“Horrible Experience!!”

and 1 more site!
The Limes Guest House
Ranked #9 of 18 Montrose B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 4, 2012

I’ll try to start with the positive, and say that the Limes was spotlessly clean, unfortunately that's where the good things end!
The landlady of the house made me feel like I was in a boarding school, not staying as a guest, a paying guest at that!
Having arrived late with no one there to greet us and explain the “rules” we were told off the next morning for taking our room keys out of the hotel, never mind the expensive equipment we had in our rooms, the keys should have been left beside the front door!
Breakfast had to be ordered the night before, no exceptions, and when that arrived the sausages were raw in the middle, I would have sent them back but the lady serving was more interested in telling me off for not finishing, and what a waste of food I had left, I would have spoken back but for the fact she had walked off in the huff.
To really rub things in, friends were staying in various B&B’s in Montrose and had wonderful stories about their hosts flexibility, I was green with envy!
When the bill had to be paid, the bad aspects of this place were drummed in even further, it’s not cheap, I handed over my cash whilst being told I was the rudest and most impatient person she had ever met…… I’m very fond of Montrose and will be back, guess where I won’t be staying, and I recommend you don’t either.

Room Tip: Don't, seriously, book elsewhere
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank MTBChris

Reviewed February 12, 2012

Where to start? I have stayed in The Limes before my stay last week for a two week period and although the Guest House rooms where cramped and lacked a desk to work at/eat the friendly staff made up for this.

This time however there was a few things that annoyed me so much that I wlll never return to The Limes. Namely;

1, The owners insist all the lights are turned off, all the time. The Lights in the Entrance way, Hall ways and rooms are always turned off and they berate you if you dare to leave any on. So you walk around in near darkness all the time. If you leave your room light on in the morning they will complain on your return. To top if off I and my fellow colleague noted that someone would enter our rooms in the early evening if they seen a room light had been left on. In my opinion this is disgracefully invasion of my privacy as they must have been keeping an eye out for who was out for the evening then entering their room to see if any lights had been left on.

2, Every morning the thermostat on the Radiators would be turned right down and the room would be freezing on our return in the late afternoon. With the recent cold snap putting the outside temp in the minus degree's this is disgraceful. Daily I would put the heating up to full to combat the cold and daily I would find it was turned down to the lowest setting. Keep in mind its a very old house so insulation is not good.

3, Although the breakfast was good and there was more than enough food you have to put down the night before what you would wish to eat. If you change your mind in the morning and request something different it is met with scowls and mumbling under breath.

4, One of my colleagues had the misfortune of breaking a pane of glass in the inner porch door front door when returning late one evening.It was a complete accident and he decided to wait till morning to inform the owners. He rose at 05:45 to do so and by 06:00 he had informed them and offered to pay for the damage. He was met with not only anger but insults from the owner.They accused him of being drunk, an idiot and other insults, all which where unjustified and untrue.

5, If you are over 6 foot tall (1.8m) then be prepared to sleep in the foetal position as the beds are too short.

All in all it was an unpleasant stay and not one I would like to repeat.

Room Tip: Stay in one of the Hotels in the town.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
6  Thank trigger_andy
Marlene233, Owner at The Limes Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

I strongly reject the negative things that have been quoted in this review, first of all our heating is on 24 hours a day from beginning of October right through till April, so this is a VERY strangel remark to make the heating can be fully regulated in EVERY room to the guests requirements so this is rubbish about the rooms being cold!! as for the lighting, we do try and save some energy and when we think everyone is in or should be in we do turn lights down but the house is NOT dark because of fire exit door signs illuminated of course Andy being with a group of Norwegians who keep VERY late hours and not fully 'compes mentas' when you come in here with a 'good' drink in you does not help you to navigate yourself to your room!!! As for the broken glass, well, as far as Health and Safety goes that your company instil in you, the person that was responsible for this vandalism had been drinking since 5pm till AT LEAST MIDNIGHT SO I REST MY CASE!! ALSO this was not reported until 8AM the next morning and it was NO ACCIDENT!! contrary to what you have all closed ranks to make up, maybe you have a grievance with us because of the fact that you were ALL reported to your company, also yourself for soiling the bed and the first room that you were in the first time you stayed you left the curtain hanging over the bedside lamp which caused a huge burn hole in it and could EASILY have caused a fire, again, a night you had been out drinking, we don't have any problem with people going out in the evening for a drink but what certain guests seem to forget that this is OUR HOME TOO but unfortunately some people have absolutely NO RESPECT for this....one final remark Andy, you have said your reasons for not returning to the Limes, well, let me tell you, you are BANNED from here anyway!! Marlene Scott (Owner)

Reviewed June 9, 2011

Stayed here while in Montrose for the music festival , we arrived to a warm and friendly welcome and was showed to our room which was more than big enough for the 3 of us, the room was bright , clean and had all the homely extras tv,coffee making facilities etc
The breakfast in the morning was lovely, plenty choices and cooked to perfection.
There is a lovely conservatory in the garden which is lovely to chill in with the sun was shining.
Would highly recommend a stay in The Limes if in the Montrose area.
Will definitely be returning very soon :)

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 2, 2010

Spouse and I stayed 3 nights in mid September 2010 while in area conducting family genealogy research. The facility was overall very clean, and the hostess – Marlene – most informative and efficient. Location was fine, not a very attractive street (flats, multiple family homes) but very near to main center of Montrose. Breakfast was varied, you could order various dishes, well organized and the food was good. The room we stayed in was crowded. It had a double bed and 2 single beds – one straight back chair and not much room to move around. We placed our luggage on the single beds – there was no where else to put it - except on the floor where we would have had to hop over it! The bathroom, while immaculate, lacked a shelf, and we both had to put our toiletries on top of the toilet. With two of us there was not sufficient space – tooth paste, for example fell to the floor. A simple shelf in the bathroom would have alleviated this annoyance. So overall the stay was fine – and I would stay here again, but I would first look for a place with larger rooms before I did.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank scscientist
Marlene233, Owner at The Limes Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2013

This was a family room that you stayed in and to be fair, we do have families of 4 who require rooms like this to accommodate them all to sleep in, we do have rooms that do sleep just 2 persons but unfortunately we only had that family room available when you stayed, we so supply complimentary toiletries within the shower compartments and we do have toothbrush holders above the wash hand basins, unfortunately, we do have some guests that come with a lot of different toiletries which do require a bit more space, bedrooms are for sleeping in and as we have a very spacious residents lounge for people to relax in there is no reason for you to have to sit in a 'small' room, we actually get quite a bit of feedback from guests who have stayed in other establishments in the town that say the rooms they have are just a fraction of the size of ours but as we have found over the past twenty two years there are people with different preferences and likes, we have a lot of guests that leave very good comments in our guest book which gives us reasons to believe that we must be doing some things right for all the return business we have had over the years!! Marlene Scott (Owner)

Also consider these accommodations in or near Montrose
Links Hotel
3 mi away
Eskview Farm B&B
Eskview Farm B&B
#4 of 18 in Montrose

Been to The Limes Guest House? Share your experiences!