“Style over function”
Review of Malmaison Aberdeen

Malmaison Aberdeen
Ranked #13 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed March 8, 2014

This is a nice hotel with friendly efficient staff, in a great location - they made our stay very pleasant... but FOR THE PRICE TAG, the rooms are small and badly designed. Attractively designed, but badly designed. They are great to look at, provided you don't put any guests in them. The décor is SO dark - fine in the evening, but wake up in the morning and you find no well-lit mirror you can get near to: try shaving / putting your make-up on ... Only table is a very narrow desk already full of telephone, brochure stand, tray and bottle of wine (so nowhere for a guest to put anything of his own). Order room service and the member of staff who brings it will have nowhere to put a plate (never mind the whole tray). In the bathroom, no robes, basic three "S"s (soap, shower gel, shampoo) only - no conditioner/lotion for example. For a price tag for a standard room i.r.o £250 (for a hotel out of London), you'd be entitled to expect something a bit better thought-through. Stay here if you don't mind paying for the location and travel very light.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank J J
Roula S, General Manager at Malmaison Aberdeen, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2014

Thank you for your comments, we are looking into some vanity mirrors and some improved lighting in the room to allow for make-up and shaving, we understand these can be challenging at times. Our rates are in line with demand and supply in the city, and even though Aberdeen may not compare to London from a size perspective, Aberdeen demand exceeds London market and this is reflected in the prices in the city. Thank you again for your comments and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed March 5, 2014 via mobile

Stayed one night due to business, managed to get a suite also!
Bit too dark in terms of decor and setting but very cool. Room excellent and massive, had 2 showers, wooden bath! 2 TVs and a living area- great for a party! Steak restaurant was brilliant too. Would 100% stay again

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank MJDBMW

I see you stayed in our Executive Suite Balmoral, a very cool room indeed. the next time you are with us we can provide additional lights in your room is you find the space too dark. we look forward to see you soon and thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed March 1, 2014

My husband and I had a night away here - stayed in one of the suites. The room was nice but it was a little tired in places. The ventilation in the bathroom was not good, resulting in steam running down the walls (although the shower was lovely). The bath in the middle of the bedroom was a little odd. I like to go and have a soak in private to enjoy the peace and quiet. Couldn't really do that when my husband was lying on the bed watching tv in the same room!
For me, the best part of the hotel was the restaurant. Breakfast was lovely.
The location is not particularly central - good for business people, as there are a lot of offices nearby - it's a fair old walk from the town centre though, particularly if you have arrived by train. On the plus side, it is quiet.
As I said, it was a nice room but I expected more for the money. Also, the fantastic nibbles that are mentioned on the website are fantastically expensive! When you're paying more than £200 a night, I would expect to get some free peanuts.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank barbarazzi

Dear Barbara,

we appreciate your comments, and thank you for your feedback. The rooms are designed with the bath outside to create a bit of a wow effect, not to mention that we 'dare to be different'. Our location is in the well sought after high end of Aberdeen, the west end is one of the most quiet, safe, and preferred neighbourhood for most travellers. The next time you visit we will happily arrange for a taxi on us to bring you to the hotel from the station. we look forward to see you soon.

Reviewed March 1, 2014

We recieved the most genuine, hospitable welcome from the receptionist on arrival to the hotel, who kindly showed my family to our room and offered to assist with lugage and dinner reservations. We were upgraded to a Junior Suite (32) which had the WOW factor. My Wife and young children were amazed with the roll top bath. the huge bed, the large bay window and the massive walk in shower. The room was spotlessly clean as were all the public area's and Restaurant. We had a family meal in the evening and again, service and food was faultless. The staff were all attentive and and very accommodating with my little family. Breakfast service on both mornings were relaxing. I say this as hotel breakfast rooms can often feel rushed. Throughout our two day visit, myself and my family were only disappointed with one thing..... the break was too short! We look forward to returning to Malmaison Aberdeen again soon

Room Tip: Room 32 was large and at the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family

Thank you so much for your lovely comments, myself and the team appreciate your comments and will make sure they are shared with the staff on duty. Thanks again.

Reviewed March 1, 2014

Hi was at Malmaison Aberdeen today for afternoon tea and I have to say it was very disappointing. I have been to malmaison a few times and never had bad meal, but I think they need to re-think afternoon tea. The scones and cakes were lovely but the sandwiches I have to say we're awful. The first lot we got seemed stale so we complained and got more with nicer bread. But the second lot we're just as bad, one was cheese and tomato but it had two strands of cheese another was egg and cress with more cress than egg and the other was cucumber with two of the thinnest bits of cucumber you have ever seen with no butter or nothing, but cucumber really yuck. For it being malmaison I was expecting really nice sandwiches they should have them in mini buns with lovely fillings instead of normal hovis bread (just an idea) I wouldn't go back unless they changed how they serve it I have to say. The two waitresses were really lovely who we complained to and were serving us.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends

Thank you for your feedback, we have received your comments direct at the hotel and a suitable compensation has been offered. We are sorry you were disappointed on this occasion and we will look into our sandwiches choices for the future.

Reviewed February 23, 2014

Our first experience of Malmaison was on a friends night away for five. We made full use of the hotel facilities, visiting the spa and having cocktails in the bar before a delicious dinner in the brasserie. We were impressed by all areas of the hotel. Staff were attentive without being intrusive, and provided a round of complimentary drinks when one starter arrived slightly late. We all left with the feeling that nothing was too much bother for any of the staff, and I look forward to staying here again.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Roula S, General Manager at Malmaison Aberdeen, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

Thank you for your lovely feedback, we appreciate your time and comments, and I am very pleased to read that we have left you with a fabulous first impression, here is to many more to come, and we hope to see you again soon.
I will share your comments with the team! I am sure they will be delighted.

Reviewed February 21, 2014

Stayed for the weekend with my boyfriend in one the superior rooms.
Room was lovely, very spacious and clean. Bathroom was also very nice - can't fault the room in anyway - had everything we needed.
Staff at reception were great and very helpful upon arrival and booking us a taxi etc.
Breakfast was lovely in the morning, great selection of foods and the cooked breakfast was very nice. Again, cant complain about the food or service.

Overall, the hotel is lovely and I would definitely return to this hotel for another stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Soph,

Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate your comments and we hope to see you again soon. I will make sure your comments are shared with the team
thanks again