“First Class hotel”

Carnoustie Golf Course Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Carnoustie
Reviewed March 18, 2008

We have just returned from an overnight stay at this hotel where we were celebrating my mums 80th and my brothers 50th birthdays . There were 16 staying and from the moment we set foot in the hotel we were treated like royalty.
Forget all about any previous negative comments about this hotel , it has recently had a makeover and the rooms were of a high standard. The restaurant was also of a high standard with good food and service.
We will most certainly be making a return visit to this hotel as we thoroughly enjoyed our stay

Stayed: March 2008
1  Thank HolidayHunters16
Write a ReviewReviews (1,279)

Reviewed March 17, 2008

Myself, partner and friends stayed at this hotel in March. We booked through a site offering spa breaks. The hotel is lovely and looks like it has been recently refurbished, in the main areas of the hotel. We had a lovely room overlooking the 18th green and the 1st tee, the room was fresh and clean. The bathroom however became very misty due to lack of ventilation and the room was quite hot during the night, opening a window soon resolved this. The food in the hotel is excellent with all day food being served in the bar, which is great if you are staying B & B only. The only problem we encountered during our stay was the lack of beauty consultants and one of our treatments being canceled. This was dealt with quickly and an apology offered with alternative booking. We will definitely visit this hotel again as it is great for a relaxing break.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank johno430
Reviewed March 16, 2008

I have just returned from a weekend break at The Carnoustie Golf Hotel & Spa operated by Oxford Hotels & Inns. We had our two daughters and my parents with us and had booked three rooms for a 2 night B&B break. On arrival we were warmly welcomed and delighted to be advised that we had been upgraded to a suite on the 3rd floor. The room was excepcional with two king size bedrooms both with own bathrooms with hydro sauna bath. There was a very comfortable living room, dinning area and kitchinette area. The room was well furnished and had the benefit of a large plasma TV in each room. The best bit, however, was the patio door style windows which opened to a fantastic view of Carnoustie Championship Links course and the sea. You could see Dundee in the distance and at night could see the lights of St Andrews. Breakfast was hot / cold buffet, everything you could want from a hearty full scottish b/fast. We ate in the hotel resturant both nights and enjoyed both the £20 set 3 course and al la carte menu which was also reasonably priced. The food was of a high quality and the staff were all very nice, although no kids menu our two ate off the bar food menu. Good wine list also reasonably priced with numerous bins under £20. The best thing about this hotel was the staff. In our two day stay we never came across anyone who wasn't pleasant, cheery and efficient. In all a very enjoyable break with lots of special touches.

1  Thank PaisleyBuddies
Reviewed February 22, 2008

First impressions are indeed everything . Our first impression was of a very unfriendly Receptionist checking us in. No word of welcome, no chit chat at all....only..." You need to book for dinner NOW if you want to eat in the restuarant"We hadn't been there thirty seconds when we were issued with that firm command!

Checking out the next day, the same Receptionist ( a female probably around the 50 mark) never said "good morning" Or "have you enjoyed your stay?" The first words she uttered was " That will be £98" Indeed, these was the only words she spoke to us as we checked out. Never in my life have I experienced such ignorance.

The restuarant meal was also very disappointing. We had the smoked salmon with prawn starter (£6.50) to share between us. It arrived with one tiny sliver of smoked salmon...and no prawns all all! They did have the grace to apologise for that but what kind of restuarant sends such a badly prepared dish out of it's Kitchen?

Our main course for both of us was the fillet of beef. One was requested with potatoes and one with chips. The one with the potatoe had ONE smallish potato sliced up. Each plate had one small piece of brocolli and four small slices of parsnip and some tinned or frozen mushrooms. That was it. For almost £18 per head a very disappointing meal. And...the small glass of house wine at £4.50 was indeed a small glass!

As for Breakfast...all that has to be said is that on our way to Carnoustie we had breakfast at Morrison's Supermarket in Dundee. It was a better cooked and presented meal and far more of it for £3.65

Never again will we darken it's door. A disgrace to a town famous for it's golf but at this rate not for it's Golf Hotel!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 6, 2008

My fiance & I booked this hotel for Valentines weekend, expecting to have a nice relaxing weekend break, nothing could have been further from the truth.

On arrival the hotel staff were very unfriendly and didn't make us feel welcome at all. Our hotel room was old and dated,we went to the hotel restaurant on the Saturday morning to book our dinner for that night only to be told we would have to call back after 3pm as they couldn't take a booking in the morning. We went out for the day & on our return tried again to book dinner only to be told the restaurant was fully booked, so if that wasn't bad enough we returned to our room to find it hadn't been serviced that day, so we called reception who came up with a bundle of towels and extra coffee!!

On the sunday we had lunch in the bar and then went for a swim, when we came back to the bar after our swim our dirty plates from before were still sitting on the table, as were most of the dishes it was very difficult to find a clean table to sit at.

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in and would advise everyone to stay well clear.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KarenDunfermline
Reviewed January 7, 2008

Room not immaculate but ok. Dinner fine. Breakfast average. Spa ok. Massage very good.

Stayed: December 2007
2  Thank Stevas
Reviewed December 19, 2007

I have stayed at the Carnoustie Golf Hotel before and was shocked at the rapid decline in both service and room standards.

As I have family in Carnoustie and have been going there for 35 years of my life I decided to book into the Carnoustie Golf Hotel so be close to the sea, beach and a familiar part of the town.

I booked via the hotel's phone line as all the online booking facility would offer was a two night stay. Why do hotels do that on weekends.... I only needed one night so called and managed to book a room for £60 B&B for two persons. Great value.

On arrival the receptionist couldn't find my booking. Luckily I had my reservation paper work and she booked us in fairly quickly.

On exiting the lift there was an odd odour, something I've noticed before but I can't work out quite what it is. Certainly it's not a fresh small. Slightly stale smell I guess.

On entering the room, I had the strong smell of air freshener/cleaner but this disappeared fairly quickly. The room was well furnished, large and with a juliet style balcony.

The bathroom was a let down. I stayed here just after Oxford Inns took over. So was accepting of the fact the wood was stained and the bathroom somewhat downbeat.

It hasn't been updated at all and should be for a hotel purporting itself as a 4* establishment.

We had a bar meal. Well cooked but what a limited menu. Less than ten items and nothing for vegetarians. I would say it was at least ten years out of date compared with other hotels.

Breakfast was okay apart from a shambolic attempt at a buffet style breakfast. The amount of serving staff they had, they would have been better to provide table service. Certainly it would have been more relaxed. Quality of breakfast was okay. Not 4*. I stay in hotels a lot on business and recently stayed at The Piersland in Troon. £80 per night and an amazing breakfast. Oxford Inns and Hotels should look at their offering. In fact the breakfasts being served by Premier Inns are 100 times better.

Check out was a joke. Not only did they have limited staff but again on check out I was asked to pay. I had already informed on check in that the room was pre-paid.

This hotel could be really good. It needs some time and investment. And some serious management.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank The_Barefoot_DJ
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carnoustie
Corner Hotel
Glenesk Hotel
#1 of 1 in Edzell
Holiday Inn Express Dundee
Best Western Dundee Woodlands Hotel

Been to Carnoustie Golf Course Hotel? Share your experiences!