“Excellent Pub food”

and 1 more site!
Kinloch Arms Hotel
Ranked #7 of 8 Carnoustie B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 22, 2011

Stayed at the Carnoustie Golf hotel however we ate here and it was great-fab priced menu-portions are huge, try the high tea menu. Lovely friendly staff as well.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 24, 2011

Having friends coming to stay we booked a table in the restaurant 3 days in advance. When the booking was taken I was assured that this was ok. I left a contact telephone number. We arrived at the restaurant on the given day only to be told there was a finction on and we would have to eat in the bar. We expressed our dissatisfaction but the staff were totally disinterested and no apology was given. We decided to give the bar a try but it was very cramped, dark and noisy with a television on and people playing snooker. After being shown to a table, given menus we were left waiting. We gave it 10 minutes but as no staff had come back to us about drinks or food we left. If the Kinloch Hotel can afford to throw away custom in this manner perhaps they should think about investing in some staff training and having their bar redecorated.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank clartodm
Reviewed April 3, 2011

I tried to book a room by e-mail and phone on a number of occasions without any success at all which was disapointment. Nevertheless we went to eat and the beef was as good as I remembered from last time so all was forgiven.............ish

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 20, 2011

My husband and I were visiting relatives near Carnoustie and were delayed from going directly home because of the wintry weather. We stopped for one night in the Kinloch Arms and found the welcome there particularly warm. They seemed to be well geared up for the weary traveller - warm, clean, comfortable yet basic, big bedrooms. We ate in the hotel's dining room where a lovely cosy fire met us and created a wonderful ambience to enjoy while looking out to the frozen conditions.

Our meal I would describe as pub grub at its best. While there was some apparently quite fancy food on the menu, I opted for the traditional beer battered fish and chips. The fish was very tasty and I was pleased to see we were served proper, big home-made chips which were lovely. My husband went for the roast beef which was a good cut, beautifully cooked and very tender. The pleasant surprise after our meal was the gorgeous, home-made cakes which tempted us. It was a great experience and the staff could not do enough to make us feel looked after.

The lounge bar where we had our coffee afterwards was very busy. I don't drink beer but the selection of cask ales managed to tempt my husband who is keen to return to sample some more.

All in all, a very pleasant and unexpected stopover - I now need to work off the calories though!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 25, 2010

Our stay at the Kinloch Arms was unfortunately a sad occasion as we were attending a family funeral. However, Lisa in the bar, was so friendly and welcoming, very attentive to all her customers. We opted for a basic bar meal,which was very acceptable, and Lisa kindly gave us a pot of hot coffee to take to our room. Our breakfast was also enjoyable.

Our room was spotless, bathroom very clean, my only criticism - a pet hate of mine - is carpet in the bathroom, unless it is steam cleaned after every guest, I dread to think what I may be treading on! But again, thats a personal opinion. So, other than that, would book again.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed November 7, 2010

I have just encountered one of the worst experiences of my life and it was at the Kinloch Hotel. I have never come across staff that are so disinterested in there customers, to never come over to them to ask how there meal was or to even offer more drinks. The length of time to wait on 2 courses was over 2 hours which made us late for our planned evening. I could understand a wait but the restaurant only had another table to cater for so this was not acceptable. When the waiter cleared away plates there was no conversation at all making us feel a little uncomfortable. We brought our concerns to the waiter to be argued with! The meal claimed to be "a la carte" was a poor show - cold plates, basic food and chips that looked like they had been re-heated, and a balmoral sauce tasting of fish. Our cutlery was handed to us and our bottle of cava was plonked on the table leaving us to open it. There was no salt and pepper on the table and all these little things must be the basics in a restaurant. Perhaps the waiting staff were in-experienced but the waiter did claim to have worked in other hotels so should have known better and we would have hoped for a better standard of hospitality.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
4  Thank dundeesummer
Reviewed November 6, 2010

If you want to be flung menus, eat watery whiskey sauces that taste of fish and 'luke warm' dishes this is the place to come. I have travelled all around the world and this was the worse meal experience I have ever had. With only 2 tables occupied in the restaraunt we waited a rediculous time for our food. The bottle of sparkling cava we were gifted as a surprise by the friends was just 'dumped' on the table we were ignored all night, then when we finally got to voiced our concerns about the food the male waiter started to argue with us, so rude. Just disgraceful. When I refused to pay for the 2 of the most awful meals the waiter mouthed off again and returned and slammed the reciept on the table only taking 10pound off. Might be a good enough place to stay but we are still so , so upset and let down by this hotels eating experience, especially when we were celebrating our engagement. We will be writing to the management.

• Stayed: November 2010