“Have a sense of humour or do not go!”
Review of The County Hotel

The County Hotel
The County Hotel
Ranked #9 of 13 Banff B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Management and i stayed here for four nights of our holiday and we absolutely loved it. it is run by a very charming Frenchman and his equally charming Scottish wife with help from their physicist son and musician daughter. Eric the owner does all the cooking and does so because he is a serious enthusiast. The place is in need of some practical renovation so some doors won't shut unless they are locked etc but this is a very impressive Regency building with absolutely stunning views from all the main rooms. What it isn't is the Hilton so disabuse yourself of the notion that everything will happen in an immaculately ordered way. What does happen does so with such overwhelming charm and enthusiasm that you find yourself sitting with an ear-to-ear grin most of the time. Eric is a seriously keen cook and like a lot of those tends to harbour a belief that there is always room for one more ingredient! notwithstanding that the food we had was universally very good and i had a rack of lamb one night that was to die for. So we really recommend this but only if you are prepared to go with the flow. if you are on a tight timetable go somewhere else, although you will not find anywhere close where the food even starts to get close.

Room Tip: The best room is definitely Salmon, but when you check in, make sure that they have fixed the shower...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank John L

Reviewed August 22, 2012

We stayed for 3 nights in the family room having booked 'blind' on the internet. The welcome was warm, the family owners and staff were excellent and the food was wonderful! It's a great base to explore this area of Scotland - beaches, castles and the whiskey trail all within easy driving distance. Sure the decor is a little tired in parts, but it's very French (not surprising as one of the owners is) and is extremely clean and comfortable. Can't recommend this little gem too highly - we hope to stay again

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel have the best views of the sea
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank clydemum
Reviewed August 4, 2012

Came across the hotel as we strolled past one evening after a bad experience at another place. Staff were lovely and wanted to make sure we had a good end to the evening. Real nice feel to the place as it is run by a family. Chef came round everyone and was very attentive. Food was lovely, best use of local produce. Love the look of the place and very private as we were sat at a table window. Haven't been back yet but very much intend to soon.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KDunn1076907
Reviewed November 26, 2011

Hi Stayed in this hotel earlier this week for a night, booked online.

On business in the area all I needed was some place to put my head for the night and some supper.

The bedroom room was fairly tired in its decor. The furniture was OK and the bed comfortable. The bathroom was again fairly basic and tired, it was clean though.

The food though was fantastic, very fresh and cooked to perfection.

I had a cheese omelette for breakfast in the morning and I have to say that it was probably the best omelette I have ever or will ever have, delicious!

The owner was a real gentleman and was chatty but did not over do it.

OK but the room/hotel really does need updated.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank neil_mckagencies
Reviewed November 19, 2011

I recently stayed with my Dad in Banff. We enjoyed the breakfast (omelette was amazing) and dinner in the evening. Everyone was completely delightful and food as other reviewers note was excellent.

Room Tip: The rooms at the front of the building - are really noisy and the bed in the twin room was so soft w...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 9, 2011

I recently stayed in the County Hotel whilst on business in the area. The hotel is a masterpiece example of how people in the hospitality business can run a lovely and friendly establishment. I was met on arrival by the Owner (Eric) who was very friendly. Check in was quick and breakfast times etc was explained as was dinner. Eric showed me to my room. I had booked a single room. I generally worry when booking a single room as past experience has shown that you end up in the worst room in the building - this was not the case with the County Hotel. My single room was spacious, had its own bathroom and a view over looking the front of the hotel. The room was clean and heated well, constant hot water and excellent toiletries. Good Television(digital) and also a desk to allow me to carry out my preparation for my meeting.

I decided to go and have a look around Banff and ended up after having a few beers and ended up back at the hotel after dinner service. Eric said this was not a problem and allowed me to order form the menu. I had steak pie and a glass of red wine. The steak pie was so good that I called my wife to tell her half way through my meal (she is a foodie)

Overall you will not be disappointed at the County. Eric is very pleasant and the hotel is well kept and clean. I did not eat breakfast as I had to leave early but the smell was tempting!

I will be back!!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 13, 2011

We've been lucky to have had quite a few meals, both in the Bistro and the main restaurant, and every meal has been brilliant. I can't praise Eric (Owner and Head Chef) and his family enough, both for the quality of food and service in this lovely family run hotel. If ever you are in this area you should make it a must do, to have lunch or dinner there. Every bowl of soup we've had is also fantastic, there's allways a choice of two, three or four different types and you will not be disappointed. There's also a very good wine selection to choose from. We'll be back again soon.

Room Tip: We haven't stayed at the hotel, so we can't comment on the rooms, but i'm sure they will...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple