“Beware the Dinner B&B Package”
Review of Malmaison Aberdeen

Malmaison Aberdeen
Ranked #9 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed December 2, 2012

We booked a dinner B&B package for a spur of the moment treat. We arrived at about 4pm but by then the only options for dinner were 6pm and 9.30pm – not ideal! Also our room wasn’t ready which we didn’t know until we specifically asked the receptionist as she had just left us standing there like a couple of lemons while she fiddled with her PC. To be fair we were then offered complimentary drinks in the bar while we waited but no one told the bar staff – how embarrassing! Mind you the service was so slow that our room was ready before the drinks! In fact another customer told me (without any prompting whatsoever) that slow service is normal in the bar. Our room was okay but very hot in the night and the heater controls didn’t seem to work. There were no glasses (although there were plastic beakers in the bathroom) and there was a large brown frothy liquid stain on the bedroom ceiling that looked like someone had been spraying coffee or Guinness about. In the Brasserie the menu for the actual DB&B package is very limited indeed so if you want anything substantial forget it. If you opt for the normal menu they do credit you with £35 a couple but that will only get you a modest main course. In my view calling it a DB&B package is at best a little disingenuous. The food was reasonable but the French fries reminded me of McDonalds and although the staff are nice we didn’t have any cutlery when our mains arrived and had to ask for it! My breakfast was very good but my wife’s was only luke warm. In conclusion I was very disappointed and really don’t know what all the fuss is about this place. Frankly it seemed less than ordinary to me and not at all worth the money!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AllyDundee
Write a ReviewReviews (1,255)

Reviewed November 29, 2012

I love Mal group , especially the Aberdeen Restaurant, its got great ambiance and great design. However it seems every time we visit they just dont quite get it right!! For the prices being charged it should be spot on. Had a Girls night out for four of us, celebrating a birthday. We we were situated on such a large table that we had to shout to one another to be heard . The food was excellent as was were the attitude of the servers , however the vegetables did not arrive until we had nearly finished our main course. We had to ask several times and several staff to get a bottle of wine. They let you taste the wine then no one bothers to top you up , this was 33 expensive wine not cheap plonk ! This is supposed to be a top notch joint not a wee local village bistro. We were overcharged by one drink in the bar prior to our dinner. Top marks to the lady who listened to my complaints and adjusted our bill accordingly. Her Customer Service was spot on. I really love this place but I am truly getting fed up of everytime I visit having to complain about something! More staff and better training required.

Reviewed November 28, 2012

The food in the Brasserie in Aberdeen is excellent. The choice and service was excellent, with wine flowing and the atmosphere being absorbed. Although travelling by myself on business (something that isn't always very enjoyable, wherever the venue) I was lead to a seat by the steak bar. This area was full of people in a similar situation, lone travellers on business.
The cook and catering staff were very friendly and talkative, which made the whole atmosphere even better. I opted for the Sea Bass which was excellent, but I was later advised that the steaks are the "Best in Aberdeen" and I the comments of other diners and the pride of the cook seem to testify this. I am staying here again next week, again on business, and I shall be trying the steak to see if it lives up to the reputation.
The rooms were excellent, with large bedroom area and wardrobe, large bathroom with freestanding bath and twin shower.
Cleanliness was excellent, as was the overall service. The car parking situation, as is the norm in Aberdeen, is a bit hit and miss. Due to the small size of the car park there can sometimes be difficulty in securing a space but it's never that long a wait and at least it's free for the duration of the stay.
The whisky/single malt selection is absolutely brilliant, sampled quite a few of those.
Overall, a very enjoyable stay and will go back again. Price is expensive so keep an eye out for deals but for business travel it's now my first choice in Aberdeen.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 26, 2012

We stayed here for a girls weekend away. The decor is lovely and the beds are amazingly comfortable. Felt we got a good deal with DBB, having £70 allocated to each room for dinner. The main problem was the lighting- so dark, really difficult to put make up on! The shower was lovely and the toiletries much appreciated.
The restaurant is lovely with good service. The chicken dish we had was tasty but there really were only a handful of bits of chicken in it, glad we weren't hungry. It is expensive and you have to pay extra for veg and carbohydrate. Aberdeen is short of high end hotels, this one does tick the boxes- just put some more lighting in the bedrooms!

1  Thank carolclose_10
Reviewed November 16, 2012

We capped off a week in the UK with one night at Mal. Fantastic. I wish we could have stayed longer. We had a huge suite. We loved the decor and the vibe of the place. Very hip. We ate in the restaurant and had a great meal. I was hesitant after reading a couple bad reviews about the service at the restaurant, but I can't say a bad thing about it. It was a nice evening after a hectic trip of planes, trains and automobiles across the UK.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Arrived at the Malmaison Aberdeen, Scotland last week and the decor is fantastic. The room size is more than satisfactory with a contemporary flair. I like the boutique style furnishings and room. The restaurant located in the hotel has fantastic steaks and excellent customer service. The bar in the hotel seems like "the" hot spot for Aberdeen socialites. The bar area has an enormous scotch selection. Very satisfied with my experience and I will return if in the area again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 11, 2012

The mal is a lovely hotel but unfortunately the service lets it down miserably.
We stayed for the girls package recently but the food was hugely disappointing. The service wasnt the best and we found that everything seemed to be a hassle for the staff.
We asked for tea bags in the room and were told they weren't sure if we could have more?
Great hotel for a spa party but food let it down:(

Room Tip: If you can push the boat out go for a suite, all rooms are very chic though! Room 123 has a balcony...