“A bit more attention to detail required”

Carnoustie Golf Course Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Carnoustie
Reviewed February 19, 2013

It seems a bit churlish to criticise the hotel after thoroughly enjoying a weekend there with the girls but I hope my comments are taken in the constructive spirit in which they are intended. This hotel is in a stunning location and the staff are all extremely friendly and helpful. However, I do feel that more attention to detail and maybe a bit of spending on the decor and facilities would make it a much better place to stay. We went on a voucher deal and although there were three of us, there were only two beds in the room and also only sufficient towels etc for two people. As soon as we pointed this out, extra towels were provided and a small camp bed but it wasn't ideal. Still, it would have taken more than that to dampen our spirits! The bar food is first class - wonderful sandwiches and great staff - although the seating could do with a refurb as there are quite a few tears and scuffs. And we thought the restaurant food was fantastic and liked the set menu. Service was quick and efficient and the food was lovely and hot, with generous portions. When we came to check out on the Sunday, there was a really long delay at reception - there really needs to be more than one person checking people out on a deal weekend. I believe the hotel has just been taken over by a new group so here's hoping for a bit of investment so that the facilities do justice to the lovely staff.

Room Tip: Our room was 102 and looked out over the putting green to the sea which was a lovely quiet view.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank ColibooTravel
gordon m, General Manager at Carnoustie Golf Course Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments.
Very pleased to read your positive comments and hope to welcome you back to CVarnoustie in the future.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

We have just returned from a 2 night stay at this hotel. We went on a 5pm deal and would say this was the best deal we have had yet. On arrival we were worried because the entrance to the hotel is terrible,dirty,scruffy,not impressive at all,compared to the back of the hotel. Once inside the saying ,don't judge a book by its cover ,is perfect. Lovely hotel,bedroom has everything we needed,clean and comfortable. Restaurant meal on the first night was first class,good service and lovely dining room. Breakfasts were good with plenty of choice,second night we had a bar meal,no complaints at all. The jewel in their crown is the view of the golf course to the rear of the hotel,absolutely beautiful. We had lovely sunny weather so made things even better. We would suggest this hotel to all but please don't be put off by the front of the hotel.
Note to the owners of the hotel,clean up the front of the hotel,clean the windows,make it more attractive to your guests.

• Stayed: February 2013

Thank you for posting you review.
Delighted that you enjoyed your stay and pleased to advise that we have plans in place to improve our book cover.
Thanks again

Reviewed February 16, 2013

On my first night I walked in to reception, I stood at the end if the reception desk and stayed I had a room booked. I was asked rather crudely to move a full 3 feet to the left! I moved one step to the left and the rather dour chap swivelled on his chair. I made my way to the bar for some food, after 1 hour and 10 minutes my order was finally taken! There was only 7 other occupied tables. Over an hour later I had finished my less than average good. Over two hours for bar good!! The staff made a point of ignoring me, was I and others an inconvenience due to short staffed? I emailed the manager the following day as I felt the service was poor at best, not to mention the less than average food. I received a prompt response to which I thought my complaint would be dealt with professionally. And it got worse
Dirty room
Dirty shower
Food ordered not as requested
Poor service
Items missing from breakfast table
Longggggggg service times
Lack if interest in customers

I mailed again as the deputy manager gave a feeble response to my complaint. No response!!

I stayed again the following week
Burns on bed sheets
Dirty shower
Dirty bath
Leaking shower
Poor food (nachos not with melted cheese)
Eternity to get served good at bar

I mailed another two times, no response!
This hotel would be empty if it not for the golf course. The manager takes more time replying to trip advisor comments (just words!) than dealing with the many issues this hotel has.

Premier inn, park inn, Hyatt I've stayed in plenty. This was the worst!

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank AllanandLeeann

Thank you for your comments both positive and less so.
Note each of your comments and apologise if you feel could have been handled more professionally.
Thanks again

Reviewed February 16, 2013

We stayed having obtained what we considered a good B&B deal. We arrived early in the hope that we could check in early and get our stay off to an early start. We were advised that this was not possible and that was not a problem as we did appear early speculatively. We were advised to return at 2.00pm which was the published check in time and when we did the room still was not ready. It was suggested that we sit in the lounge and check back at 2.30pm. We had a drink but found the sole barman quite disinterested. We went back to reception at 2.30 to be told that the room was still not ready. The receptionist did however radio housekeeping and was told the room was ready - was it actually ready at 2.00?

