“Outstanding - make the visit to Campbeltown for this gem of a hotel!”
Review of The Royal Hotel

The Royal Hotel
Ranked #3 of 19 Campbeltown B&B and Inns
Isle of Bute
“Outstanding - make the visit to Campbeltown for this gem of a hotel!”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I stayed at the Royal with a colleague on a work visit and felt like I was on a mini-break. The accommodation is luxurious, comfortable and immaculate - traditional but contemporary - it oozes quality and attention to detail. The service from all the staff we met could not be faulted. Dinner was a real treat too. This hotel really puts Campbeltown on the map as a desirable destination for business or pleasure. I would highly recommend it and intend to return with family and friends. This is a winner for Campbeltown and south Kintyre.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Although our booking had not been received from booking.com, we negotiated a rate for four single rooms. Excellent decor, but hate all the cushions and the throw on the bed, what is that all about? Very comfortable bed, friendly and helpful staff. Good breakfast, but surprised that links sausage is half a sausage only. However, overall a pleasure to stay at the Royal and a compliment to Campbeltown. Also enjoyed having drinks outside on the patio.

Scotland
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Lovely hotel with rooms of the highest quality. Very friendly and efficient receptionist. Had a beef and horseradish bloomer for lunch and the beef was melt-in-your-mouth. Delicious! 3 days after our stay, a parcel arrived containing a pair of jeans my son had left in the room. We had not realised we had left anything but the hotels customer service cannot be commende highly enough for taking the time and expense out to return them to us. Fantastic!

Would certainly recommend this hotel for anybody visiting Campbeltown.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank si-jay
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I booked two rooms for single occupancy over the second May Bank Holiday as I was running in the Mull of Kintyre Half Marathon and was taking my cousin with me for support and needed separate rooms. We could not have wished for a better hotel to accommodate our needs. It started with my booking experience which was handled quickly, efficiently and professionally. On arrival we were dealt with great care and checked in very swiftly. We were asked if we needed help to the rooms but as there was a lift we declined. We were allocated Rm 33 and Rm 21. We both went to Rm 33 on the top floor to view the room - On entry we were blown away as the standard of decor together with fixtures and fittings were of an exceptionally high standard. Then there was the view........ This room is turreted and from the windows you have a panoramic view of Campbeltown Loch and Daavar Island - It was a glorious sunny day so as you can imagine it was quite something. Rm 21 is located at the front of the hotel and has similar views but not just as fabulous. The overall appearance of the room is similar to Rm 33. We had dinner in the restaurant which offered a very varied menu and were served by very attentive staff. The Prices were a little high but this was reflected in the quality of the food. Breakfast was part buffet/part menu selection and was most acceptable. I had requested a late check out for one room which I was advised would be confirmed on the morning of departure. This was confirmed at a small charge but on departure the charge was overlooked as a gesture to my achievement of completing the run. Completely unnecessary but most appreciated. I asked one of the team of three very nice chambermaids if one of them could help me to reception with some of my luggage and was overwhelmed when the three of them took a piece each and assisted me to the luggage room located near reception. When I tried to offer them a tip they were most adamant that it was their pleasure and would not accept my offer.
What else is there to say? Nothing - except to emphasise that the newly refurbished hotel deserves to be well patronised as it is in the most prominent position in Campbeltown and all the members of Staff I encountered were a credit to the Management.
I will return........... Jamie McLean

Room Tip: Room 33 is absolutely fantastic in every way.......
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Paisley, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 25, 2013

Stayed whilst on business at The Royal Hotel.

Small carpark to rear of hotel, on-street parking also.

Rooms was one of the best I have ever stayed in. Tasteful decor and well appointed.

Food was superb in hotel restaurant.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank PamelaW31
Mississippi
Reviewed May 23, 2013

This is the perfect hotel for a golfer who wanted to take advantage of all of the beautiful surrounding golf opportunities in the area. However, even if you were not a golfer, the Royal Hotel is an outstanding place to stay. The rooms are beautiful, well appointed and the beds are big, cozy and comfortable. The dining room and bars are excellent and well priced. The staff is friendly,very professional and eager to make you happy. Fiona, at reception was especially accommodating! This is a great hotel in a town that I may not ever get back to, but I am glad I have had the opportunity to visit.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank fscotty
Bo'ness, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Just a 2 day break but on arrival the reception staff put us at ease as they were very professional in every manner. We had room 34 which overlooked part of the harbour and as it was on the main st we thought noise would be a problem ,this was not the case as the double glazing took care of that. The room was spotless as was the an suite ,a bed and pillows second to none so a good was assured. Recently refurbished it oozes quality and the breakfasts and evening meals we had were of the highest standard . The quality of care by all the staff was excellent. The walls of the hotel have a wonderful selection of photographs /prints of old Campbeltown which was interesting. The area is excellent for wild life walks and of course golf . We had a wonderful time at the Royal and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Campbeltown
Argyll Arms Hotel
#2 of 19 in Campbeltown
The Ugadale Hotel & Cottages
The Ugadale Hotel & Cottages
#1 of 1 in Machrihanish

Been to The Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!