“Home from Home”
Review of Westbank House

Westbank House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Campbeltown
Westbank House
Ranked #10 of 19 Campbeltown B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Just arrived home after an overnight stay in Campbeltown visiting family. My cousin and I were made very welcome; our room was spotlessly clean with a wonderful view. Nothing was too much trouble for Fiona and her Mum - the extra tea bags and milk were very welcome.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Elizabeth F
There are newer reviews for Westbank House

Reviewed September 19, 2013

We as a group of 5 male hikers around 30 years old stayed in this kind B&B for 2 nights. The owner was very kind and helped us with all our questions. The rooms are clean and ok. Breakfast is also good.

2  Thank ferthc
Reviewed September 16, 2013

spent the weekend in westbank house for MOK festival, marvellous weekend, rooms are beautifully decorated and spotless clean, especially room 5 which has a lovely view of lighthouse at night, excellent choice for breakfast, stornoway black pudding and argyl sausages were lovely, Fiona is a excellent host attending to everything that anyone required, would recommend staying here for anyone asfionas knowledge of area is very good,

Room Tip: all rooms are excellant
2  Thank Tracy E
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Stayed here one night on a cycling trip. Owner was very friendly and helpful. Room and ensuite were both clean and tidy, with all the expected facilities. Good solid breakfast served by a polite member of the owner's staff. Would recommend this B&B for stopover or longer stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank wanderer5893
Reviewed August 16, 2013

I was booked to stay here from 9-12 August 2013 on business. I have stayed here on about 10 previous occasions since March 2012. Westbank is one of 6 different Campbeltown establishments where I've stayed since March 2012.

During the previous times I've stayed at Westbank I had an arrangment with the owner Fiona that I could use the dining room outside of breakfast hours and help myself to crockery if required. She had also shown me how to use the microwave in the kitchen.

Breakfast begins from 07.30. Because I begin working at 08.00 I asked Fiona on the Friday evening if I could have breakfast 15 minutes earlier at 07.15. I was told no as there were no staff available to make breakfast at that time. There was no offer of a non cooked continental breakfast in lieu. However she did offer to make me a sandwich which I accepted.

That night 9/10 August I was woken up by other guests immediately outside my door who were (presumably) returning from being out that evening. I didn't mention this in the morning to anyone at Westbank and I certainly didn't complain about it because I thought it was trivial.

On the morning of 10 August I left at 07.30 to begin a 12 hour nursing shift. On the way out I collected my "sandwich" which consisted of a cold meat roll, carton of juice and an almost green banana.

On the evening of 10 August following my 12 hour shift at around 20.30 I returned to Westbank. and phoned Fiona (she wasn't present and had left a number) to ask if it was OK to stay another night 12/13 August as this had been omitted in error from the earlier booking. Fiona replied "that'll be fine" .

Later that same evening I went out to buy a takeway meal and I brought it back to Westbank intending to eat it in the dining room as per our arrangment but both doors to the dining room were locked so I ate in my room (it was raining outside).

The next morning 11 August I left about 07.30. I said "morning" to a member of staff as I came down the stairs". There was no sandwich waiting.for me. So I left that morning for a 12 hour shift with ...... nothing.

That evening I returned to Westbank about 20.20. As usual I was tired and looking forward to lying down after the end of another 12 hour shift. What followed next was the most extraordinarily bizarre and unpleasant experience I have ever experienced in > 30 years of staying in different types of commercial accommodation.

As I made my way up the stairs Fiona began shouting at me through the kitchen's open door. Amongst other things I was accused of - get ready for this - damaging her property, abusing her staff and disturbing her other guests.I was also reminded that"this is MY house!" and "this is a BnB!" In addition I was informed by Fiona that "you're not even a proper nurse. Nobody at ------ (my work) likes you" and "you're a pathetic little man". This was followed by "I don't want you back here after tonight!"

At ths last comment I could hardly believe my ears because by now I made up my mind I was leaving asap.. As I went upstairs to pack - quickly- Fiona snapped "and don't eat food in the room!" When I enquired where was I supposed to eat it she barked "outside!"

It was crystal clear that Fiona did not want me in the building so, tired as I was, I packed in less than 5 minutes. As I was doing so I heard Fiona downstairs pointedly discussing me out loud with someone on the phone giving them a running commentary on what had just happened.(which tells me her actions were pre planned). At this point I was angry. When I told her not to discuss me with a 3rd party she shouted once more "WHY this is MY HOUSE".

