We stayed in Room 4 at Craigard House and it was stunning. The views were great and uninterrupted across Campbeltown and the bay towards Davaar Island. The room was very clean and smelled wonderfully fresh and inviting, the bed was huge and extremely comfortable !
Our room also had a very lovely sitting area in a bay window and the sun shone into the room all day long.
Breakfast was delightful, fresh fruits, granolas, cereals, jams, croissants, toast, varieties of cooked options - full scottish including haggis, salmon, etc. all wonderfully cooked and served with a smile.
We also ate in the evening in the restaurant and on one evening I was served so much food I couldnt eat it all. It was all very fresh and cooked very well and tasted great. We particularly enjoyed a cheese board with local cheeses (although a little on the expensive side) - the different cheeses were mainly local and were accompanied with savoury biscuits, chutney and grapes. The meals we ordered were competatively priced and enjoyble, there was a very varied and unfussy menu.
Hospitality staff were very friendly and helpful, we encountered Beanie the dog who was part of the establishment and escorted you in and out of the front door.
The hotel has an interesting history and the owner is clearly passionate about the restoration that he is undertaking. The hotel would benefit from being uncluttered, but then I think this may take away some of the owners personality and homeliness.
Would I recommend this hotel - yes definitely - it was great on all accounts, friendliness, comfort, cleanliness, food, service and location for touring the Mull of Kintyre.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- An imposing 1882 Italianate Mansion overlooking Campbeltown Loch on the peaceful and beautiful Kintyre Peninsula. Stunning scenery, wildlife, quiet roads and beaches - and 13 comfortable rooms to come home to, all with bath, shower,huge fluffy towels, Neutrogena toiletries, bathrobes, Free WiFi and satellite TV. Enjoy the informal and intimate atmosphere of the Lochside Restaurant with lovely sea views and wonderful food. We specialise in local seafood, shellfish, meat, produce and game - as well as a comprehensive and welcoming Wine and Malt Whisky list. Classic Links Golf at Machrihanish GC, Machrihanish Dunes and Dunaverty await you. Lori and Roger look forward to welcoming you... ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire and Priceline so you can book your Craigard House Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Craigard Hotel Campbeltown
- Craigard House Hotel Campbeltown, Argyll And Bute