“Nice room, but food very poor and general bar area not good!”

Courtyard Aberdeen Airport
Ranked #25 of 64 Hotels in Aberdeen
Surrey, United Kingdom
“Nice room, but food very poor and general bar area not good!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

Looking at the other reviews, the issues are very much the same as other guests with regards to the big let down at this hotel.......the food and bar area.

The selection of food is very limited, with as I recall there was about four main dishes to choose from. With such a limited menu, I wouldn't mind too much if the food was of a good standard, but the burger I tried on the first evening was dry and over cooked and the fish and chips the second evening was not much better. They were both served on a wooden board, so you chase the food around trying to eat it and there is no side salad or vegetables to choose from. Not good and not cheap either.

The bar/combined eating area is also just too small and weirdly laid out with a strange mix of sofas, small booths and a mix of tables that provide no atmosphere. It's trying to be too many things and does not work well at any of them. I guess the point being is that it appears that the hotel is not catering to guests that just want to sit down and chill after a day out. It's a pit stop for a quick drink as it stands at the moment.

One other point that upon returning after a days work,the room had not been cleaned and towels etc not changed. Reception were quick to resolve, dropping off fresh towels etc, but they had 9 hours to get the room sorted which was a bit of a pain.

Now onto the good news. The hotel is very new and so has yet to have the decorative corners knocked off it, and the rooms are presented to a very nice standard. The bed was also very comfortable and the room has its own digital temp control so you can get a good nights sleep. Noise insulation is also good. Overall, the rooms are very pleasant and certainly one of the nicest (relative to cost) that I have recently stayed in.

As one reviewer also mentioned, the parking is not free and there are lots of signs referring to being clamped. Note that the car parking charge at receipt ion was also different to that displayed outside.

For a hotel close to the airport, I would certainly stay again based on the relative quality of the rooms, but for food and a more comfortable bar area, I would have to look to go elsewhere; perhaps a short walk to the Thistle across the road which I was later advised offers the best food of the hotels near the airport.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Polish first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

Found the food to be well below par. Only 4 main meals to choose from. 3 of which are repeated each night every night with one being changed each night, a special as such. Taste wise it was edible but quantity wise it was disgraceful. First night I was there I ordered fish and chips. That's pretty much all I got on my plate. An average sized bit of fish with a few chips but not many. All on a small wooden board. 2-3 hours later I'm hungry again. Second night I'm starving so I look at the menu for something filling and see the steak pie on there so order that believing, as you would that youre getting a good helping on its way to you. Out comes my steak pie which isn't much bigger than my iPhone, a dessert spoon sized scoop of what clearly is mash out of a packet. 2 of the smallest carrots ever. They looked very much the same sized as ones you can buy out of a tin. A few peas as well. On the same plate they sent out a small dish of gravy and by the time you remove the gravy dish and slide all your food over to one side you have half a plate of food there. This is not acceptable. I complained and was told that was the portion size and all i got was a free pudding which suprise suprise was tiny. The majority of this hotels clientele will be offshore workers, such as myself crew changing or up doing courses. How can you really have the cheek to put that food out in front of people and expect it to fill them for an evening. Very poor service. And don't even get me started on that pay for parking nonsense! If I'm staying in your hotel and my company is paying for me to stay there and use your facilities then that should include your car park. Just another way for people to drag as much money out of you as they possibly can.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
CourtyardManager1, Manager at Courtyard Aberdeen Airport, responded to this review, September 29, 2013
Dear guest, I'm sorry that your experience did not live up to expectations, due to portion sizes. We take on board your comments and will look to address them in future.
I do hope we can welcome you back in the near future
Glasgow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

Upon arrival in the car park, you are greeted with a forest of very intimidating warning of parking charges and the £100 penalty for not complying with the charges of up to £18 per day.

At the check-in, we had to wait about 15 minutes. Normally a hotel check-in only takes about 2 minute. This is a new record for us. However, the staff on the desk were very apologetic and courteous, even when asking for the non-advertised parking fee.

