“Interesting......... i would stay again!”

Best Western Summerhill Hotel And Suites
Ranked #36 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed October 28, 2009

Ok so the hotel does not really look like a hotel more like an old night club or something.... the area is rather dubious.... you do wounder if the wheels on your car are still going to be there in the morning, however, saying that there were never any issues. The hotel is newly re-furbished and is nice inside..... it is much bigger than you first think. There are fridges inside the standard rooms which are replenished each day with a bottle of water, a carton of orange juice and a kitkat...... which i thought was a nice touch. The rooms are nicely lit with lamps and furnished well with free wi-fi which is a bonus. Not a bad little hotel all in all!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed August 31, 2009

I stayed for one night on business and when I was checked in I was upgraded free of charge into a studio apartment. Room was great apart from the pigeons outside who started screaming at arount 5.30! They seem to sleep underneath the windows.

Did not eat in the hotel that night and decided to nip across the road to get a chinese which was fine. Breakfast was fine.

Was really uptight that my car would not be there in the morning but to my surprise it was!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed March 13, 2009

Previously a hotel then a religious cult centre (so I'm told) the Summerhill has recently been refurbished with pleasant decor throughout. Simple, functional reception area manned by friendly professional staff and with night porter for security. Hotel features restaurant for well-priced bar meals, and a bar - don't venture to the bar downstairs, use the residents' bar. Comfortable, spacious room with kitchenette facility and en-suite shower room and free Wireless Internet throughout the hotel. The area is not at all pleasant (during my 2 night stay 4 different taxi drivers warned me (solo female traveller) against venturing out of the hotel. There is some street noise though to be fair there is minimal traffic noise for it being on a busy road...the one time I was woken during the night was locals arguing outside. Overall the hotel is good value for money but a shame it's in a less desirable part of town.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed February 2, 2009

My Partner and I stayed at this Hotel for two nights as we had traveled from Newcastle for a concert. Once we checked in and went to our room we found we had been given a twin instead of double, when this was reported to reception we were told no other rooms were available but our stay would now be complimentary. At the end of our stay we explained this to the supposed Manageress who, then accused my Partner of lying!!!! I can only assume this manager did not attend any customer service training.
We also had this misfortune of sampling the "breakfast" which was absolutely disgusting! I certainly would not eat anything else from there.
The hotel seems to be situated on the roughest council estate and cluster of shops which appear to be only for the use of the "locals". There is also some bizarre working mens club located beneath the hotel and I would not venture anywhere near this!
I certainly have no plans to return to this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 12, 2008

I stayed for one night in transit and I found the place to be pretty par for the course for Aberdeen.

The hotel is oddly situated north of Anderson Drive on the edge of a sprawling council housing scheme. It is not really within walking distance of anywhere one might reasonably want to go.

As previously reported the exterior is a bit grim but, once inside, the public areas are light, airy and clean. The room I had was a standard double bed, wardrobe, desk arrangement with a small bath en-suite. All clean and well-presented in a characterless sort of way. The view through the (externally) grimy window was of a service area and a wider view of the council estate but, to be honest, there's nowhere in Aberdeen where one would want to gaze out of the window.

Bedlinen and towels clean, plenty of scalding water, lighting adequate, tea & biccies - all comfortable enough really. Apparently there's free wireless internet but I didn't try it.

I can't comment on the evening restaurant as I didn't eat here but the full buffet breakfast was fine with everything one could reasonably want.

Everthing in Aberdeen is overpriced from the taxis to the beer to the restaurants.....and especially the accommodation. It is virtually impossible to just turn up in Aberdeen and get a room so hotels charge whatever the market will bear and don't make much of an effort with their service. A B&B with a shared bathroom will cost £35-£45 / night so the Summerhill, though not good value nationally, is nothing extravagent for Aberdeen.

So, all-in-all a run of the mill place to get boxed off for the night at a fairly average price. It's not cosy, romantic or handy for town but for someone passing through for a maximum of 2 nights this will fit he bill.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank Muckypots
Reviewed November 30, 2008

The surrounding area at night is a little intimidating and it didn't feel totally safe to leave my car in the adjacent car park. The room itself was ok but the biggest complaint for me was the fish I ate in the restaurant, part of which tasted disgusting and smelled like urine. Overall this was one of the worst stays I've had in a hotel.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank Jodeller
Reviewed September 6, 2008

When you arrive at the hotel, the surrounding area makes you think you've made a boo-boo.
Don't be put off by this. Inside the hotel it is very modern.
We chose a double suite as we like a bit more space. The room was clean and very well equipped, with small kitchen area, with fridge, microwave, iron and board and hair drier. They even provide bath robes and slippers. The decor was simple and modern as was the furniture. Flat screen TV.
Breakfast is buffet style and gets 9 out of 10 from us. No.23 bus from city centre stops at hotel.
Downside:- Shower not easy to enter/exit due to design of doors--ok if your skinny. Lift a bit slow for the impatient like us.
Good hotel for tourists as right next to main roads serving the north and north east.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple