and cooked breakfast which was sufficient.
Unfortunately the smokers gathered outside the front doors, which were clearly heard in the
the bedrooms until closing time.
Street parking outside.
At £69 per room was not value for money and expensive.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank wonderfree41
Reviewed December 24, 2011

The bar and food were great. Especially the pizza. Rooms were basic. Staff all friendly.

• Stayed: December 2011
2  Thank Ranger84
Reviewed July 6, 2011

Good value. I will probably stay here again if I return to Campbeltown. We paid 65 pounds for twin room with breakfast on a Thursday night. Some people consider three stars so-so, but this property was above average when compared to other Scottish inns in which I have stayed. It is a little rustic and maybe a little worn, but these qualities were not detrimental to our experience at all. Exceeded our expectations.

Stayed one night with friend. Room 14 (twin) was clean, beds comfortable compared to other places I've stayed in Scotland. Staff was very friendly. Breakfast decent quality but uninspired and typical of just about every inn in Scotland (eggs, sausage, black puddling, toast, fatty bacon (Americans would call this ham, not bacon)), and same ole' cereals. The bar next to the lobby was the coziest we found in Campbeltown (and we looked) in that it had an old-world feel (stone walls, etc) though I cant remember the whisky selections. No parking but should be easy to find on the street in front. Cant remember if internet was available.

Reference: I am a middle-class American male, 30's, well-traveled, as was my friend. This was my third two-week self-guided tour through Scotland since 2007. Generally, my scores/reviews are in comparison to any place I've stayed before in the world, not just comparable properties in Scotland.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank JasonMoran
Reviewed May 27, 2011

I was staying in Campbeltown for one night and ended up at the White Hart Hotel.
I was given keys to my room and when I entered room 1 I was met with a large room with a 60's fireplace with broken tiles on it a couple of dated chairs and a coffee table with the glass held on with Blu Tac .I opened a side door to find another room with two single beds and then another room with a dark blue painted shower with a sshower hose that had been painted in the same blue the room.This hotel needs not only a massive return programme in the bedrooms but also in the reception and restaurant.

• Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank Alanwilson1
Reviewed April 16, 2011

Well i don`t normally -ever- write a review for an hotel even though my job with a national power company takes me away from home regularly, laziness i suppose. However, after my stay at the historic White Hart in Campbeltown, and on hearing someone had sniped this site to write a poor review/s of their supposed stay at the WH some time ago i decided to try my hand.
Well i will say by way of starting that the fascinating Kintyre peninsula does not really boast a plethora of 5 star stay-aways, in fact you`re more likely to check out the B&B scene if you are looking for accommodation and many will take advantage of the many camp-sites or bring a campervan to `explore` the incredible geography and the hotel selection has been limited since before the war really.
First impression of the WH was open and clean and the imposing frontage screamed history (a taste of the buildings` varied architectural evolution is framed in the front bar). Second impression was the room i had which was on the second floor, HUGE and spacious with a fantastic view of the town. The room was fresh smelling, well laid out and clean. My colleagues and i met up and decided on dinner, we met up downstairs. We ordered and were pleasantly surprised by the speed of the order being taken and delivered. The portions were generous and tasty and exactly what was advertised on the menu. I had the seafood each night and was sufficiently satiated as to nearly need help up the stairs. Beer and spirits were inexpensive though i did not try the wine personally. The bar was split into several areas and we immediately thought of it as having an old world feel to it. Wednesday evening we played bingo (which you may knock) but was great entertainment with cash prizes and a friendly atmosphere. Staff were very helpful and professional and other activities were on locally if you wished to venture out. All in all i have to say i was very well treated during my week and in summary i think the hotel offered incredible value for money. If you want Haute Cuisine and a ballroom stay in London, if you want good old world charm and honest value for money in some of the wildest and most stunning scenery in the west of Scotland then don`t think twice about booking a place at the White Hart, Campbeltown but do it now as `those-that-know` may have already taken your room.
My advice, room 2 on a nice July weekend or if you fancy a bit`o crack reserve a room for the 18/19/20th of August when they have the Kintyre music festival, yes that would do it.
See you there.
Richard Davenport, Tayvallich, Argyll.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank silvermachine68
Reviewed March 30, 2011

I hesitate to knock this hotel because this is a town where getting a hotel room is always difficult, and if this place was to go would make things imposible. However I wonder what a structural survey would reveal. Owners have spent a fair amount on new furniture and some paint has been slapped around but it cannot disguise the fact that the building is crumbling. On my last stay I was given a room where the outer walls were saturated with damp and a large part of the ceiling plaster had fallen off leaving the brown crumbly stuff below . The bedside light had come loose on the wall because the wall plaster it was screwed into was soft.

This is not the first room I have had which has had structural problems, perhaps it is only the top floor that has problems. I would have gone elsewhere but I had already paid, it was late and I was tired and in fairness bed and bathroom although fittings very tired, was clean. Occupancy levels in Campbeltown have been very high for several years so there is money for cosmetic improvement as has happened here but a coat of lipstick does not cure rotten teeth in the mouth. Sadly this building is done and would be cheaper to demolish and rebuild than to try and restore. If you can get a room on the lower floors it may be alright.

The new dark green and fawn decor and brown carpet has been chosen to cover the problems but combined with the inadequate lighting makes everything look dirty even if it is not.

Food other than breakfast is OK and staff are mostly friendly and helpful but some need lessons in laundry and personal matters.

Breakfast is not a pleasant experience as a glimpse of the passageway to the kitchen ensures that all you will want is food that is still packaged.

This hotel is used a lot by workmen as it is a bit cheaper than the other hotels in the town so it does take a bit of abuse but this does not excuse the state it is getting into.

I will probably stay at the hotel again as often there is no other option available. There are a couple of places that are excellent in the town but they are treasures to keep to yourself.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank scotos
davideaton, Owner at White Hart Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2011

This is an old building. To suggest that we should pull it down and rebuild is plainly stupid. Even supposing we did we would then have to charge so much to service the investment that no-one, not even your esteemed self, would be able to pay.
We have many guests who comment when leaving how much they have enjoyed their stay and many people who try to get here first, not just when their favourite little secret place is full.
Our rooms are clean, with TV and tea and coffee making. Always hot water and responsive friendly staff.
Yes sometimes elements of the fabric require attention but it isn't always easy to get qualified tradesmen to attend faults urgently.
So the corridor to the Kitchen put you off your breakfast? Its the same kitchen that our highly praised food comes from and recently passed a clean bill of health from our EHO. I've been behind the scenes at many hotels including Stobo Castle and Gleneagles, believe me they don't look so pretty as out in front.
Despite all your criticism you would still come to stay?
Just call me and I'll recommend a B&B.