“Grand Old Lady”

and 1 more site!
Argyll Arms Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Campbeltown
Reviewed May 9, 2014

I think grand old lady is the best way to describe the Argyle. In the past I has obviously been grand but is now showing its age. Don't let this put you off.
We stayed here two nights while walking the Kintyre Way. The staff are very friendly, the rooms were large, comfortable with plenty of hot water and the heating problem mentioned in another review has been solved by putting electric heaters in each room which we found work fine.
We ate both nights here as the food was very good and plentiful. There is a very comfortable small bar where we ate with a good selection of beers.
Breakfast was served from 07-30 which we found worked well for us wanting to get away walking.
Yes the place is a bit jaded but good value and I would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends

Reviewed March 11, 2014

Visiting Campbelltown on business booked hotel on route , arrived, checked in to be informed that heating was not working, good job it was a nice day, was only offered discount due to no heating when I asked.
Room on second floor no lift long way up.
Room fine, good shower ok for price.
Had evening meal in bar steak pie puff pastry topping very bad, side order of onion rings, clearly out of a packet poor, breakfast ok no more than that.
All in all ok if you are looking for a bed overnight and you eat elsewhere.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Douglas M
Reviewed December 8, 2013

A friend and I travelled throughout the UK and this was one of our stops to visit my Great Grandparents birth place, they have both since passed. We were served lunch by a cousin of my grandmother's it turned out , who worked as a waitress in the restaurant in the hotel. It also had a lounge where we had Saturday evening drinks with a few of the Campbeltown pipe band. They play down at the bay on Saturday evenings for a time then head up for a few pints. Paul McCartney and the Wings used the band in one of their songs "The Mull of Kintyre", my grand mother also said he was caught growing marijuana on the farm/recording studio he owned there.

The hotel and it's amenities served us well, but the most outstanding thing were the people of the hotel as well as throughout the town friendly would be an understatement. We were invited to dinners and were treated more like family, we stayed a week and didn't want to leave. Always wondered what would have come of me had I stayed. I have never had an experience like that to this day. Hats off to staff of the Argyll Arms Hotel and to the People of Campbetown. Awk Now you'd have to be daft not to enjoy your visit.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Stayed here during the Summer. Very poor reception and given key to an upstairs room.
Unpacked our case and went out to visit friends nd attended a family wedding. So didnt get back to teh room until after midnight. That was when I noticed thgat the bed was at an angle! Obviously broken and someone hade made up theg bed in that knowledge!!!

As it was so late and I was so tired, I slept in it (trying hard not to fall out overnight!).
In the morning, on checking out, I complained. The manager shrugged her shoulder and explained that new beds were expensive!!!! I was shocked. No discout was offered.

Do not think about staying here unless you are deperate - we will not be back!!

Room Tip: So old fashioned. Poor decore and ask for a room without a BROKEN BED!!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Iain A
Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for work overnight and read the reviews prior to arrival.
Food was good and the staff eerr friendly.
The decor is dated and the hotel would benefit from a makeover.
The wifi signal is very poor and I needed to sit in reception to get any work done.

Nice stay overall

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank rws1211
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We went for dinner in the restaurant and were not staying in the hotel. Excellent, quick table service, we both chose to have fillet and sirloin steak for our mains. Our steaks were of good quality and cooked to perfection. We would definatly go back the next time we visit Campbeltown.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank John M
Reviewed April 27, 2013

This is the second time my husband and I have taken the bus from Glasgow to Campbeltown for a day trip. It is a long bus run but the scenery is beautiful and the town itself is in a lovely location by the sea. The Argyll hotel is on the main street and we were hungry after our run. They serve lunches till two and we only arrived just before two but lunch was no problem and it was very good. The service is very friendly and we were made very welcome.We had a long walk round the seafront and round the back of the town with lovely views down to the harbour and we wanted a cup of tea before our long bus ride home. Unfortunately many cafes round the country close at tea time so we asked the hotel if it would be possible to have a pot of tea even though they don't advertise it. They were wonderfully kind and produced a large pot of tea and homemade shortbread and the friendliness of the proprietor and her waitress made our day complete. I would stay at this hotel if I were to holiday in this area and would recommend it highly.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank maureen g
Also consider these accommodations in or near Campbeltown
Best Western Kinloch Hotel
#1 of 1 in Machrihanish
Dellwood Hotel
Dellwood Hotel
#11 of 19 in Campbeltown

Been to Argyll Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!