“Nice Staff.....”
Review of Park Hotel

Park Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Montrose
Reviewed August 14, 2011

Stayed here for two nights in August. I arrived late, but was just able to get an evening meal before the Restaurant closed. The food was fine, and I had the famous Banana Dessert, which has previously been mentioned. I thought it was OK. The staff were excellent. I had a room on the top floor, which meant there was a few stairs to climb. I noticed whilst going up the floor levels how hot it was, and this, unfortunately, was what would prevent me from staying here again.. it was just so uncomfortable in the room (it wasn't that warm outside). I had the windows open and a fan (which was supplied) on all night. I don't think I slept for more than a couple of hours. The layout of the room was OK (not a lot of space) with ensuite bathroom. A minor irritation...no shelf in the bathoom to put your toiletries on. The WiFi was not available (I always find this irritating when hotels advertise it, and then you find it's unavailable or of poor quality) I ordered room service breakfast (continental)... after it arrived, I realised that I hadn't got what I asked for, but as I was running late, I didn't have time to get it rectified... what good is Jam and Butter without toast? - fundamental ! Car Park avaiable, and a reasonable size. I would class this accomodation as a large B & B rather than a Hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for room on a lower floor
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Park Hotel

Reviewed August 5, 2011

We booked in for 2 nights dinner, bed and breakfast through a short breaks website and got a reasonable deal.

When we arrived, the receptionist was very friendly and efficient. She gave us the password for the free wifi and also found us the number for the local garage - we were having car problems.

The rooms we were given was clean and recently redecorated. Large plasma TV, reasonable power in the shower and comfortable beds.

Our deal allowed us £20 each towards ordering dinner from the menu. Food was more or less edible put pretty disappointing. I got the impression that there wasn't a chef in the kitchen, just someone assembling platefuls according to instructions.

I ordered smoked salmon as a starter (over £6). What came was a large plate of shredded lettuce with a few curls of salmon in it - and about a tablespoon of whole capers. Bread and butter came on a separate plate, to give the illusion of value for money. I ordered "home made" leek and brie tart as my main course. When it came, the top was dark brown (blowtorch?) but it tasted OK. It was accompanied by a large portion of chunky tomato and basil sauce which smelled very strong and would have looked at home on top of spaghetti - I kept it well away from my quiche.

My husband had equally uninspiring first courses, but the puddings were the worst. I ordered grilled banana with ice cream and butterscotch sauce. Someone had taken an over-ripe banana (brown bits) and cut it into large chunks. I think the iceceam and sauce had been added and then the whole lot had been put in the microwave to give the impression of the banana being grilled. The icecream was liquid and the pudding looked a mess. My husband had strawberry merangue. Large and sweet, but with only one strawberry. Montrose is in Angus, the soft fruit capital of Scotland. Could they not have served local strawberries with cream or ice cream?

We had been directed to a table round the corner in a raised area and couldn't see any other diners - a bit eery. However, when we got up to leave, we saw a few others near the bar.

The breakfast, on the other hand, was excellent - a buffet of traditional cooked Scottish fare with coffee/tea/toast served on request.

I couldn't see anything about the hotel (e.g. interesting public rooms, activities) that would make you want to hang around - it is definitely just a place to eat (breakfast) and sleep in.

We left a day early due to car/health problems. Receptionist expressed genuine concern.

I would be happy to stay here on a bed and breakfast basis if I got a good price - but I wouldn't stay for dinner. They really should get someone knowledgeable in to review what they are dishing up - or even someone who likes food.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 28, 2011

Stayed here for two nights while on charity walk with 17 others. Rooms very clean and good size. Staff very friendly and breakfast and evening meal all well worth the money. I would recommend this hotel and was best of any stayed at during my walk.

• Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed May 19, 2011

Stayed at the Park one night B&B with a work colleague on Monday 16th May 2011. Twin cost £97 which I thought was a bit expensive. (we always book a twin room to keep costs down) Hotel was quite shoddy and could really do with a bit of an overhaul in terms of decor. Front desk staff and bar staff were adequately friendly but lacked enthusiasm. Room ok - great shower and towels. Breakfast - served from 7am. We were ten minutes early - two ladies preparing for breakfast asked us to come back in a couple of minutes. Normally ten minutes early is ok - you can get your orange juice and cereal - but not here. Returned at 7am - we picked our own table and helped ourselves to juice and cereal. The younger of the two waitresses asked if we wanted tea or coffee and requested our room number. She was miserable - a long face and bad attitude. No explanation regarding buffet arrangement or alternatives. Luckily, the menu was quite comprehensive and we didnt need any help. We observed her dealing with other residents - same thing - very abrupt - not even a glimmer of a smile.

Cooked breakfast was very good quality.

I wouldnt recommend this hotel unless it was at about £60 per night twin B&B. At that rate you could accept shoddy decor and unhappy staff.

Montrose by the way - lovely old sandstone buildings - it was like going back in time walking down some of the side streets.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank sunnywhitehead
Reviewed August 27, 2010

this was my first visit to this hotel, and hopefully it wont be my last.
my wife and i spent two nights here and thoroughly enjoyed it.
there was nothing we could fault , the staff were excellent , the room we had was a revelation, the food was brilliant, perhaps a wee spruce up round the entrance wouldnt go amiss, but , yes, what a hotel.
i would recomend the park hotel to anyone .

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 30, 2010

Stayed for two nights in this hotel with my husband and I have nothing but positive things to say about it. When we arrived we were taken to our room, which was fine, but we couldn't get the shower/bath to work. We called down to reception and they promptly responded and could not get it to work either. The member of staff asked if we would like to move to another room as she couldn't figure it out either. We were moved to a lovely room with a jacuzzi bath for no extra charge. The breakfasts were lovely and we ate in the restaurant both nights, which was reasonably priced and tasty. Overall a very good experience.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 4, 2010

I stayed at the Park Hotel with my family for 1 night. We ate in the restaurant for lunch and dinner and the food was well priced, and tasty. The breakfast in the morning was delicious. We had a family room at the top of the hotel, and it was spacious and clean.
Hotel staff were friendly and efficient. Could not fault this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montrose
Links Hotel
Northern Hotel
Northern Hotel
#2 of 2 in Brechin
Carnoustie Golf Course Hotel

Been to Park Hotel? Share your experiences!