“Lovely looking hotel.”

Ranked #13 of 64 Hotels in Aberdeen
aberdeenshire
“Lovely looking hotel.”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This hotel looked really nice, lovely decor and our room was large and grand, the bathroom was luxurious and the bed huge and comfy! Unfortunately our room was downstairs and felt that we were in the basement and looked out into sheds, scaffold and bins! We should have requested a change and would have if we were staying more than 1 night! The bar seemed chaotic on the Saturday night waited 25 minutes for a cocktail!

Room Tip: Not 21!! Nice room but terrible outlook!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here again for the second time, but this time on the girls night in package with my two best friends for my birthday! They were hill accommodating by allowing all three of us to stay in the same room together, but providing an extra bed. Shortly after we arrived we received 'MAL munchies' which were out of this world (I have added a picture to show), it had risotto, pasta, savoury tea cakes, pâté on oatcakes, chicken skewers, soup, then shot glasses of different desserts!! Was amazing and totally shocked by this as I expected the munchies to be crisps and chocolate etc!! We then all headed to the spa for our treatments which were included in the price, again, no faults here, amazing experiance. We had some cocktails at the bar, which a was an enjoyable time, wide selection of drinks to choose from. the next morning we were due to have breakfast delivered to the room, and again I was stunned, it had everything, cereal, milk, fruit, a yogurt, croissants, jams, butter, and fruit juice!!! Amazing!!! Aberdeen Malmaison is still ' the mother of all Mals ' to me and I cannot wait to return!!

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 5, 2013

My husband and I stayed for one night on the 4th May. This was our second visit within a year on a DB&B rate. Whilst the first stay was fantastic, I have to say that the standard was not so high this time. The shower cubicle was not watertight so taking a shower meant flooding of the bathroom floor was inevitable. It just felt that there was general lack of care about the decor and fixtures within the room. At dinner our main course was delayed, and we were told this was due to a large party who had been late. This wouldn't have been a major problem but other people who had arrived after us were tucking into their main courses and puddings, whilst we still waited. The food was thankfully good. We did advise both the restaurant and reception staff that we were not satisfied with the service. Disappointed after such great service on our last trip.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Gardeningfairy
Austin, Texas
Reviewed May 4, 2013

There is apparently an old part and a new part of this hotel. We stayed in the old..not by choice and thankfully only one night. No help with our bags so we (65 and 62 years old) carried them up 2 floors....no elevator in our part. The floor of our room was sloping to one side so therefore all furniture sloped. I thought the bedside table was broken until I started trying to walk across a sloping floor. The person sleeping on the left side of the bed felt like they were rolling out all night. The staff was unfriendly and I had planned to tell them what I thought when we checked out the next morning when they asked "how was your stay?"..... They didn't ask. Not even a "thank you". We just left and vowed never to come back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Deb H
Alford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

Feels a like its gone downhill over last couple of years. Expensive, food quality very average, great service. Table not the best, steaks very good but sauce and salads very poor. Told by restaurant kids could not sit in the bar however this was not true, welcomed by the bar staff. Overall service was friendly and helpful.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank John A
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 28, 2013

If anyone is ever staying in Aberdeen and looking for a decent hotel I will undoubtedly recommend this place. It's only downside is that it's not right in the centre. I've eaten there a few times where we've had good steak and good service.

My wife has used their spa a few times and loves it. Friends have stayed there for a month (company accommodation) and loved it too.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Kilmarnock
Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed in the Malmaison a few times now and just wouldn't go anywhere else in Aberdeen. As soon as you walk in its just a lovely experience the decor is beautiful, very modern but very Scottish and keeps in tone with the style of the building and street. My husband and I stayed last Saturday night on a short break to the city. For the first time we had a room in the old part of the building it doesn't have a lift which may not be ideal for all guests but not really a problem for us. The room was a bit smaller than those which I've stayed in in the new part of hotel but decor still lovely with comfy bed and amazing shower. Reception staff and efficient, friendly and helpful despite being very busy. We had drinks at the bar before heading out which again was busy with good atmosphere and good service. The next day we were meeting friends for brunch which I have to say was outstanding. £20 for pretty much all you can eat and food was lovely. Quite rightly so the place was heaving and a lovely chilled on Sunday afternoon. Overall a fab stay and I'll definitely be back.

• Stayed April 2013