“Great high tea”

Osnaburg Bar Limited
Ranked #12 of 53 Restaurants in Forfar
Cuisines: Gastropub
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Osnaburg is where a pub crashes into a restaurant. An excellent gastro pub in which food and drink are treated with equal reverence.Our bar is a warm, relaxed and comfortable environment located beside Asda and Forfar Swimming Pool.You will find something for all tastes in our eclectic menu which ranges from Cajun Chicken to our famous home made quarter pounder burger. We source locally an
Forfar, Scotland
“Great high tea”
Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

My mum n i Went here for our tea on friday night the staff were Very welcoming. A member of staff took us to the lounge and Asked what we would like to drink n If we wanted a starter. We ordered haggis n blackpudding cakes for a starter to share n it was fantastic. For main course my mum had chicken suprem and i had Lamb cutlets n we got a slection of potatos n veg i have never seen so much food but it was fantastic i would go back there again.

Dundee
“Pretentious, poor quality food, poorly presented.”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

The Oz used to be a great pub with good quality, well priced pub grub...not any more. A change of chef has seen a attempt to become a "gastro pub". But it falls woefully short of the mark. Inedible, poorly cooked food, tons of it, piled on a wooden platter does not a gastro pub make... If quantity is your sole concern you will love it but there is no quality about the standard if fare on sale here. Serving soggy chips in a wire basket does not represent good presentation. A cremated burger atop a split roll loaded with salad that is too big to pick up is an obvious and ill conceived attempt at a gourmet burger...and does EVERYTHING...even the sloppy mac and cheese HAVE to be garnished with a strawberry?

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank LocalFoodieBoy
Osnaburg, Owner at Osnaburg Bar Limited, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Thank you for your review. My chef was very upset at your comments as was I. She was going to take the burger off the menu but I pointed out that she had sold the same home made burger to 11 others on Saturday that did enjoy it. I'm really not sure why you actually came for lunch on Saturday unless it was the intention to discredit the business. I recall your complaint about a meal when sue the chef started working here. You complained to me that you didn't like the baskets - or the burger that you had also ordered in June or the wire baskets. I recall your comments that the food was pretentious. Really unsure as to why you came back and ordered a burger again? You specifically asked what the burger was served with and didn't not request the salad nachos and relishes ?? Despite knowing what was served and that it was served with a board. The chef could easily have adapted the meal to exclude the "wire baskets" or board. It is very hard to make business work in a precarious industry and I think that the intention of ordering the same as what you did before was to discredit it. I note you did t pay for the meal .
“Lovely Lunch”
Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

Finding ourselves child free during the day for the first time in 12 years, my husband and I decided to try out the Os for lunch as we had read and heard excellent reviews. We were not disappointed. We were shown to our seats and informed what the soup of the day was and what pasta dish they were serving. The menu has choices for all tastes and we could have picked anything from a sandwich to steak pie. My husband chose the Cajun burger and I chose the cheese salad sandwich. We were advised that as the burger was hand made and relatively thick, it would take around 20 minutes to cook. Our food looked and tasted wonderful. The portions were extremely generous (we had prepared ourselves for this!) and we both needed only a light evening meal as a result. Everything was fresh and delicious (my bugbear is salad that is past it's best). The bread was thick and soft. My husband really enjoyed his burger and all the accompanying relishes. We both had chips and they were amazing! Homemade, thick and crunchy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. The pub was fairly busy when we were in with a group of men having coffee/business meeting, groups of friends old and young having lunch and a few people in just for a pint. It was very relaxed and the owner was at ease and coped well with everyone. I would heartily recommend The Osnaberg to you all.

2 Thank Arabgirlie
Marbella, Spain
“good food great value”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Went for tea and had the fajitas,and the chicken casserole for 2,food very good but lacks any atmosphere and could be doing with being updated,but not bad at all.

• Visited October 2013
Many thanks for your review! I completely agree that the place needs upgraded! This is due to be completed in the week commencing 11tg November:-)
Hopefully see you when the renovations are complete!
Many Thanks
Karen
Forfar
“My New Local!”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Had lunch in the bar today. Holy cow! Portions were massive and delicious, really good daily specials, service was great, food came quickly, prices very reansonable indeed. Can't fault the place - it's even dog-friendly.

Hopefully see you when the renovations are complete!
Many Thanks