“Fantastic Southern Soul Food”
Review of Maggie's Grill

Maggie's Grill
Ranked #5 of 707 Restaurants in Aberdeen
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 21, 2014

Aberdeen has needed a restaurant like this for years! None of the bland stuff. If you want it hot, then you get it hot! The food is made fresh on site and old fashioned recipes are used to create wonderful flavour filled meals and decadent down home deserts! They've only been open a few weeks, but pre booking is recommended as people were arriving without bookings and not getting a seat because they were full!

Reviewed August 21, 2014

We've been twice now and it has been excellent both times. It has tremendous atmosphere, excellent, authentic food and very friendly service. Be warned though it is very busy and booking is recommended. Personally, I can't get past the gumbo and chili - wonderfully spicy and flavourful. The care given to sourcing the best local ingredients has paid off in the taste. It is a fairly limited menu with some New Orleans favourites missing but for such small premises they have done a great job. Congratulations to the chef is in order. The only real irritation is the non-appearance (so far) of their website. I'll definitely be back.

Reviewed August 17, 2014

We have been twice now, we hadn't booked either time but luckily for us they managed to squeeze us in although they were fully booked.
They did say that as from this week they are hanging the booking system and will be leaving seats available for the 'walk in' trade, which I think is a great idea.
The food and service on both occasions were excellent, but not 100% convinced about the vodka from Paisley. Personal taste there.
But a lovely little restaurant, with excellent service and really tasty food.
I thoroughly recommend it and will be back, and not just because I live round the corner!

Reviewed August 16, 2014

Many things make a good restaurant great. One of them is whether the restaurant has a 'Great Feel' and this one has that in spades. I have been twice now and its that 'Feeling' that is the reason I gave this one of my rare 5 'ratings'. Its a new restaurant and the owners are bursting with pride in their new venture, immersed in it and passionate about giving you the best dining experience that they can. It's infectious and left me feeling very happy after headed off into the night.

We had a great meal there on Thursday from Wings and Gumbo to start, the Louisiana hot sauce is great. The mains were Southern Fried Chicken, Pulled Pork and the 6oz (i think) steak. This is not intended to be fine dining, but was very good food. You can see a lot of thought has gone into the presentation of the food, which adds to the experience as we chatted about whether we liked the two separate wooden plates, metal trays as plates and buckets of various sizes for the side dishes. Our 'food on a plate' culture may have a little issue adjusting to this but you can tell it takes extra effort and I for one appreciate that. So go with it and like me get a sense of satisfaction as you figure a good way to get you parsnip fries from their bucket to the sauce and add a bit of meat without hitting the table. Or just empty the buckets into your tray and keep it simple. Either way its different and that's good in itself. We finished with a platter of desserts from ice cream, pecan pie and brownies, yum yum from all of us. Musn't forget the wine and the Prosecco and Malbec were spot on.

We were well looked after and will we be back? As long as it delivers the good time we had on Thursday, YES!

1  Thank Tunnywig
Reviewed August 15, 2014

Went to Maggie's Grill for the first time and hade a pleasant surprise first of all I got a table for one something that's hard to get in Aberdeen the second surprise was the marvellous food I started with the Gumbo then their signature burger washed down with a chock ablate beer.

1  Thank the Aberdeen Plumber