After packing I returned downstairs. Fiona at this point was still in the kitchen strangely quiet (I soon found out why). I told her she was "a disgrace" and she replied "this is being recorded". and "I will send you a bill for any damage".

I did slam the door on my way out. I believe I was entitled to given I had just been thrown out literally on the street at the end of a 12 hour nursing shift by someone whose actions were obviously planned and premeditated. Westbank may be Fiona's home but perhaps she should consider no longer accepting guests at her "home" who pay her for the privilege. The allegations she made against a paying guest are serious. As of the time of writing this paying guest has not heard from anyone wishing to prosecute them.

Consider staying at Westbank? You have been warned.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
8  Thank PhillipeGlasgow
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Stayed here in August for a golfing trip with friends. Staff were all very welcoming and helpful especially the owner who managed to get us a reservation at the booked out Ardshiel restaurant.
Rooms are spacious, clean and have everything you need. Breakfasts were freshly cooked and very tasty. Guest house is five minutes walk to the harbour and where all the pubs etc are.
The décor in the communal areas is not the most modern, but the rooms have all been refurbished recently, do I definitely wouldn't be put off by this.
Great value for money and ideal for a golf trip.

Room Tip: Stayed in room 3, (two singles and a double) and friends had room 5 which was on the top floor (two...
1  Thank EdinburghWanderer
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Stayed at westbank for first time owner was not there her mum was looking after the place for a few days I was shown to room 1 a twin as I was travelling along The room was extremely outdated and very dusty I didnt realise untill later when I took off my shoes the carpet was very sticky but I thought as I was only gonna stay 4 nights and was only gonna be sleeping there I could put up with it But unfortunatly that night someone tried my room door on 2 occasions and who ever was staying in the room above was up untill after 2am making a racket so I had no sleep I was offered another room4 which was such a contrast to room 1 fresh decor ect but was told there was no key and I could just leave room unlocked NO-WAY so I was then offered room 5 on the top floor another freshly decorated room which I was happy about But the next morning I was told I had to return to the original room 1 as this room was booked. No way I wanted to return to the drab & dreary room 1 after seeing these others so decided just to check out having had no breakfast. This was not received very well and the owners mum dismissed me and left my check out to be handled by the pleasant Romanian lady who was cleaning the bedrooms Very Professional !!!! I believe this guest house take in workman on a regular basis and room 1 was obviously kept for them , but I was still expected to pay the full rate So I am afraid I could not recommend this B&B and will not stay there again.My ratings are mostly for room 1 DO NOT STAY THERE If you must stay refuse ROOM 1

Room Tip: Do not accept room 1
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank lynn h
Fiona M, Owner at Westbank House, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

Thank you your comments.

I am sorry that your stay was not a good one and I understand that there was a disturbance in the room above you, which is being dealt with at this time.

I would like to answer your other comments:

I am pleased that you found the woman that checked you out professional and as you pointed out she was cleaning the rooms which are done every day. I am not sure how you found the room dusty and the carpet sticky as all the rooms have recently had new carpets fitted. This woman is not Romanian and she helps me with all aspects of the bed and breakfast and not just the cleaner checking you out.

I understand that you phoned my mother from your bedroom saying that you were unwell and going to stay in bed and did not require breakfast, shortly after that call you arrived downstairs and said you were just going home. My mother offered you tea and you spoke to her about your first nights stay and about the noise on that evening. She said she would discuss it with me but you could also contact me to discuss the disturbance as she knows I would not wish for anyone to be uncomfortable in my home. It upset her that you felt she dismissed you.

I am not sure how you have an insight on the guests that stay with me and that I "take in lots of workmen" given that you have never stayed with me before. I have a wide range of people from all walks of life that stay. The people working in Campbeltown come form a broad range of employment sectors and all of the guests staying at that time were all repeat guests with the exception of the middle aged professional woman that caused the noise above you who will not be allowed to return. Everyone of the other guests were men and pleasant hard working people.

No room is reserved for a certain type of guest and as everyone else staying that night was on business with the exception of you, highlights the fact that room 1 is not just for "workmen". I am sure they would not like to be described in such a negative way given that it was a woman who disturbed you.

All rooms have Yale locks and no-one would be able to enter your room. You were charged a single room rate despite being in a large family room on your second night as you were aware you were unable to stay in that room for the next night as it was reserved for a family.

If you wish to contact me and discuss this matter I am happy to help as I am sure you already know I accommodated you cancelling dates and re-booking several times days before you arrived.