“It has to be the strawberry tart”

Charleton Fruit Farm Coffee Shop
Ranked #1 of 6 Coffee & Tea in Montrose
Cuisines: Cafe, British, Scottish
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom
“It has to be the strawberry tart”
Reviewed July 5, 2014

I returned here for the first time in years shortly before it closed at 4 but was made welcome and ordered a pot of tea and a strawberry tart, which I was sure would be good as they grow their own. A woman at the adjacent table said "that's the biggest strawberry tart I've ever seen" and it was certainly generously supplied with fruit. There were other cakes I could have had, and the food menu looked good too. I got 2.5 cups of tea out of the pot and was happy with the experience. The bill came to £4.50 which was fine. I had a quick look round the shop after, and outside there is a large play area for children, which on a sunny day was being well used. I will have to try to not be so long going back again.

• Visited July 2014

Montrose, United Kingdom
“A day out”
Reviewed July 1, 2014

A great place to take the kids... A brilliant play area for them,built like a castle.food a bit pricey though

Visited July 2014
“Arrogant and Obnoxious Manager”
Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

What started as a relaxing coffee and a snack ended with a very unhappy customer experience and a manager who has obviously never been on a customer service course.

We sat outside in the busy seating area and looked through the menu. Shortly after ordering or attention was drawn to a loud hammering noise coming from 2 workmen who were building a wooden outbuilding inside the seating area.

We found it very strange that the men were working during opening hours as the noise was very loud and not what you would expect while enjoying an afternoon drink.

The workmen were using a nail gun to fix the roof panels to the structure which was producing loud bursts of nice disturbing us and all of the other customers.

Due to all the disruption we chose to end our visit quickly and I headed to the shop to pay our bill whilst expecting a discount for our unhappy experience.

I passed the bill to the man at the counter and said I hope he would be kind enough to add a discount due to the disruption caused by the building work. He simply responded with a laugh.

I advised him that they shouldn't allow the work to be carried out during opening times and his response this time was "well it was your choice to sit there". Shocking! I couldn't beleive what i was hearing. He then advised if I wasn't happy I should speak to Julie who might give me a free coffee. I asked if she was the manager and he said no, I am the Manager!

I told him if he was the manager then he needed to deal with the situation. I asked one final time for some form of compensation and he simply shrugged his shoulders and said again the we chose to sit there.

I have never felt so undervalued as a customer and will never return. AVOID!

8 Thank Jim P
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Caters for all members of the family”
Reviewed May 31, 2014

Really interesting different venue with nice menu and stawberry tarts from heaven and homemade soup delicious.
Every member of staff in cafe and shop were friendly and efficient .
Great playground for children ,nice sitting out area ,bistro style indoor cafe in old stables very rustic..

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Celurca
Montrose, United Kingdom
“Great place”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Carlton Farm is a great place to met friends for coffee or lunch. The lunch menu is very good, fresh and local veg and they have the most delicious cakes, all homemade and with the fresh fruit that they grow on the farm. In the summer they have pick your own raspberries, strawberries and blackberries. For the children they have a great wooden fort for them to play in,loads of toys, and go karts for the older children. They also have 2 very clean sand pits.

• Visited May 2014