“Good value, nice atmosphere”

The George Hotel Restaurant and Bar
Ranked #4 of 47 Restaurants in Montrose
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Scottish
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: We are a family run hotel with 25 bedrooms, situated on 3 floors. We do not have lift access to bedrooms. Breakfast included in all room rates. Food is served daily Mon - Thurs 12 - 2.00pm, 5 - 9.30pm, Fri, Sat & Sunday all day from 12 noon through to 9.30pm. Dining and function room available for private functions. We can cater for large or small functions including Hen Parties, Weddings, Christenings, Cocktail Parties, Birthday's.
Anchorage
“Good value, nice atmosphere”
Reviewed July 9, 2014

It would appear we had better service than some - not the Ritz, but thoroughly acceptable. Food was better than chain but still fairly plain, over-cooked to my taste, but perhaps not for the locales that had the place packed at lunch. I was impressed by the better than average portions and overall ingredient quality. I'd visit again for convenience and a decent meal, perhaps not as a destination restaraunt.

• Visited July 2014

Angus, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

How disappointing !!! Had lunch here today for Father's Day - very average food but the biggest problem was shocking service!!! Totally disinterested in us altogether. Had to wait ages for plates to be cleared and for next courses and the place was not busy at all- perhaps other people knew better than lunch here. The two servers were only interested in sorting out the bar area and not giving us a second glance til we caught their attention. Won't be back.

1 Thank janegettings
Angus
“Great meal.......”
Reviewed June 13, 2014

Phoned at 6:45 and managed to book a table for 7pm. Been turned away before because they were so busy. Nice to see more staff on so everything was done very efficiently . Haggis Baji for starter with spicy dip. Gorgeous........good sized portion for main.....highly recommend .......

• Visited June 2014
“Great food, poor service”
Reviewed June 9, 2014 via mobile

Went to The George with my wife and another couple. We've been many times before and always loved the food.

This time, the food was top notch as always. The service though was embarrassing.

Maybe it was her 1st night or something. Her male colleagues were no better either.

1st sign of trouble was her accusing us of double booking! We didn't!

Then the food order, wife wanted half chips/half rice with her sizzling chicken, not a strange request as she'd had it before. Can't be done was the response as it would annoy the chef, who was already in a foul mood. She eventually said she would ask the chef if we could do that. Then she asks my friend if she would like half and half with her Curry as you could do it with that. We all just laughed!!!!

Starters came out, all very tasty. Haggis Bhajis! Try them!!!

Then my friend got her Curry and being the polite girl she is waited on the rest of our tables food arriving. 2 minutes later a waiter comes over to whip the plate away saying that's not yours, very sorry and he proceeds to take it to another table to it's rightful owner!!! We were all utterly gob smacked at the incompetence of the normally excellent service.

Our mains arrived, all very nice. Portion size has always been my main problem with this place, just too much on the plates, a look round at the amounts of food on folks plates would still back that up. I had a double George burger, and it was massive, had to leave some chips though to leave room for dessert!

We all managed dessert, raspberry and lime cheesecake. Perfect!

Not bad price either, £100 for the 4 of us. 3 courses for all but one of us with 4 soft drinks and 4 pints of lager. Good value we reckoned.

Although the service was at times an embarrassment, the food made up for it. We'll be back no doubt, hopefully the service will be back to normal.

Scotland, United Kingdom
“Another fab lunch!”
Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

I attended mass in Montrose with my Mum who has visited after 1.5 years away. So I decided to take her to George Hotel for lunch as we had always enjoyed our food there. We weren't disappointed!

I ordered my favourite Chicken Stroganoff and my Mum tried the Jumbo Prawn Thai Curry. Both were absolutely delicious! Hats off to the chef.

The service was very quick and friendly as always.

Will definitely come back again.