Best Western Summerhill Hotel And Suites
Ranked #37 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed November 26, 2013

The hotel it's self is fine but the parking is not safe to say the least.
You have to use a farm foods car park next door and cars get scratched by other motorists.
Aberdeen is very expensive to stay and you cannot get into this hotel during the week due to the oil workers using it for work.
I suppose if you book it months in advance there maybe a chance of a room.

Room Tip: Rooms are fine and clean
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
summerhillAberdeen, General Manager at Best Western Summerhill Hotel And Suites, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2013

Dear daviefreescot

Thank you for taking the time to communicate your views on the hotel via the Trip Advisor site.

Unfortunately as we do not have our own car park this is the closest parking for hotel guests although there a few alternative spaces at the rear of the shopping area.

As you say Aberdeen is very busy mid-week and generally rooms do tend to sell out a week in advance and on most dates we generally do not have rooms available to sell on the day.

There are newer reviews for Best Western Summerhill Hotel And Suites

Reviewed November 25, 2013

I had to book a hotel for my partner and I last minute and could only get this place. I had stayed here before so knew it was ok, I got a suite before and a room this time. The downside was Mon to Thu in Aberdeen are really expensive due to rig workers travelling. The room cost £160 !!!!
But it was really nice with a drench shower and free wifi. It was less than £10 in a taxi to the city centre. There is parking and it looks really dodgy but twice my car has been fine. There is a dodgy little pub under the hotel............AVOID.
On arrival the receptionist was very friendly and couldn`t do enough for us, in the room was a complimentary bottle of wine with 2x glasses and a large selection of water, juice, crisps and chocolate.
Bed was comfy, the desk was situated away from the mirror which was not very useful for my partner.
I would stay again, but on the weekend when its cheaper.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
summerhillAberdeen, General Manager at Best Western Summerhill Hotel And Suites, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2013

Dear simon j

I will certainly pass on your comments to the team which I am sure they will be pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, our guests feedback is always appreciated as only through our guests comments do we know we are achieving our set standards.

As you say Aberdeen is very busy mid-week and the average prices are generally very high, we always try to ensure our prices are highly competitive and always offer a best rate guarantee. Most weeks our rates are the lowest in the area although demand always out weighs supply mid week.

Reviewed November 24, 2013

My husband and i stayed through a deal with Groupon for two nights.The hotel exceeded our expectations,lovely comfortable rooms with a kitchen included.We got complimentary sweets and soft drinks and also free toiletries.The meals were very good, throughout our stay.We think we got an extremely good deal for the price we paid for our stay.Overall a very good hotel,and we would recommend to anyone staying in Aberdeen.

Dear fiferose

Reviewed November 24, 2013

We had a Saturday and Sunday night stay on a "Living Social" voucher. A £10 Taxi ride got us there from the railway station; during the day at least, there is a regular 'bus service with stops very close on the main road outside. Externally, the modern building of which the hotel is a large part is rather unprepossessing, but inside is attractive and comfortable. We arrived mid-evening, and, after a long day's travel and other activities, were happy to take advantage of room service, which was available up till about 21.45; the food was fine (my wife had a risotto while I had a steak sandwich with salad); we were not disturbed for the dishes. Both mornings we had the cooked buffet breakfast, and while such buffets can be vulnerable to having to sit around before being eaten, this did not prevent some elements from being really tasty; additionally, any choice of eggs is cooked to order. Your reviewer was pleased to see that the legendary Aberdeen "buttery" - a distinctive kind of bread roll - was available. On the second evening, we had the three course dinner which came with the offer, in the restaurant (same space as for breakfast). Adele had a green salad and a turkey dinner, while I had a vegetable soup and haddock with breadcrumbs, chips and vegetables; the fish was garnished with (I think a tomato sauce - I was told - I have just forgotten!) which was quite piquant. The fish was beautifully cooked; I could have done with a wee bit less of the sauce, which began to dominate the experience. Nevertheless, it was still very enjoyable. For dessert, we both fancied the fruits of the forest "winterberry" - a gorgeous mousse sort of thing, but decorum required that our ageing digestions did not quite finish it. Suffice to say that we both enjoyed our meals, in a pleasant environment with friendly and helpful Staff, as was our experience throughout the Hotel. Our accommodation was in a suite: very comfortable, and provided with microwave and fridge, which contained complimentary chocolate bars and crisps, and renewed on Day 2. Reception also sent up a sewing kit and facecloth on request - both complimentary, and of good quality. The lift was out of action on Sunday morning - Reception was very apologetic, and being proactive about getting a repair; it was OK when we came back early evening. We were aware of some planes passing over about 05.00/06.00; this may not be a regular problem, I think that the airport - about 5 miles away to the northwest - was being affected by a northwest wind, which is not the prevailing wind direction in this area. We both liked the Summerhill, and would be happy to stay there again.

