Almondine
Ranked #1 of 14 Dessert in Aberdeen
Cuisines: French
Description: We are a family run patisserie and coffee shop specialising in small batch, delicious, handmade macarons. We also offer other handmade pastries and vienoissories.
Reviewed February 12, 2014

My sister and I visited Almondine a few weeks ago after receiving a box of 7 Almondine macarons each as a gift. We decided to stop by for a tea break during a busy day of hitting the shops and my were we impressed! I ordered myself a tea and my sister a latte and could not resist adding a croissant and pain au raisin to our order! We took a seat and our drinks and pastries were taken over by one of the girls. Our drinks were served with beautiful china and the pot my tea was served in made me feel decadent! The surroundings are so very beautiful, stylish and very simple. Definitely a very calming atmosphere with soft jazz music playing in the background. On tasting our pastries I felt like I'd died and gone to sweet heaven! We shared our treats as they were so outstanding we just couldn't keep them to ourselves! On leaving we purchased a box of macarons and a chocolate eclair. Needless to say, both were so very delicious! The service was impeccable and food/drinks competively priced. My sister and I will definitely return.

Reviewed February 2, 2014

As a lover of macarons I was delighted to finally find a place in Aberdeen that made really good ones. Had been into the shop several times just to buy to take away but last week arranged to meet a friend there for coffee. As it was a fairly cold wet morning I decided to have a hot chocolate and it was delicious, served in a silver pot, it poured like melted chocolate. Last time I had one that good was in Bruges. My friend who had coffee said it was very good too. The place is small with only 4 tables. Very nicely decorated in pastel colours, with paintings of French scenes on the walls and French music in the background it has a lovely ambiance. Very attentive service too. Will definitely be going back.

Reviewed February 1, 2014

I am enjoying the foodie diversity that is in Aberdeen having lived here 20 years now. Last time I was in Paris , the hotel I stayed in was next door to an Almondine macaroon baker . It smelt divine although I didn't go in. This time in grey old Aberdeen. , in wet blustery weather, we went to the West end and had good French Coffee and macaroons. The place is quite small but lovely and light. I am thinking hard if this was once the Fishmonger? Before someone trolled me again for my reviews ... It might be. However it is nice to have Almondine in Aberdeen. I like the diversity and choice, Coffee was good and the macaroons were lovely. Yes I will be back taking my boyfriend ASAP.

Reviewed January 19, 2014

We purchased purchased 8 boxes of Macarons from Susan to take to the US for Christmas 2013 and they were an unabashed success! When we heard that she was opening a café on Thistle Street, we knew that it would be first class (just like her macarons) so yesterday we stopped by Almondine for a treat and espresso.......we were not disappointed!

The espresso bar is very much in the French style and Susan and her daughters had an assortment of pastries to please even the most discerning. If you have read any of my other reviews you know how I feel about espresso in Scotland overall this was different. The café was superb with all the nice touches that can make it special. We ordered a strong cappuccino and a strong latté and surprise surprise, we got just that. Not weak and milky but the "real deal".

Great atmosphere too with soft jazzy music.......perfect for a Saturday morning.

Reviewed January 10, 2014

Just returned from Paris for holidays. Had so many macarons over there. Surprised to find Almondine in Aberdeen specialized on Macarons. I bought 2 boxes of 14 (£30 total) today. One for close friend. One for me and my wife. Like every piece. It is not the same as the one in Paris but taste very good. Will definitely go back regularly for self and others. Must try if you are in Aberdeen.