Carnoustie Golf Course Hotel
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
Travelocity
1,402 results
All reviewsleisure facilitiessteam rooman upgradelovely hoteldalhousie restaurantrelaxation roomfirst morningbirthday treata bit tiredcooked breakfastcarnoustie golf coursean overnight stayshort breakenjoyable staybroughty ferrychanging roomssea view
Reviewed May 8, 2013

This really should be a jewell.Set bang on one of the worlds greatest golf challanges one would really hope for more than what is offered. The golf view rooms offer you exactly what they say and you can watch quite happily the action unfolding on the first tee and 18th green. I am sure that when an event is on the place will be buzzing ,but on a normal day the place lacks atmosphere. The boys in bar do a grand job and are very welcoming. The resturant experinces were mixed ,will the managment please train the girls to stop saying "not a problem" when any little thing is asked for. For dinner the lighting in the dining room is so bright.
If it were mine a liitle more care and attention would be given to the rubbish tubs at the main door ,these do not seem to be empdied often enough and the ashtrays on the tables on the back patio need to be cleared and cleaned more than they are.
The course is played by many visitors ,but my guess is most ship and ship out and choose to stay ealsewhere. This really could be a good resort hotel ,but needs some inspiration. Reception staff were ok ,but seemed glued to a seat looking at a computer screen.Depending upon the rate you pay may well dictate your final view as to value. There is not much going on in Carnoustie ,Dundee is not far away ,and Monifieth is worth a look ,great links course there too.
Would not put anyone off staying here ,but if you are expecting a resort experience linked with fine dining etc this will not be it.
The venue has I think changed ownership AGAIN ,so maybe better things maybe in the planning.

Room Tip: golf view are best ,sea view next ,car park view is not great.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
gordon m, General Manager at Carnoustie Golf Course Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

Thank you for posting your comments and your considered observations which we appreciate.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed here for a short break last weekend ,(cut even shorter due to water/heating breaking down .. another story),However i felt like others this hotel is in need of some refurbishment, likewise the leisure club needs up graded looks drab, The food was okay but a bit expensive , although breakfast their was a good choice, the bar area had no atmosphere what so ever, I asked the waitress if they play background music but she said it was not their policy. the room was fine but was a bit dusty here and their! The view was good and great for golfers, however a point to bear in mind is we are not all golf lovers and we should be catered for too! perhaps some evening entertainment ? to cheer the place up.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Appreciate your comments and observations which we note with thanks.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I did not stay at this hotel on this occasion but have done in the past so thought I would give it another go. Booked a spa day for my mum, mother in law and myself as a late Mother's Day present, and having been to other hotels for spa days I had high expectations - which were definitely not met!

We arrived 5mins late which was clearly my fault but had to wait at reception for 10mins so we could find out where to go. The girls in the spa showed us where to put all our bags and my mum and mother in law got their treatments first while I went to the gym. The gym is definitely in need of an upgrade, if you can even call it a gym. The carpet outside the gym was absolutely disgusting. After, I went back to the relaxation room and was surprised to see my mother in law there as it was supposed to be 2 x 30min treatments and I had only been gone 30mins. I asked the girl why she was out so early and got told we were late so the times were cut back and she had another appt. I can understand cutting the time back but we were still due an additional 15mins!!! The girl spoke to the spa manager and was told there was nothing they could do, it was our fault - still don't understand how my mother in law only got 30mins though when my mum got an hour? Anyway after all the treatments we decided to go for a relaxing swim, the pool area is very grubby and not what I expected at all. And the changed rooms are disgusting, the showers didn't look like they had had a clean since the hotel opened! And the hair dryer looked like a Hoover noozle and there was no plugs for straighteners. Lunch was nice but again there was cobwebs hanging from the lights where we were sitting at. A very disappointing day out which was supposed to be a treat for my mum and mother in law.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Joanne M

Thank you for your comments.
Disappointed to read that you we failed to meet your expectations on this occassion and note each of your comments.
When our Spa appointment book is full and guests are late arriving, it is often unavoidable that treatments will be shortened to avoid lateness impacting on following guests.
We have made considerable investment in updating our gym equipment and continue to invest in our leisure club.
Thanks again

Reviewed May 3, 2013

Stayed recently for 3 nights with golf buddies. We paid £ 35 per night b&b which was great value. Breakfast was adequate. Appearance from outside and interior furniture/decor needs a facelift. Reception not overly helpful or what you expect from 4*. Meals in hotel were more expensive than nearby golf clubs where visitors are welcome. golf course in magnicent conditon. Overall would go back as rooms were spotless and bar/restaurant staff were excellent.

Room Tip: rooms 110-138 for great view of the golf course
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank itpl

Thank you for posting your comments following your recent stay.
Much appreciated.

Reviewed April 27, 2013

Trying to write a review of this hotel is difficult- the hotel itself is not inspirational but the view out overlooking the North Sea is! For golf lovers, the location is spot on. This is not a 5 star hotel but the rooms are spacious (no safe though!) and the shower is probably the best anywhere.The restaurant is far from Michelin Starred but the food is good and service friendly. The spa is tired but does the job. Would I stay here again. Yes 100%. Negatives- none. We've possibly become too spoilt reading about luxury hotels and ego golf courses which are rubbish. This is a good hotel with an unbelievably great golf course in a great country 1hr from London.

• Stayed: April 2013

Thank you for your very considered review, much appreciated.