“Tough if you're a vegetarian.”
Review of Jamie's Italian - CLOSED

Jamie's Italian
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: JAMIE’S ITALIAN Jamie’s Italian is a contemporary and informal restaurant with a menu that reflects Jamie Oliver’s passion for authentic Italian cooking, delivered with his own unique twist on classic recipes. Beautiful rustic dishes are created using carefully sourced, higher-welfare ingredients for the best flavour, but still at great value. This is a relaxed, affordable and accessible environment where the style, atmosphere and menu can be easily adapted to suit any occasion. KNOWN FOR Child friendly; great value, quick lunch; special occasions; group bookings, party planning.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Tough if you're a vegetarian.”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Visited for the first time today. Wasn't too impressed. I don't eat red meat but do eat fish and chicken, when I asked what I could have I was told the pasta norma or a risotto. I asked if I could have the cod but without the pancetta, the waitress was doubtful but did go to speak to the chef. I was then offered the cod with peas which I took. It was lovely and piping hot although the portion was very small. My friend had the salmon which again was well cooked but small in size. Fortunately I had gift vouchers as I would have grudged having to hand over cash for it.

1 Thank Liz T

• Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
UK
“Disappointing food”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I visited as part of a group of 10 people as my first trip to a Jamie's restaurant. We were allocated a table near the kitchen. I'd recommend asking for a table elsewhere due to the heat and also the noise from the kitchen.

I ordered baked chestnut mushrooms with bread to start and then a pasta dish for main course. The mushrooms were distinctly lacking in flavour, and the 'bread' they were baked with was almost like a crisp tortilla and was slightly burnt. The pasta was in a blue cheese sauce which was runny and flavourless, more like water than a sauce.

The portion sizes were quite small but our bill (including a drink each) was sizeable. There are far better restaurants in Aberdeen and I certainly wouldn't recommend Jamie's.

2 Thank JLH_abdn
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
“Service non-existent!”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

The waitress led us to our table and gave us a menu. Having chosen what we wanted to eat, we sat and waited for service, and waited, and waited and waited a bit more. The restaurant was more than half empty and there were waiting staff walking about and checking on customers, but for some reason noone came to us, despite us sitting there trying to get their attention without being rude and shouting at them. The waitress who had shown us to our table was also waiting on people near to us, so knew exactly how long we had been sat there but still never came to take our order. In the end, we were fed up and hungry so gave up and went somewhere else where they actually offered customer service. Funnily enough, it looked like one of the waiters finally noticed us as we got up and walked away but by that point we had had enough.

1 Thank wheretonext1979
Aberdeen
“Disappointing!”
Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

Visited Jamies Italian for lunch with my partner and left very disappointed. The waitress was very pleasant but the service was slow. We both had the tomato soup to start, lots of flavour, but served lukewarm, I prefer my soup piping hot. Unusually the bread was served in the soup but I'd have preferred it served on the side. After a considerable wait our main courses arrived.... Except it wasn't the dish I ordered. Instead of the pork belly, I was served a pork chop with (uncrispy)crackling , and some raw celeriac. They did offer the change it for the correct meal but that would have meant my partner would have been finished his meal and I'd still be eating. At my request they gave me some potatoes which were included in the meal I ordered. Unfortunately the potatoes were soggy and had been cooked with far too much garlic making them inedible (I like garlic but this was ridiculous). My partner had the burger which looked fab, but disappointingly tasted bland and dry. We were not charged for my main course which was understandable but still unlikely we'll return.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank A1ireview
Bangkok, Thailand
“Food: average. Service: appalling”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

I love Jamie Oliver's cookbooks and TV shows, so I was very much looking forward to his restaurant chain opening up in Aberdeen. Unfortunately, it just has the air of a poorly run franchise. I felt so sorry for the waitress who was serving us, as she clearly wasn't being updated on what was available and what they were no longer serving.

It took absolutely ages for us to get our pasta dishes, and we ordered our desserts, only for the waitress to come back and tell us that they had not made it for that day - weird!

I hope that whoever's in charge doesn't think that they can simply coast along on Jamie Oliver's name and not have to worry about service, because they probably won't last long if that's the case.

• Visited July 2013