The room was adequate but in need of decoration. It was well equipped and the bed was comfy. There was a lot of noise from other rooms that detracted from the sleep quality.

Breakfast was not a buffet and plated to individual requirements. We felt it was a bit lacking in quality, heat and quantity. The service from the staff was however excellent.

We did visit the pool, sauna and steam room and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Overall we felt that a hotel in this location would have benefitted from expenditure on the outside and on the rooms however it appears that like others they are feeling the pinch at present. Hopefully through time the hotel will be able to offer a higher class customer experience. We would however revisit but only if the price was right!

Reviewed February 13, 2013

I reqularly work in this area and usually stay in Premiere Inn. Thought I'd got a bonus when this hotel popped up on Laterooms for £54 !.......Would have been better off in the Premiere Inn.

Good sized room, clean and with (small) samsung telly. Bathroom outdated and needed replacing.

Hugely disappointed with customer service and quality of restaurant.

I went for dinner at 8pm in the Restaurant to be quizzed 'Are you DBB or BB ?' as I looked in to the near empty dining room I wondered 'what difference does that make'. 'We are only accepting DBB - we're busy you know'

Given that I did not want to order from the Bar Menu and that I was staying in a Four Star, Rosetted Restaurant establishment, I was looking forward to a nice meal.

After a 'stand-off' with the Duty Manager I was shown to a table. Then presented with a set-menu (NO a la carte option available) i made my selection.

Although very well prepared, both Starter and Main Course were very poorly presented and portion size was small. Both were presented on large serving places with the food occupying 1 corner of the square plate - the rest empty.

I stay in hotels 2 or 3 nights a week due to the nature of my work. This one is very definately NOT to be revisited nor recommended.

Room Tip: Choose a Premiere Inn
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Thanks for posting your review.

Very disappointed, and do apologise that we failed to meet your expectations on this occassion. We work hard at making all our guests welcome and I do hope you will give Carnoustie another try.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

We got a deal to stay here for 2nights from 5pm..the value for money was fantastic! Nice hotel with very friendly, helpful staff. Very welcoming upon arrival.
Rooms are nice and comfortable and are very clean. Would maybe request a room with a view of the golf course next time.
The dinner in the hotel was quite nice although my main course of pork wrapped in bacon did come with the plastic still wrapped around it. However the lady that dealt with it was very helpful and pleasant and offered us a free bottle of wine which was a very nice gesture. Breakfast was also lovely and the service again was fairly quick. There is lovely views of the golf course from the dining area.
The spa within the hotel was ok. The pool was a bit on the chilly side and the air temp around the pool was freezing!! Even the changing rooms were pretty cold-don't think I've ever got changed so quickly! I would say this was the only disappointing aspect of our stay as due to the cold the leisure experience wasn't very enjoyable.
All in all the deal we received was excellent value for money for this type of hotel and is definitely worth a visit for a short break.

1  Thank Suzi R
gordon m, Manager at Carnoustie Golf Course Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2013

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us overall, however I must apologise for the issues you had with the leisure facilities and I hope this did not detract from your stay too much.

Your kind comments will be passed on to the staff who are always delighted to receieve feedback.

I hope we can welcome back to Carnoustie soon.

Best wishes

Reviewed February 12, 2013

I have to recommend the Carnoustie Golf Hotel. I had an amazing stay there lucky enough to get an upgrade to the Henry Cotton Suiyte overlooking the 18th green, what a fantastic view & suite. The whole experience was first class, from walkig around the Championship Course, using the Leisure facilities to eating in Calders Bar. I felt like a professional golfer even though it was for only one night!

Room Tip: I booked this hotel through Hotel Connections where I had a signature card that gets you a free upgr...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

I am delighted to read your recent review of your stay with us. The views from our front facing rooms overlooking the famous Championship Course are without a doubt fantastic and Im glad you could enjoy this during your stay.

Thank you for your review and I hope to be able to welcome you back to the Carnoustie Golf Hotel soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Carnoustie
Corner Hotel
Glenesk Hotel
Glenesk Hotel
#1 of 1 in Edzell
Holiday Inn Express Dundee

Been to Carnoustie Golf Course Hotel? Share your experiences!