“Heaven on a plate”

Airds Hotel and Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 4 Restaurants in Appin
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: A Romantic Candlelit Restaurant serving locally sourced food using the best ingredients. Specialising in local seafood, the restaurant has held 3 rosettes for over 20 years and is one of the longest serving restaurants to be featured in the Good Food Guide, with a current rating of 6. Stunning views front the restaurant, of Loch Linnhe and the Morvern mountains and amazing sunsets can be seen, especially during the summer months. In the Spring and Summer it is also possible to enjoy morning coffee, lunch and afternoon tea sitting in the garden, again with spectacular views. The hotel is open for morning coffee, lunch, afternoon tea and dinner. Coffee, lunch and tea are all available in the lounges, bar area, conservatory or in the garden. Dinner may be enjoyed either in the candlelit restaurant or in the conservatory with the ever changing scenery enjoyed in both.
Reviewed February 12, 2014

The chefs are culinary artists. The food is the freshest Scottish produce beautifully presented in a gorgeous dining room with beautiful views. Service is attentive yet discreet from the Airds Team. A fantastic place for lunch, afternoon tea or cream tea or dinner. Enjoy!

1  Thank blackfaceewe

Reviewed February 4, 2014

We stayed here last weekend (see hotel review) and the food was simply excellent. The choices on the menu catered for everyone and on the first evening we enjoyed Scallops with an apple and ginger puree and a really delicious cured salmon roulade which I would have loved the recipe for! We then moved onto Roast Highland Venison which did not disappoint and Lemon sole with a soufflé which again was superb. Finally desserts - my husband had the passion fruit soufflé and given I was so full I had the homemade ice cream which was very refreshing. On the second night, whilst extremely tempting to go for the same dishes as the night before, we avoided temptation and chose different dishes none of which disappointed.

We started with a goats cheese mousse with a red pepper cannelloni and the flavours combined perfectly and a pigeon dish which we cannot quite remember what it came with but was delicious! We then followed that with wild seabass and a duck dish with sweet potato, beetroot and a red wine sauce. Finally desserts, my husband did in fact give in to temptation and had the passion fruit soufflé again as he had decided he would never find a place that did it so well and whilst being equally full as the previous evening I had the apple tarte tatin which was divine. This place is really for those who love good food in a relaxing and romantic environment with pleasant staff. I can't wait to come back, although the calorie count cannot be good!

Reviewed November 4, 2013

My husband and I have just enjoyed two truly fabulous meals at the Airds Hotel. Everything we chose between us for our dinner there on our first night was so beautifully cooked and so delicious, and every single canapé before dinner, and every petit four afterwards , was perfectly, and deliciously crafted. So much attention to detail, both in presentation and flavour. Wow!

A couple of nights later, we ate at the Airds again, and were nor disappointed. And this time it was a Gourmet Dinner of seven courses, not to memtion more amazing canapés and petits fours on top. From the sublime Jerusalem Artichoke Velouté (best soup I have ever tasted) with Spiced Langoustine (cooked to perfection) right through to the exquisite Praline Parfait, the meal was one of the very best I have ever had. I am not normally a salmon fan, but the Lightly Poached Loch Duart Smoked Salmon was to die for, and the combination later in the menu of Roquefort Cheese with Vanilla Custard, Gin Soaked Blueberries and Apple Sorbet was more divine than I could ever have imagined! Wow again! All the guests were treated to a selection of Bordeaux wines (including sparkling rose, a white, and a crisp Sauternes for dessert), and a short exposé on each, as the evening progressed, from a very pleasant and entertaining wine merchant who joined us for the evening.

The staff were as attentive and efficient as ever. The atmosphere was warm and very special. This was my second visit to the Airds Hotel. I shall most definitely be returning - and hopefully when another gourmet night is on...

All in all, very highly recommended indeed.

Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

On our first stay at the Airds I was excited to see that the restaurant had a tasting menu available, allowing us to sample the chef's considerable skills. Every course worked well, and of particular note was a beautiful salted fillet of cod, fricasee of pea and ham, and mussel gratin - had to have that as a full main course the next night. I'm glad we chose to have the extra matched wines as these complemented their respective courses very well, and meant that we could try considerably more of the wine-list than we would otherwise have been able to. It was also a welcome change to have dietary requirements catered with no trouble at all.
The restaurant itself has lovely views across the loch, and is very confortable and intimate. The service was excellent, very efficient and carried out to a high standard without being intrusive. The staff were knowledgeable about the provenance of the food and were able to recommend wines that matched individual courses the very well.
My only regret is that the restaurant is not local to home, otherwise I'd be a very regular visitor

Reviewed September 26, 2013

The fooid here was the best we experienced on our travels and the service matched the excellence. We stayed a couple of nights in the hotel and ate in the restaurant on both evenings and will certainly go back. The staff are friendly without being intrusive and we felt as though they really cared.