“The Montrose Sculptor William Lamb”

William Lamb Memorial Studio
Ranked #14 of 17 things to do in Montrose
More attraction details
Owner description: Formerly the studio of sculptor William Lamb, this museum was paid for by the commission the artist received for his sculptures of Queen Elizabeth II and the Queen Mother.
Montrose, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“The Montrose Sculptor William Lamb”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

This studio is well worth a visit in Momtrose. It is stuated just off Market Street in the centre of Montrose. William Lamb was a remarkable man injured in World War one he produced Sculptures of amazing quality.
He used local people as his subjects/models and adopted the seafaring culture of the town. The Minesweeper, Bill the Smith, the Wisper, La Parasail { Peter Pan ] to name but a few of his SCulptures. I dont think he ever got the proper recognition his work deserved even to this day.
I would heartily reccommend a visit to this studio as I am sure you will find it fascinating.

Visited March 2013

scotland
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Lamb is Seriously Under rated”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

This is a superb collection of sculpture and drawings/etchings by a gifted artist whose time of serious recognition has, I think, yet to come.

I have been aware of this collection for most of my adult life and feel the need to re- visit it more often as I get older and understand more of Lamb's genius. I can guess that he has not been accorded the status I think his work merits mostly because he lacks a personal/ signature/ easily identifiable style - that lets the visitor say "that's a "Lamb"

His work is far more subtle than that - each sculpture capturing the spirit [as Lamb saw it] of the sitter and reflecting an approach to it that matched the sculpture style to the subject and the aura deriving therefrom.

I think the real quality lies in the drawings , some of which I think are unparalleled in Scotland.. Simply superb!

I can only think that Lamb has yet to attain the status, I'm sure he warrants, solely because he was able in so many ways and found the ability to approach each sculpture, drawing, or other work in a style matched to the subject and let that inform how he delivered it.

Because of that determination to let the subject speak, he never quite evolved his own signature style.Why should he?? Doubt if it ever crossed his mind to do so.

Does the fact that he never set out to get himself a label make him a better or worse artist?

I think that it might just delay the time of his proper recognition, but he has to be right at the top end of Scottish art of the 20th Century.

The venue is managed by really well.informed women who are enthusiastic, helpful and able to give you real insights to the collection.

It's well worth a long journey. You can't be disappointed.

Thank you.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank ugieb151
London, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Well worth a visit”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

For those interested in art, the studio is a 'must-see' - it must have one of the most comprehensive collections of an artist's work in the UK. For those not so fussed by sculpture (and the excellent collection of drawings) Lamb's life story is sufficient reason to pop in.

Visited August 2013
Montrose, United Kingdom
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“William Lamb Studio is worth a visit.”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

The William Lamb Studio in Montrose is open from 2pm to 5pm Tuesday to Saturday each week From late June until the end of August. It is worth a visit and there are superb sculptures by this internationally recognised sculptor of the Queen, and her sister Princess Margaret when they were children, as well as Hugh MacDiarmid. Most of the sculptures in the studio are of the inhabitants of the town and neighbourhood, concentrating upon working class models, especially from the fishing community.

Visited July 2013
Tampa, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Art in the heart of Montrose”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I was fortunate to grow up spending my summers in Montrose - a nice change of pace from the USA. As an adult in his 40s, I am not travelling over as much as I'd like, but I do find time every few years to return and visit my family and enjoy our roots.

It wasn't until my last visit several years ago that I decided to check out William Lamb's studio. As an artist, I was bowled over at the skill he displayed - not only in his etchings, but also his sculpture. What made it even more amazing was that his right hand was injured during the war, so he had to re-learn his craft using his left hand. That's unbelievable.

Overall, the staff was tremendously helpful, and the studio is charming. You won't be disappointed. On top of that, it's located in a lovely seaside town which is near and dear to my heart. What could be better?

Visited July 2012