“I would not waste my money going here again !!!!!”

Chapelbank House Hotel & Restaurant
Chapelbank House Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 16 Forfar B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 9, 2010

Like the previous reviewer, I too had been here but at Christmas and the food was wonderful. I was raving about it to my husband so we went back for our anniversary at the weekend. What a let-down. My hubby had fish and chips which he said was OK but a bit dry, however I had ordered "hot smoked salmon salad with new potatoes". When I got it I was so surprised I actually asked the waitress if this was the correct dish. There was no salad at all, just a piece of COLD smoked salmon on a bed of mayonnaise with some potatoes and herbs in it. Just like potato salad you would buy in Tesco!!! When I asked about the salad the waitress said it was mixed in with the potato salad!!! There were little bits of green in it but to be honest was no better than shop bought tubs. And there wasnt much of it - I had to have a piece of hubbys fish or it was off to the takeaway shop on the way home. Needless to say we didnt bother with dessert!!!!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank dizzybee44
There are newer reviews for Chapelbank House Hotel & Restaurant

Reviewed August 7, 2010

we went for valentines meal after it opened it was excellent the food was lovely. We have just been back for my birthday and it was so disappointing the chicken skewer was awful dry and little or no seasoning on it , it was supposed to red curry. herb rice was just plain boiled white rice with a little bit of herb, no idea what through it. my husband had sea bream and rissotto which he said was okay but not delicious. we had antipasti to start which you cant go wrong with and sticky toffee pudding to end just because I wanted cheered up it was okay again but not stunning I make better. I wonder if the initial enthusiasm has gone. I don't think we will risk it again. we feel we wasted £45.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank bonnie12cat
Reviewed July 25, 2010

With three friends went to The Open golf and as a result we chose this hotel purley as a result of an internet search. What a find!! My room was beautifully decorated with the most comfortable hotel bed i think i've ever slept in. Usual tea makings etc with lovely biscuits!! We had a couple of very early starts and Lorraine, the Housekeeper, was helpfulness itself. Our breakfast was truly lovely even at that time of the day !! Selection of cereal and fruit etc very impressive. Nothing was ever too much trouble for Lorraine and she even went out and purchased some Heinz beans for one of my friends!!!!
We had dinner one evening in the Bistro at the Hotel. The food was simply delicious with a wide selection to suit any taste and reasonably priced. The sweet course was particularly exceptional (loads of calories!!!!!! great!!!! With the two terrible sisters!!!!! Heather and Emma the (very attractive !!!) waitresses, we had a ball that evening. Emma and Heather were really great fun, friendly always smiling and had a joke with us throughout the evening, but always professional.
This is a very friendly comfortable hotel, with an excellent bistro serving lovely food at reasonable prices. Lorraine, Heather and Emma are gems and made our stay so memorable. Would not hesitate to recommend.

Alan Melhuish, Weston super Mare

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank sunningdale99
Reviewed July 7, 2010

This small hotel gave us an extremely warm welcome, a spotless and comfortable room and extremely good value for money. Its bistro offered an extensive and imaginative menu and served quality food and wines. In more exotic locations than Fofar, an establishment like this would call itself "a boutique hotel" or "restaurant with rooms". Scotland needs far more places like this!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JimandJennifer
Reviewed June 30, 2010

great food, friendly staff, immaculate, lovely decor...............i could go on......... Best place by far to eat in Forfar!!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 26, 2010

Found Chapelbank by chance and was very glad it saved us from having to stay in one of Forfar's less salubrious establishments - it's a lovely place and deserves to do well. The manager, Elizabeth and her team could not do more to be helpful and welcoming.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank The_Traveller006
Reviewed May 25, 2010

I have for the past 25 years worked in the hotel industry mostly as a head chef of several rosette awarded kitchens in the north west of England, I have always been dismayed when eating out in Forfar, the lack of a geniuinely good Restaurant serving an imaginative and fresh menu has been apparent and needing addessed for a long time!!

Well finally Forfar has a good little bistro to shout about!! Chapelbank is a friendly, absorbing venue, serving good home made and prepared food with some nice imaginative twists, the food was excellent, far far better than anything being served in other hotels and restaurants in the town centre( you know who you are!!) the service while a little slow was relaxed and very friendly with attentive staff!

Please dont be put off buy the comments of a vegetarian this has been the best dining experience I have had in Forfar in 20 odd years!

Decor is crisp and vibrant offering a modern yet comfortable feel, the prices are also very good in the usual market place and offer good value for money against dearer and much poorer competitors!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank paradisebhoy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Forfar
Lands of Loyal Hotel
Chris Horsburgh's B&B
Chris Horsburgh's B&B
#7 of 16 in Forfar
Guthrie Bed and Breakfast

Been to Chapelbank House Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!