I would like to have given this hotel a Very Good or Excellent, but in looking over the reviews, it appears the slow check-in problem has been on-going since they opened some months ago and is still not resolved; or is that the way the propose to keep it going? I also appreciate that the hotel is near the airport and may have a problem with long term parked cars but there is no reason to use this as an excuse to exploit their own guests with charges that are not advertised. Being cunning and conniving with clients is not just poor customer service, but terrible business practise.

I don't plan on returning, even though there are some very nice facilities.

1 Thank KieranG
Dear traveler, please be aware that we charge our guests £5 per night for car parking, and provide 2 hours free parking for all other visitors to the hotel which is in line with other hotels at the airport. This is clearly stated on all signage, so I'm sorry if you felt mislead.
I'm also sorry you experienced a slow check-in but this is not the norm. As a new hotel, things can take a little longer than normal, but we have now ironed out all out teething problems
I'm sorry you feel this is a reason not to visit the hotel again
Regards
Lichfield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

As previous reviewers have noted, ideal location for the airport; the rooms are first class, apart from the sink in the bathroom. I challenge anyone to wash their face without getting water down themselves and the floor.

The bar/eating area is too small.

The food is of the standard you would expect from the cheapest pub food; frozen battered fish & chips, cold in the middle; individual frozen meat pies & mash. The breakfast buffet offers a good choice but includes only one choice of egg, scrambled, which is a strangely fluorescent orange colour.

Good fitness room and friendly efficient staff.

No complimentary bus to the terminal.

A good effort but not up to the standard I would expect from a Marriott.

Stayed September 2013
CourtyardManager1, Manager at Courtyard Aberdeen Airport, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear guest, thank you so much for your constructive review of our new hotel. We take on board your comment regarding food and beverage, and are working daily to improve our offering. To give you an example, we now source our steak pie from a local award winning butcher, and this is down to customer feedback.
Thank you again, and I do hope we can welcome you back in the near future
Happy traveling
malta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

Arrived on Friday 13th after a bad flight in from abroad so was in need of a good relaxing night before going offshore in the morning.When i arrived i was welcomed with a big smile and a warming" welcome to the courtyard sir ".The lady on reception took my details in double quick time (Had read on previous review up to 20 mins) then i was on my way to my room.The hotel is very clean,modern and comftable.I went down for some dinner and had a fantastic burger from the menu with a nice glass of Red and a wee creme caramel for desert.The waiting staff very friendly and helpful.Would recommend the hotel and will be returning again.Finally a big Thank you to receptionist Anna for being very helpful and cheery more hotels should have staff like her.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Antony H
Dear guest,
thank you so much for your review of our new hotel. I'm glad you had good stay with us, and that you found the Team friendly and helpful. Be assured I will be recognizing Anna for her wonderful hospitality.
Thanks again, and happy traveling
Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

The hotel is ideally situated very close to the airport. First the good news. The staff are very friendly and helpful and the room have all the amenities you come to expect, unless you like a bathtub as the rooms only have a shower. The rooms are spacious and clean. The bad news is the Bistro area where the bar and restaurant are located is insufficient to support the amount of rooms they have. The menu is very limited having only half a dozen options for the main course and the food could not be described as " a culinary delight" as the food is quite basic, burgers,fish & chips etc.. The bar has only two draft beers. Both being lager type beers. This is a real disappointment as there are no other bars and restaurants in the area unless you want to walk to the airport. If this could be improved it would be a great place to stay

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
CourtyardManager1, Manager at Courtyard Aberdeen Airport, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear Guest, thank you so much for your positive review of our new Hotel. I found it constructive and well thought out. We take on board your commets regarding our food and beverage, and we are looking at how we can improve our offering here. I do hope we can welcome you back to the hoel in the near future
Happy traveling!
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

As a new hotel in 2013, the Courtyard Marriott is clean, functional, well appointed, and convenient. Rooms lack tubs but have just about every other amenity. There is no formal restaurant on property..only a light-menu grill in the lobby bar. There are also very limited dining options in the area so I wouldn't recommend for long stays. Also, there is not a hotel shuttle to the airport and although the hotel is only a "brisk 10-minute walk" from the ticket counter, in Aberdeen this can be a drenching and cold ten minutes.... Better to call a cab and save the anguish of a long flight in wet clothes.

Room Tip: Elevators "talk" so better to have a room away from elevators if you prefer quiet.