“Shocking - Avoid At All Costs!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #178 of 658 Restaurants in Aberdeen
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Dining on a budget
aberdeen
“Shocking - Avoid At All Costs!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

I took a client to Carmine's for lunch as it was in a handy location for us both. Never again! One of the strangest and thoroughly unpleasant experiences of my life.

Where do I start? We ordered diet coke to drink, only to have a 2 litre bottle slammed down on our table. The waitress didn't even offer to pour our drinks, just left the empty glasses on our table. She then came quickly back to take our order. I hadn't decided yet, so she stood glaring at me whilst muttering under her breath until I decided.

The food itself was ok ( pizza ), although very greasy. Have had far better pizza in Aberdeen many times before.

When we finished our pizza the waitress came over and took our plates away. Our 2 litre bottle of coke was still a quarter full, but the waitress just picked it up off the table and proceeded to put it in the fridge, presumably to be used later for other diners, even though we had paid for the whole bottle.

She then said to me "That's £37". I have never been anywhere that doesn't present you with a bill showing what you are paying for, so was a bit bemused. I asked for a bill, as I wanted to check the amount was correct, and also as I needed a receipt for expenses, and that was when the waitress erupted! She asked why I wanted a bill, and started getting very angry. Next thing the owner came out from the kitchen and started shouting about the quality of the food we had. I kept trying to explain that I needed a receipt for expenses, but they were both extremely irate by this point. I then handed the waitress my credit card, only to be told "cash or cheque only". My colleague had to go to the nearest bank and get money to pay for the meal. When we did pay, we were presented with a tiny cash register type receipt, that didn't have anything on it apart from the total. No name, breakdown of the cost, VAT number, or anything else that you find on a normal restaurant receipt.

We hadn't finished our drinks, and were still chatting, but then the waitress came over and took our glasses off the table, and stood staring at us. Obviously it was time to go.

The waitress has to be the rudest person I have ever had the misfortune to meet. I have no idea why she was so hostile, but it was a genuinely horrible experience and not what you expect when you go to a restaurant for lunch.

I will never go back there, and just hope that I can warn as many people as I can about what to expect if they ever go there. I just feel sorry for anyone that goes there not knowing what lies in store for them.

Shocking - Avoid at all costs!!!

• Visited September 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
12 Thank AberdeenJrabbit

Elgin, United Kingdom
“Rustic food, like home cooking”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

I would generally have walked by Carmine's without giving it a second thought.

However a guy I used to work with highly recommended it, so thought we could give it a go.

What a wonderful surprise it turned out to be. Now one of the regular places we go to when
in Aberdeen. Not a large establishment, sometimes you have to come back for a table.

The food is not picture perfect, as per a chain or a more polished place.

However it has that fantastic home cooked rustic flavour and feel. I have had a mixture of dishes here and all have been very good. My wife favours the Calzonie pizza (spelling ??), they are packed with filling, she has not finished one yet. It has become the owners standing joke, about maybe she will finish this one.

I would have no fears recommending this restaurant to anyone. They will all enjoy it.

• Visited August 2013
Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Absolute gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

Delicious Italian cuisine in a gorgeous intimate and relaxed enviroment - fell in love with the place. Great food, great atmosphere - couldn't recommend it more!

• Visited March 2013
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“I can cook better very easily.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

Went with my girlfriend for the lunch menu. The food was tasteless,unseasoned and very greasy. I want to support the authenticity of it being independent and having a grand Italian man at the helm, but with poor quality food, and stealth pricing of the garlic bread and 2.50 San Pellegrino lemonades. The couple beside us were treated contemptuously for the bill they were charged. As a bastion of Aberdeen, I would advise visitors to stay clear, and go to places such as Goulash, or Cafe 52.

Visited April 2013
5 Thank monomoto
Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Quirky but great”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

I've been here a few times before and it has to be noted you don't go here for the service. The legendary Mr. Carmine will not take lightly to anyone he would consider to be a trouble maker and he'll stand on union terrace surveying the area candidly awaiting diners.
I went in to meet my lunch companion at 12 at which time there weren't any other customers but I knew from previous experience it filled quickly. By half 12 there were 4 tables in use which made the place feel busy but not over crowded.
We both had the lasagne for a main with bread on the table as a starter. The lasagne itself was fantastic. Lovely big bubbling portion of good homemade lasagne using great fresh ingredients. The garlic bread was unlike any I'd come across- a sort of flat bread which was quite tasty but not what I was expecting.
Then came the pudding. The strangest part of the luncheon. It arrived on a little side plate and looked like absolute mush although we were assured it was tiramisu. The actual taste was lovely but it did look horrific. And be warned the sponge comes drenched in sambuca!
The waitress was maybe not the most attentive but she got dishes out fast and did have a bit of a banter with us- something which might not be to everyone's taste being maybe borderline cheeky but all in good fun.
The place has so much character and for us the bill came to £19. This included two lasagnes, two glasses of wine, two puddings and two coffees so you can't get better than that!

• Visited June 2013