“Average, but costly”

Ranked #13 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Arbroath, United Kingdom
“Average, but costly”
Reviewed March 27, 2014

Stayed for one night. Room was lovely. We ate in the restaurant. Service was barely average. Food was edible, but nothing to write home about (we did not eat steak – maybe that’s where we went wrong).

Only shining light in the whole evening were the bar staff. I found them totally professional, efficient and they went that little bit extra.

Like most things in Aberdeen, from cafe's to garages it was very expensive but not with the quality and service you would normally associate with that kind of cost.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Roula S, General Manager at Malmaison Aberdeen, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Thank you for your lovely comments about the Bar staff , we will surely share this with the team. I am sorry you did not enjoy your dinner, Our Brasserie caters to most individual preferences so please let us know next time you stay with us if there is anything we can specifically cater for you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Today I had lunch at the resteraunt in Malmaison Aberdeen. I thought since the interior was very upmarket and the bar area was too that the food would be of the same standard. How wrong was I! First of all we ordered soup of the day. Which after asking a second waiter what it was because we couldn't understand the first waiter found out it was tomato and basil. When the soup came out after a long wait it was presented in a mug. You know what you would have tea or coffee in. After tasting it I realised it wasn't tonato and basil it was in fact carrot and coriander. The waiter came over and asked if everything was ok. He straight away said that's not the correct soup is it. Then proceeded to say the kitchen have changed it and not told me. The soup was bland with no seasoning and quite thin. After that was cleared away we waited probably about 25 mins just as I was getting wrestles a waiter came over with guess what? Two more soups. Not the main that we ordered. After explaining to her we've already had our starter she never apologised or said anything just took them away. Then about 10 minutes later another different waitress appeared with, you guessed it, two soups again!!! At least this one said sorry but never explained what was going on. Our mains came and was very average. We weren't once asked if we wanted anymore drinks during the meal but when it came to being just about finished our desert we were asked. All staff seemed to have disapeared just as I was wanting to pay for the bill so I had to get out of my seat and look for somone. Very poor service very average food and I will not be coming back to this place again. If this is the standard they have with a new hotel opening up next door then they will quickly be loosing customers.

Stayed March 2014
2 Thank callison55476
thank you for your feedback, from your comments I can only assume you were here on Sunday brunch as only on Sundays we do serve the soup in a mug! It is a daring choice but we think its cool and more relaxed and fits into our Sunday Brunch ethos, I do apologise for the mis-understanding of the soup flavours, our Brunch is the most popular place to be on a Sunday and we may sometimes change the soup flavour mid-service, we will ensure in the future that a miscommunication as such does not impact the dinners. Thank you for again for your comments, and we hope to welcome you back to the Mal Aberdeen.
aberdeen
Reviewed March 22, 2014 via mobile

Booked this hotel as a surprise get away for myself & husband. Book the "Superior" double as it read well on the website. Have to say there was very little about it that i found "superior" Shower was mouldy, bog standard bath with taps at the end so you couldn't share it with your partner, a real let down. Plus side was a very comfy bed so at least i slept well.
Food stupidly over-priced for what you actually got. I have no problem paying for expensive food but it must live up to its expectations! restaurant reviewed separately. I will not recommend this hotel to anyone and i certainly will mot be back. There are many more hotels in the city that are nicer than this for the same, if not less money.

• Stayed March 2014
thank you for your feedback, I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay. I can assure you we have a program of refilling the bathrooms on regular basis with fresh silicone, and I am sorry you have had to experience a below par room standard. Our food prices are in line with our competitors in the city, and we offer classic French Brasserie food with a twist.
Rothesay, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 18, 2014

This was poor value for money. Loud music from the public bar beneath my room prevented sleep, my room had large windows facing onto a busy well lit road and the design of the curtains made them impossible to close. In the morning I complained at the checkout but did not have time to wait for the manager (which was anyway not offered). All for £350/night; Malmaison indeed.

Room Tip: If you have no other choice of hotel then ask for a room away from the bar and the main road. Person...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Michael B
Thank you for your feedback, we are really sorry you had a bad experience, the part of the hotel you stayed in is a listed building which prevents any works being done to it to amend the structure or design, I can assure you if you stay was not during a fully booked hotel the team would have proposed to move your room and upgrade you. We hope you stay with us again soon, and please advise at the time of the booking that you prefer not to stay in the original part of the hotel.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 18, 2014

We stayed at the weekend for my birthday, my man had thoughtfully ordered chocolate covered strawberries and rose champagne to be in the room on arrival. I'm a bit of a Malmaison aficionado...only have Dundee left to visit in Scotland, then onto the English Mals...

I can honestly say I think it was my favourite Malmaison yet. We had a superior double room and it was massive, with a chaise lounge, huge bed, double drench shower, roll top bath and little extras.

We ate in the restaurant on the Saturday night, the only thing I would say is we were served by about 5 different waiters, which was a little confusing. Food was great and service slightly slow but they had parties in and there was not one seat free in the restaurant, so it's understandable!

The breakfast is certainly worth it, we indulged and filled up for the day. The breakfast was lovely and for the most part served at the table.

The staff were friendly, helpful, professional and nice. The hotel was spotless. The rooms are fantastic, I would certainly stay again!

Room Tip: Only slight downside, the road at the front is a little noisy, if your a stickler for quiet nights s...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your lovely comments, we will share your comments with the team, and we will ensure the next time your room is not front facing to help you sleep more comfortably. looking forward to see you soon.
Scotland
Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

Stayed over here one night with my wife recently. The standard rooms were absolutely gorgeous and very tastefully decorated to a high standard. Beautiful restaurant and bar area with attentive staff. Limited car park spaces. The only complaint that I would have is that the beds are rock hard and particularly uncomfortable. Oh and the price is inflated accordingly with Aberdeen being the self proclaimed oil capital of Europe. But you already knew that, right?

I would definitely come back but I wouldn't stay over as I have said before- there are lots of little comfortable b&b's at a fraction of the price that offer the same type of accommodation.

Top tip- order room service breakfast for a luxurious extra. Just don't walk into the room fresh out of the shower in all your glory when the staff are bringing it into the room!

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate your comments and we will share with the team, we are in the process of changing our mattresses so please come back to visit us soon to try them out.
Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

Having decided last minute to go here, we wanted something different to do for a weekend away. Never been to a malmaison before so was keen to see the layout and unique features. The room was spot on. It was a superior double and just what we needed. The staff were excellent and the hotel is immaculate. Lots of features and designs that you notice over a couple of days. The whisky pantry is awesome and perfect for whisky lovers with a great choice. Lots of nooks and crannies to sit and relax in. Didn't get to see the petit spa but will see it next time when we return, which we will do. The brasserie was also excellent which is in a separate review. Definitely recommend and would certainly return for a touch of unique luxury.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your lovely comments, we look forward to your return to Aberdeen, we hope it will be soon!