“Good value for Aberdeen”

Soprano St Magnus Court Hotel
Ranked #57 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed December 9, 2012

This hotel is located near the station which makes it great for those arriving by train. The rooms vary is size and having stayed here several times, I make sure I get one that is not too small. The staff are very helpful and the breakfasts excellent. This place has a bit of character and is used as a meeting place for an international group

Room Tip: If you need to work as I did, make sure you get a room where the chair can fit in front of the desk
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed December 3, 2012

My room on top floor a bit 'tired' (water stains on ceiling, carpets a bit worn, chipped paint and plaster in places) but comfortable enough. Good location in centre - nor that noisy on a wet December night.

Staff on reception and in bistro restaurant very friendly and helpful. Dinner in the bistro excellent (if you are having the mussels for a main course then skip the starter - main course huge) and breakfast just as high quality.

As a reasonably regular business visitor to Aberdeen over the years, this is first place I've stayed where I would certainly return to.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Hotel was like a boutique great decor thoughout!! Our room was a double.. good size plenty of space for storage & the bed was very comfertable. We both had cooked breakfasts - very tasty!! Would love to stay here again!!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kayleigheaton
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Downside - This hotel was very poor value for money, so I would disagree with the other reviewer that it was good value. Whilst I agree it has been recently done up, its done to a fairly poor standard when compared with others in the vicinity. The room was noisy and street traffic and street noise could be heard most of the night. The reason there is no lift is that this building was once a tenement building in Guild Street close to the harbour and has obviously been converted.
Upside - the staff were friendly and the breakfast was reasonably good.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Myself and two friends visited Soprano's for lunch last week, and we felt it was something out of a sitcom or hidden-camera show. When we entered the restaurant we were told the three of us would have to squeeze onto a two-person table, despite the restaurant having several empty tables at the time. We agreed, and were shown to our table, with no menus. We literally waited around 20 minutes to get a drinks order. We then waited approximately 20 minutes again for these drinks to arrive. One drink was thrown over my friend by the waiter as he wrestled with the drinks tray. We then finally made our food order. 15 minutes later, our food arrived. We were rather disappointed to receive a tiny, burned pizza, and two portions of fish and chips, with 12 chips between the two of us. The fish was delicious, as were the chips, but come on, you can afford to give us more than 6 chips, surely!

After waiting ten minutes after asking for ketchup, we gave up and mastered our towers of chips(!) ketchup-less.

Needless to say, a tip was not provided, and I won't be recommending Soprano's to my friends. The restaurant is lovely and has a classy atmosphere, but just seemed so disorganised and disappointing.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 19, 2012

As there doesn't appear to be a separate listing for the Sopranos Seafood Bistro & Bar on TripAdvisor, I'm adding this review to the general hotel listing.

The Sopranos Restaurant is my absolute favourite in Aberdeen at the moment. The restaurant itself has a lovely cosy atmosphere, is decorated with very classy touches and the food is outstanding.

So many people in the city don't know that Sopranos even exists and I like it so much I'm hesitant to share! The wine and food both offer excellent value for money and taste amazing. Each time I've visited I've had very fresh and tasty seafood - the mussels with cider and chilli cream sauce are my favourite, so so yummy!

A payday must :-)

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Pleasant hotel and good value. The building is quite old hence no lift and a fiar walk upstairs if your on a higher level. Rooms have been recently done up and in a good standard with lovely classis bathrooms. The restaurant/bar downstairs coneected to the hotel is excellent. Location is perfect for weekend shopping trip.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family