“What's not to like!”

Ranked #33 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Scotland
“What's not to like!”
Reviewed August 20, 2014

This hotel certainly is situated on a main road and within an urban development but does not claim anything else. Stayed in a suite - spotlessly clean and with a lovely wee mini kitchen which could be really useful especially for a longer stay. Bed comfy. Great shower with overhead and side massaging sprays. Loads of wee extras - water, juice, chocolate, crisps, shortbread, biscuits. Toileteries like I have never seen - all the usuals plus lipbalm, comb, face spritzer, mouth wash... A lovely warm welcome and a brief phone call after check in to make sure all is well.... This hotel does exactly what it claims to and a wee bit more

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
summerhillAberdeen, General Manager at Best Western Summerhill Hotel And Suites, responded to this review, August 22, 2014
Dear 2scots

Thank you for taking the time to communicate your highly positive views on the hotel via the Trip Advisor site.

I will certainly pass on your comments to the team which I am sure they will be pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, our guests feedback is always appreciated as only through our guests comments do we know we are achieving our set standards.

We try to ensure our guests are aware that we do not pretend to be a high end luxurious property, we are a comfortable, clean and friendly hotel and are genuinely interested in our guests feedback in an aim to improve our service.

manager@summerhillhotelandsuites.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
england
Reviewed August 16, 2014

The hotel has a slightly unattractive situation but it is rather quirky The rooms are clean, modern & a good size with an ample sized shower room A good selection of toiletries are supplied & replenished each day A 'goodie bag' is supplied daily with cola, crisps, chocolate biscuit & breakfast bar which was a welcome gesture Also small bottles of water are supplied & there is a fridge & an electric fan in rooms Double beds are Queen size therefore on the small size
Parking is in the small free public car park situated in the little shopping area at the back of the hotel There is a bar & dining room but we dined elsewhere on this occasion
The Hotel certainly makes an effort to make your stay comfortable

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear looby1England

Thank you for taking the time to communicate your positive views on the hotel via the Trip Advisor site.

Kilwinning, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 8, 2014

Don't be put off by the exterior or location of this hotel. Its a real pleasure inside. Excellent service from all the staff. Rooms are a great size. Very clean. Helpful staff and all at a great price. Bar and restaruant down stairs with a great menu with loads of choice. Wifi service is good and has a nice friendly atmosphere. Nice goody bag in room and nice shortbread to be had with your tea or coffee also water and juice in the fridge. There was even homemade biscuits in the reception you could nibble on and free newspapers. You get a lot more here than you do at more expensive hotels in Aberdeen, but dont tell anyone!.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Dear Paul R

Our aim is to provide as many possible little extras for our guests to make there stay a bit more special and I am glad you have appreciated these.

Andover, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 5, 2014

Don't be put off by the location, it's not the prettiest area by any means but it does not have to be a deal breaker. However whilst the hotel is basic its very clean and staff very friendly. I booked a room for 2 nights at the last minute and found this hotel was very reasonably priced in comparison to others at the time of travelling which was in July 14.

The room was very well appointed with its little fridge and microwave, the bed 3/4 size but very comfortable for one. There was complimentary bottles of water (4) fruit, chocolate and biscuits as well as tea/coffee/ hot chocolate all inclusive in the price. I have stayed in lots of much more expensive hotels with less to offer.....

The hotel is located within 10 mins drive of the city centre and 20 from the airport.

The car park at the back of hotel did not feel the safest but I left my hire car there at night and nothing bad happened so I feel it is the look of the area that is the issue and not necessarily that it is a huge risk. Saying that I did not leave any valuables in the car but logically would not do that wherever I parked.

Only downside lift was broke when I stayed there and I had to climb 3 flights of stairs, which would not have been an option if I had mobility issues...

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
summerhillAberdeen, General Manager at Best Western Summerhill Hotel And Suites, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Dear Susan F

Laurencekirk, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 2, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the hotel for one night and would certainly insider staying here again. Yes from the outside it is not the prettiest building but I was pleasantly surprised with the inside. The car park is shared with a shopping centre but it was busy and full of cars presumably including local residents. When we checked in the room was not ready but this was handled professionally and resulted in a couple of free drinks which was a nice touch. The room itself was a suite and was fine for our one night stay. Also a nice touch with the complimentary goody bag.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Karen R

We are glad the small touches we add are appreciated by our guests as we are increasing the small touches by adding bathrobes and additional toiletries for our guests stay.

Bern, Switzerland
Reviewed July 30, 2014

We stayed there for one night while travelling through scottland, the staff was friendly and the room spotless. Much better than from the outside! The community parking-space is a bit unsafe and you probably shouldn't leave anything of value in your car!

Our room was quite spacious and well equipped, the goody bag was nice and the bathroom clean as well. So nothing to complain!

Only thing is, that it's not very close to the city...

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Stefan G

Nottingham
Reviewed July 29, 2014

Wow, this hotel is, without doubt the scariest looking hotel I've ever stated in. From the outside the only thing missing is barbed wire and gun emplacements......although the management assures me they are coming soon! It looks dirty, run down and un friendly and if it wasn't too late to have cancelled I would have turned round and slept in the car.

Car parking....hmmm, you abandon, not park, abandon, your car to the mercy if the locals in a "car park" to the rear of the hotel. There is the added delight of a Farm Foods and a couple of other boarded up shops. Take everything of value out of the car. This usually means your sat nav, any loose valuables and wallets etc...... In this case I'm sat I'm my room surrounded by the aforementioned articles plus the wheels, radio, seats, windscreen and 12 gallons of diesel as I didn't want to leave anything to chance.

On check in there is the worlds smallest check in desk. Actually doesn't look too bad inside so there's the one star in the rating.

Turns out I'm allocated a disabled room, don't know why but these things happen. Only thing is, this disabled room is in the top floor of the hotel......and the lift is broken and appears to have been broken for some time. I kid you not folks, you couldn't make this up! Stick with me it gets better.

On the bright side it's got a nice bathroom....pity there's no soap or shower gel! Quick call to reception results in a visit from someone bringing me a bar of soap......the hotel has apparently run out of shower gel. I told you it got better!

I'm not going to chance eating in the restaurant, I'll grab a pizza from one of the shops nearby....should be worth another half star but you can only award full ones!

Be aware the hotel is situated on a busy racing circuit locally referred to as the main road. This area appears to e frequented by a certain type of person commonly known as a "boy racer". These boy racers apparently have NOT heard of silencers nor, it appears, have they mastered the art if clutch control.....it's either fully depressed or fully out with the accelerator pedal going in the opposite direction.

The hotel is also situated on the main flight path into Aberdeen airport......I'm sure I heard the last lot of passengers laughing at us as the landing wheels skimmed off the hotel roof.

All in all stay away.....in Aberdeen, no one can hear you scream! Generally as the locals in their cars are making too much noise.

Room Tip: Best rooms appear to be situated about 30 miles away!