“a little gem” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #39 of 63 Hotels in Aberdeen
London, United Kingdom
“a little gem”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2014

excellent hotel just off the main road, wouldn't no that you were in a big city. Booked in at the weekend and got very cheap rates. Free parking out the back. Staff friendly and breakfast good. Would definitely recommend.

Room Tip: room at back
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
      Cleanliness

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Durham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2014

This is a friendly, homely hotel with very reasonable weekend rates. The room whilst being clean and tidy looked due for renovation. A nice friendly bar area and a good breakfast included. The hotel benefits from a very useful luggage storage room. Overall the rating given is average only because the T.A.rating system allows moving from average to very good. Normally I would give a rating of Good. Would use again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2014

Initially this seemed expensive as walk ups on a Thursday night, but a gracious suite was a delightful surprise despite carrying bags up two flights of stairs. Handy location to downtown, free parking, and has a cosy restaurant and bar. On the downside, the wifi didn't work and staff were unwilling or unable to fix it.

Room Tip: Don't visit Monday to Thursday, because the rooms are twice the price.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Shetland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2014 via mobile

Just returned from another excellent stay at the Brentwood. Ideal location, very high standard of cleanliness, service and food make every stay a pleasure. Staff have just the right balance between professionalism and friendliness. 24 hour reception ensures security at all times.

Stayed March 2014
2 Thank Mumsie65
Whalsay, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2014

I recently spent the weekend here. First impressions of my room were that it was ok if not a little cold. I went for a shower shortly after arrival and I can safely say it is the worst shower in the world. There was absolutely no water pressure, and when I went to brush my teeth the water pressure from the taps were extremely poor as well. I will say that I found the bed quite comfortable and had a decent nights sleep. However, it wasn't until the day I checked out that I have my biggest complaint to make. I had been in a bit of a rush packing my case, and it wasn't until a couple of hours later that I remembered I had left some items of clothing in the drawers in my room. I phoned ahead to the hotel to tell them to look for them and said I would walk up to collect them. When I got there I was told that no such items had been found in my room. I was adamant that they had been left but the reception staff did absolutely nothing to help me or reassure me about where the items may have gone. I double checked my suitcase but they were definitely not there, and had been in the drawer when I got dressed in the morning. Unfortunately I was in a rush to catch my flight home and just had to leave things as they were, as I did not have any proof, but I know for certain that the clothes were still in the drawer when I vacated the room. Therefore I will never be staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Whalsaylass
Sumburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014

Great hotel, rooms clean and well appointed. Our room was at the front and so a little noisy at night from the street. Breakfasts cooked to order and good choice. Bar cosy with lots of good ales. Price was very good for over the weekend.

Room Tip: Ask for room at the back of the hotel
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014

Stayed here recently on business.

Pros:
- Free parking.
- OK location.
- Price (expensive, but cheaper than some other local hotels).
- Neutral decoration.

Cons:
- Poor breakfast: cheap sausages, cold pale toast, poor buffet selection.
- Service: on arrival I had to wait for reception staff to finish their conversation before I could check in, even though I was clearly waiting at the desk. Breakfast staff weren't particularly cheery and again, gossiping within earshot.
- Sleep: woken at 6am by staff inconsiderately talking loudly in the halls and at reception. Some rooms are too close to reception and there is a tv that can clearly be heard from the bedrooms.
- Security: Keys needed to be handed in at reception but on return you could just state a room number and obtain the key. There was no ID required so it seemed unsafe.

Room Tip: Do not accept a room next to reception.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business