“Never Again!”

$14.76*
Battle of Bannockburn Visitor Centre Entrance Ticket
Ranked #2 of 22 things to do in Montrose
More attraction details
Owner description: This beautiful Georgian house was built in the 18th century for David Erskine, a judge of the Scottish Court of Session. House of Dun is just 3 miles from Montrose and its picturesque unspoilt beaches and around 45 minutes’ drive from Aberdeen. Set amongst the splendid Victorian gardens and woodlands, this elegant home has a truly spectacular setting. The house sits in its own formal gardens with parkland and woodland beyond. You can explore and enjoy the Victorian walled garden and wooded den, before venturing further afield to the Montrose Basin Local Nature Reserve. We have moved away from the traditional tour where we would be describing in detail the family, house and collection, our tour now centres on the key players in the history of the house, and the part they played. There will be many opportunities during the tour to discover for yourself the architecture and hidden gems within the house. The first tour starts at 10.45 and thereafter every 45 minutes, the last tour is 3.15pm During April, May, June and September the last Sunday of each month we open the house to freeflow, where you can visit the house and at your leisure take time to enjoy the marvelous collection of ceramics, needlework, plasterwork, artwork and of course grand architecture In July and August every Sunday is freeflow. What to See and Do You’ll hear about the trials and tribulations faced by William Adam in designing and building the house, discover the ornate plasterwork – originally the work of Joseph Enzer, who had made a name for himself with decorative plasterwork in a number of grand Scottish houses – and unearth eccentric period equipment such as the ‘boot bath’ from the 1800s. However, a visit to the House of Dun is about more than just the house. To the east of the house is a rectangular walled garden and there are more gardens to the south, separated from the surrounding countryside by a ha-ha, a vertical drop intended to allow for open views while keeping the sheep out.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Activities for young children, Stairs / elevator
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Wow, what a horrible man!
We visited the House of Dun with our family. 2 of the party are children. A 18 month old and a six year old. Whist not keen on the new set up of lockers its was understandable. However I was told I had to put in my handbag & nappy bag. I squashed them all in. Damaging the contents of my handbag and leaving me out any provisions for my daughter. We were then told to leave the pram in case we damaged anything in the property. Whist I understand the sentiment (I work in a Museum) its simply crazy. Have you never seen the damage a 18 month old can do! Much safer strapped in their pram. Also she was asleep so I would have to wake her to leave the pram. No one can enjoy a visit with a cranky crying baby in the party. So I decided not to go on the tour didnt want to spoil it for the rest of the party and decided wait in the cafe. I got the cafe and was told I couldnt bring the pram in their either and would have to sit outside. No thanks it was raining!

So I walked back into the courtyard to wait. I then watched the Manager pull into the courtyard and park his car in a disabled parking space. His legs seemed to work fine to me! I approached him to talk to him about my experiences. He was beyond rude. I explained we had been many many times and we had never had a problem taking the pram in. When we came at easter or to see Santa - He said that s a lie you would never have been allowed to!! I couldnt believe he was calling me a liar!

Such a shame as we love the House of Dun & has always been one of favourite days out. The House is stunning and so well maintained. The interpretations are informative. The other members of the Team are lovely and informed and seem to have a real love of the house.

8  Thank sally N

Reviewed September 1, 2013

The house is guided tour only and takes about 1.5 hours. The guide was very knowledgeable and interesting. The café served good food and there were a few interesting craft shops on site. We also went on one of the nature walks, which was very quiet and peaceful. A really nice day out.

1  Thank jaydeeAberdeen
Houseofdun, Manager at House of Dun, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

Many thanks delighted that you enjoyed your visit to Dun

Reviewed August 29, 2013

The whole experience of this beautiful Adams House is a must and the guides give wonderful insight into the house including all the family history. The Saloon plasterwork is quite incredible with history oozing out of every corner. The tall stately Wellingtonia Sequoia lining part of the drive is so beautiful. And there are also walks in the formal and wild gardens.

1  Thank Avril S
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We are members of the National Trust for Scotland and I did the tour a little while back. I found the tour informative, very interesting & witty at times.
On this visit I took family and friends on the first tour of the day. As we had 2 dogs within the group I drew the short straw and I took the dogs for a walk round the beautiful gardens and extended wooded walks. On my walks I met the volunteer gardeners who all took great pride in the work they were carrying out and all were very informative. If we had time I would have loved to do the tour round the house again.

1  Thank BlackpoolBrian
Houseofdun, Manager at House of Dun, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Many thanks for feedback on your recent visit.
We have volunteers who come from all over the world as part of their university placement to work at Dun, as a result we really get ahead of nature and the results are what you have seen for yourself, we look forward to welcoming you back to Dun in the future.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

The House of Dun is a small National Trust property close to Montrose. The guided tour was excellent. The plaster work in the ballroom has to be seen to be believed. A visit is worth making for this alone.

The lady in the craft shop in the courtyard is extremely knowledgable about wild flowers.

Been to House of Dun? Share your experiences!