“Comfortable stay”
Review of Park Hotel

Park Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Montrose
Reviewed May 25, 2012

Location is convenient, if you are in Montrose, and there is easy car parking. The welcome was really friendly and the hotel staff were friendly and helpful except at breakfast. The barmaid seemed a little batty but nice. The hotel is showing its age in some places and the walk to the room reminded me of my school back in the 70's! The room was clean and tidy and the TV wa really good. Not many channels though. As with the other Scottish hotels I visited recently (Ardoe and The Links) there was no WiFi in the room. Unlike the Links, at least it was available in the bar and worked fine. We avoided the bar menu (the food looked like typical bar food) and went to the Carlton where I had the best Steak Pie I've had for ages. Apart from the WiFi I think I prefer The Links but I don't think Montrose has got used to the 21st century yet!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 25, 2012

We called into the Park Hotel looking for accommodation on our way from Aberdeen and due to a conference been held in Aberdeen we were unable to find anything available. The Park Hotel were also fully booked so the wonderful staff and manager made many phone calls and checked the Internet for us until they found us a B&B in another town.
We were so grateful and would like to thank them so much for their assistance. If this is the service they provide for people not staying with them then we can only imagine the service they would provide for their guests.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 15, 2012 via mobile

Clean fairly modern interior and room . Free wifi was fast and reliable and free. menu extensive - smoked salmon starter was excellent .

Some noise disturbance from outside the front door which was below my room presumably where other guests go to smoke .

Shower quite weak but adequate .

Overall still above average and would stay again

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed April 13, 2012

We had our Ruby Wedding party at the hotel on the 7th of April it was an excellent night many thanks to Grace and the rest of the staff who couldnt have been more helpful and friendly. The food and service and the function room was excellent. Some guests stayed overnight all reported nice rooms comfortable beds (apart from my son and his wife who had a lumpy mattress?) everyone mentioned how good the breakfast was. My sister had her grand daughter with her and the staff provided hard boiled eggs so she could roll her Easter egg on the way home.
Great place for this type of do.
If you need a band try Mandate first class.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 14, 2012

We had a great stay at the Park Hotel. The food in the restaurant was excellent: the food in the evening was very good - a wide range to choose of on the menu and everything beautifully cooked. The breakfast too was very nicely prepared and presented.

All of the staff that we met were very helpful and friendly.

The room we stayed in was fine - fairly simple and perhaps could do with better sound insulation; but the room was very clean, the shower was good and the bed was very comfortable.

Our stay was also excellent value for money.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 4, 2012

Was part of a team of 22 staying here for a fireteam refresher course, it was a lottery on the type of room you received, i drew the short straw and had a tiny room with twin single beds, the shower was tepid even when put on the max heat option.
The restaurant food was great, but the service was poor, i think the staff must have been on a smile sharing scheme because a dourer, unhappy bunch i have yet to come across.
Definately must try harder with customer care

Room Tip: Try and avoid twin single room
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed February 1, 2012

I am staying at the park for business, and I am now in my fourth month staying here. I have stayed in a very wide selection of rooms, varying from twin to family and executive rooms.

I have also tried everything on the menu in this time.

Rooms:

Rooms are numbered from 201-468 then a seperate outbuilding of 5 rooms 501-505.

The best rooms and the ones you should be requesting when booking are in the 200 series, as this is the main building. If possible book rooms 217(double) and 216 (family) are on their own. And you won't be bothered by other guests these rooms have the best wifi signal in the hotel. Failing that, 208 has a jacuzzi, and 205-207 have been recently refurbished and are the nicest decorated rooms. Although wifi signal in 205-207 is non-existant. These rooms also suffer from no cold water as hot comes from both taps!

Any room starting with a 3 or 4 are your basic rooms, and are quite old fashioned. Avoid at all costs 467 and 468. They have an adjoining door, Let's just say the couple next to me that week had some good nights!

All rooms have a HDTV with hdmi inputs on the side (handy for games console) sockets for phone chargers next to the bed can be difficult to locate. And some rooms have sockets on opposite ends of the rooms (mostly 400 series rooms) so keep that in mind.

Showers are generally excellent in all rooms. But extractor fans will have you wishing you had earplugs!

Food:

Portions are big, and the food is of a very high quality. Specials rotate almost on a bi-weekly basis. Soups are very good.

Although slightly pricer than other restaurants in Montrose, you won't get a bad meal.

My recommendations are. Breaded haddock and chips, steak pie, and the burger (cooked medium, which trust me sounds funny, but the meat is minced on a per burger basis and takes away the dryness of a well done burger) also the Belgian waffles on the desert menu are epic. They are what every guest should experience!

Fillet steak is also very good, but chefs tend to overcook. Go rare if you like medium-rare etc.

Staff:

Staff are generally fine with the exception of a few. I won't name names, but 2 of the female serving staff are always grumpy, we used to take bets if she would slam the drinks down on the table or not!

The younger girls are much friendlier. And the guys are good too. Reception staff are always very friendly and helpful. As is the manager.

Car parking:

Parking is tight if you have a big car, there are more rooms than spaces, but you generally find a space ok.

I hope I've helped a little, 4 months here has let me give you all some tips which I hope will help someone.

Cheers all!

• Stayed: October 2011
5  Thank Silverbullet767
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montrose
Links Hotel
Carnoustie Golf Course Hotel
Northern Hotel
Northern Hotel
#2 of 2 in Brechin

Been to Park Hotel? Share your experiences!