“Superb”

Cuisines: Mediterranean, Turkish
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
“Superb”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

well top mark goes to this restaurant was recommended by my daughter as she knows how fussy i am. Went there for a pre theatre dinner . what a delight to find the staff there so helpful , smiling & very efficient what a change to find this service went for the meze & it certainly disappoint we then had the steak that just melted in you mouth .

• Visited November 2012

• Greek first
Scottish Highlands, United Kingdom
“Reasonable Food Served With Indecent Haste”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

We booked for an evening meal for two. When I phoned to make the reservation, I was given a choice of 6pm or 9pm so I took the earlier slot. I was slightly perturbed to be told no less than three times during the course of the phone call that they "needed the table back by 8" .... Being told this information once would have sufficed especially given that two hours is normally quite sufficient for a dinner slot for 2 people so there should not have been a problem anyway.

Never mind, to ensure they had their table "back by 8!", we turned up sharp, just before 6pm. We'd never eaten here before but, having read the rave reviews, we were looking forward to it very much.

Sadly, our starters were unremarkable. Mine was supposed to be hot but was stone cold on the bottom and lukewarm on top ( our guess was it had been prepared earlier, refrigerated and then stuck under the grill but hadn't been warmed through properly). My partner's falafel was dry and uninspiring. The main courses were considerably better and the portions were plentiful and nicely presented. However, it was placed in front of us immediately after we finished our starters ... We hardly drew breath between courses.

We'd only been in the place 40 minutes when we were handed the dessert menus. At ths point, I decided the time had come to ask for a short break .... the waitress looked bewildered and a little concerned..... Back she came ten minutes later looking for our dessert order which we gave her, asking for maybe another 10 minutes before it was served. I think at this point the penny dropped Ten minutes was duly given and the desserts, when they arrived, we're probably the highlight of the evening.... Really lovely. We had also ordered coffee to follow though this arrived ahead of the desserts. Not a big deal but this restaurant clearly had some timing issues on the night we attended.

We were done and dusted and out of of the place by 7.30pm . However, had I not slowed things down, we'd have been out the door within the first hour, and probably suffering from raging indigestion, due to the indecent haste with which our food courses were coming out of the kitchen at. There was no need for this given the ample 2 hour slot we had the table for. It's certainly not conducive to having a romantic meal for two and was totally unnecessary.

This is clearly a popular local eaterie and my impression is that it's well attended by people living in the immediate area which is largely residential. I would like to give it a 3.5 out of 5 but I can't do so on here .... Sadly 4 out of 5 would be too high based on our experience.

Would we return? To be honest, I'm unsure. Perhaps for lunch. The staff were pleasant enough, the place was clean, the food was a mixed bag ranging from lovely to underdone but it was their overly anxious approach to turning tables over which really spoilt our meal and our evening.

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank Fyrishsunset
Gourdon, Scotland
“Most enjoyable lunch in Aberdeen for a long time”
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Invited by parents for lunch as they had vouchers and from start to finish the whole experience was really enjoyable. Lovely table, efficient, polite service, delicious food in mixed meze style (best calamari I have tasted) and plenty of it. The bottle of Gavi de Gavi extended to two, we enjoyed it so much, and the desserts were not only beautifully presented but tasted devine.
It is heartening to find a restaurant in Aberdeen which seasons food appropriately. This was a memorable lunch and we will definitely return.

• Visited February 2013
Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Valentineish”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

A last minute dash a day early for Valentines when the parents were in town to look after the little one. We were warmly received by the staff and the restaurant has a nice atmosphere, a good buzz without being overly noisy. The menu is interesting however I hate laminated menus as they give the impression that dishes don't change that often. We had Meze to start, which were great, then duck for the wife and monkfish for me. Again very flavorsome although slightly unusual style, can't say fish and olives are a perfect match but finished it all off so it must have been ok. Slight negative was that the server did not seem to have tried all the dishes on the menu so couldn't really recommend something for me. Overall nice for a night-out, good food, nice wines by the glass and a nice atmosphere.

Visited February 2013
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“lovely food”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Having had my fair share of very poor middle eastern food over the years , Nargile makes an impressive change. I am not super fond of the decor or ambiance, it is cold, not very cozy and totally unromantic (no intimate spots). The food and the service however make up for it. The portions are extremely generous and the Mezze options, really excellent. To me, to be nibbling on ten or more dishes, some hot , some cold is a much better experience than a great big pile of the same food on one plate. The vegetarian options are very very good to. It is not the cheapest restaurant but is reasonable. I have eaten three times in the past year there and will do so again at the earliest occasion.

• Visited January 2013