“Waterside Retirement Home”

Britannia Waterside Hotel
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Peterhead
Reviewed March 24, 2014

I should have known from my initial contact with the hotel this was going to be an interesting visit! I called the Waterside at 2.15pm on Sunday and enquirer what dining options were available for the day, I was informed Carvery I asked if children under 2 dine free and was informed yes, i advised I would call back to book a table.. I agreed with my party of 3 adults and 2 children under 2 that this was acceptable and called back a few minutes later.... I was advised the Carvery ended at 2 pm - I then asked if bar meals were available to be advised that high teas then ala cart in the evening. I booked a table for my party for 5pm and requested 2 high chairs for the youngsters in the group.
We arrived at 4.45 and I approached reception and advised I had a booking for 5 at 5pm for high tea. I got a look from the receptionist as if I had addressed her in Swahili so I advised her I had a table for 3 adults and 2 children booked for 5pm... She advised our table was not ready and please take a seat... After ten minutes of chatter and watching the children play in an area reminiscent of a retirement home we realised that no one had come to take a drink order - lucky I had a couple of fruit shoots in my bag for the children.... At ten past 5 i enquirer if our table was ready and was advised there was an issue with high chairs and it wouldn't be long...
We were seated at 5.25. The high chairs provided left a lot to be desired - I could tell the staff member dealing with my party was cringing... Literally.
We ordered drinks and selected from the menu. Drinks were fine, food arrived timeously. Children's selections were chicken fillets and fish fingers with smiley faces. That is exactly what arrived. The fish fingers were cooked ok. The chicken however had been placed in a high heat resulting in black singing to the breadcrumbs... There was no veg served with the kids meals!!!
My plate arrived, house stew, I had ordered this with chips, it arrived with potatoes and an extra portion of chips... I tasted ok and the meat was just about acceptable but for a stew fell well below par... Such a fool proof dish especially commercially - ffs !!!!
Fish goujons my daughter in laws choice was bland dry & tasteless while my friend advised her food was nice but sure she was just being polite... I divided my veg between the 2 children because they are accustomed to a variety of food on a plate and would have questioned what was on thier plates... We were served toast, scones, pancakes, tea and coffee with a selection of home bakes in a peti four size which was quite nice and I think everyone enjoyed this part of the meal.
The owners of this chain, the Britannia Group need to sharpen up. I don't appreciate taking my family and friends as well as youngsters to a place that is held together by partially spoken English, slap dash customer service dog eaten carpets held together with duck tape and upholstery that lost its pile more than a decade ago and pay £5 for a child's meal consisting of smiley faces and an over cooked add on and totally dry - Where did you employ your chief... Pound world? I know you guys recently went down a star to 3 but from my experience on Sunday I wouldn't award you 1. And if this is front of house I would hate to see the bedrooms, let alone the behind scenes open only to staff. How long until Waterside inn becomes a shelter to the homeless of Peterhead and Fraserburgh same as bay view hotel, Caledonian hotel and the royal hotel in Peterhead and a bigger number in Fraserburgh

Room Tip: Just don't go there and save yourself the disappointment
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Shenaz46

Reviewed March 17, 2014 via mobile

The hotel is generally tired and worn out. A refit is well overdue. The carpets are thread bear and the fixtures and fittings old. The restaurant is average to say the least. I would not rush to stay here again.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank darrenjinks
Reviewed March 8, 2014

Recently visited this hotel. Rather tired looking although some work seems to be ongoing .The executive room allocated was recently painted but needed a good dust. Found a sock from a previous visitor on the floor! Radiator was constantly on full due to spare part not having arrived. Got a change of room which was appreciated and rest of stay went not too badly.. Breakfast was mediocre and was cold by the time you started to eat. All in all a very overpriced room with breakfast.

Room Tip: Executive rooms although larger appear to be pricey.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank HughM523
Reviewed February 24, 2014

When entering the room there was a definite damp/musty smell and it was freezing cold (the radiator was turned off and about 3degrees outside). Turned on the radiator and when I had warmed up a bit I took off my shoes and thought the carpet is very cold or wet. Turned out to be wet. Went to reception and was offered another room and given the key. Went in to the new room to find this room was already occupied and someone on the bed watching TV (thank goodness they were only watching TV!!). Went back to reception and was offered another room - OK this time although the room was very old with worn carpet.
On my second visit I requested a ground floor room (difficulty with stairs and carrying luggage) but was put on the first floor! However this room was better condition than previously although the window faced a wall and an internal corridor used by other guests and staff - consequently had to keep the curtains closed and the lighting was quite dim.
Disappointing that Wi-Fi was not available in the rooms and had to sit in the lounge area to connect to internet.
Breakfast was mediocre quality but the breakfast tables set beautifully and the breakfast staff very attentive.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed February 23, 2014

My friend and I have just returned home after one night B & B and evening meal, absolute bargain at £ 20 each including bottle of wine in room ( Groupon Voucher ) Don't know what others are complaining about hotel very clean, food good and generous portions, staff second to none ( especially Karen on reception ) nothing was too much trouble , okay maybe hotel needs a little tlc here and there but stayed in much much worse ! We will be back, don't let others opinion stop you visiting.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank selina m
Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

I often go to the waterside to attend their exercise classes, pool, to get treatments or to attend events. All of the above are brilliant and well worth the money. The staff are all lovely and helpful.

My main issues are the enterence to the waterside and the main areas in the hotel. The entrance is covered by pot holes that if u dont miss them could probably do damage to ur car!!
The main areas are all carpeted however the carpets are patched up by duck tape. This is everywhere. The place needs new carpets in all the main areas.

This used to be a lovely hotel, set in an idyllic location however minor issues noted above are ruining the hotel. Its needing TLC.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed January 19, 2014

We stayed for 2 nights, dinner, B+B and were pleasantly surprised given the terrible reviews this hotel has received. We must have been allocated one of the newly refurbished rooms as there was nothing to moan about with regards to the bed, showers, views etc. Staff were friendly and accommodating, food was good, bed was comfy. Yes, the TV only had 5 channels, but that just meant we spent more time in the pool and sauna! (Both very nice.) We got a cheap deal on our stay, so not sure how much it would have cost us full price, but we got superb value for our money and left feeling a bit confused about all the harsh criticism from previous guests.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lm0rt
Also consider these accommodations in or near Peterhead
Travelodge Peterhead
Buchan Braes Hotel
Buchan Braes Hotel
#1 of 7 in Peterhead
Saplinbrae Hotel & Lodges

Been to Britannia Waterside Hotel? Share your experiences!