Room Tip: We were in Room 311 on the 2nd Floor and found it quiet; this is the south side of the hotel, away f...

Dear Pitcaple

Reviewed November 20, 2013

Clean, newly refurbished. Very good food in the evening, not too expensive. Parking may be a problem, the hotel has no parking area of its own. You park on a communal area at the rear that is shared with local shops and businesses. In the evening we got a space ok, but in the day it will not be easy parking. Location is close to ring road, well out of the city centre. Traffic in Aberdeen is a nightmare, the worst thing about our visit. The lift does not go to the floors where the bedrooms are, it only stops at a halfway landing that gives access to the main wedding or conference area. If you are staying you will always have to carry your bag up one flight of stairs. Room was adequate, but there was only one spare electrical plug and that was under the desk area, not good when you want to charge a mobile phone and use a laptop and make coffee. Overall very good, but a lot of minor irritations.

Room Tip: The elevator does not give level access to the floors where bedrooms are located, it stops at a half...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
summerhillAberdeen, General Manager at Best Western Summerhill Hotel And Suites, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2013

Dear Unfathomable

As a standard the team know to offer assistance with guests luggage which clearly has not been offered to yourselves, for which please accept my sincere apologies as this is not the standard I expect for our guests.

Reviewed November 18, 2013

We stayed here on a deal through Groupon and this was our first visit. From the outside the hotel doenst look too pleasing but inside it is clean and tidy. Our room was a suite with ample facilites and again was clean. We also ate dinner and breakfast twice and this was all very nice too. Unfortunately upon arriving back home I found that I had left my £150 GHD hair straighteners in my room. Clearly dismayed by this, I contacted the hotel to advise them. Whilst they were unable to check there and then, I did receive a call back from a member of the reception team some 4 hours after my initial call. I was shocked to learn that my hair straighteners were not there! The same member of the reception team did not seem at all interested and when I pressed her about the matter she became somewhat irritated with me. I manged to confirm with her that someone else had stayed in my room after I left however the rooms are always checked thoroughly after each guest leaves. In light of this, why were they not picked up? Clearly they were not on the hotels itineray so why did the housekeeping team not hand them in to lost property. I appreciate that is my error in leaving the irons there however I am sure I am not the first person in the world to leave something in a hotel room. Fair enough if I had left the item on a train or bus but they never left the hotel room so they cant have just disappeared into thin air? It is incredibly upsetting that they have been lost or dare I say stolen. They were a present from my parents for my birthday and were not cheap. My father has called twice and whilst the reception manager has said the matter has been fully investigated I am at a loss as to why they have not been found? Very dissapointing end to a nice stay in Aberdeen.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Lynsey T

Dear Lynsey T

I will certainly pass on your comments to the team which I am sure they will be pleased to hear that your stay with us on the main part was a positive one. I am somewhat dismayed that your hair straighteners seem to have not been logged into our lost property.

We have checked and double checked to ensure they were not placed in lost property without being logged and unfortunately this was not the case. We have also spoken to the housekeeping team who assure us they did not find any hair straighteners as we have a very strict policy in guest property.

We have also double checked our in house cctv system and there are no items of lost property apparent on this footage as guest security is of paramount importance.

Overall I can only apologise this has affected your recent stay with us, we hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed November 17, 2013

excellent hotel, very clean and warm. The rooms are not large but very presentable with full tea coffee facilities in the room.
The evening meal was excellent served in a very bright conservatory. the breakfast-buffet service was full Scottish in ample supply.
my only concern was the car park which was a public car park servicing nearby shops and a very rough pub below the hotel. I saw a couple of dodgy males exiting the pub checking the vehicles.

Room Tip: good hotel and excellent value,very clean with excellent food and full self service Scottish breakfa...

Dear steve s

The car park is for most guests a concern although issues with the car park are few and far between although on first sight it can be very daunting.