“Excellent meal”

Yatai Izakaya
Ranked #44 of 671 Restaurants in Aberdeen
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian, Grill
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Yatai Izakaya is an intimate local eatery with a casual atmosphere, modern Japanese food that practices traditional technique while utilizing the best ingredients that Aberdeenshire has to offer. As a small independent restaurant, we have honed traditional methods over the past ten years to create our own unique take on Japanese cuisine. Our staff are passionate and knowledgeable and inspired by Japanese culture and ingredients as well as locally available and seasonal ingredients.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Excellent meal”
Reviewed March 28, 2014

I don't normally write more than one review of a restaurant, but after having dinner last night with my partner I felt compelled to share my experience. The main thing that stood out is the standard of the dishes. Last time we went to Yatai was November 2012 and the food was great then, however you can really see how the head chef has matured over the years with more experience and the evidence is in the taste and execution of their dishes. We've been going to Yatai since it was located on Skene street a number of years back and it has been great to see how the establishment has progressed over the years.

Three dishes I would like to recommend. First, the lemon sole tampura. Lovely. Fish was so well cooked and the batter on the outside was light and crisp. Its served with battered crispy skin which adds great texture to the dish and the sauce is nice and tangy too. Second is the seaweed salad. A must side plate with fried tofu in a light batter. Be warned it is quite a substantial dish! And the best for last... the tai shio, salt grilled sea bream, ginger salsa. So good we had to get a second plate of this. The fish was cooked perfectly over the Japanese grill and the skin crisp. The ginger salsa balances the salt in the fish and leaves you with a lovely taste in your mouth.

If I had to give some constructive criticism, I would say it would be interesting to see a more developed Japanese cocktail menu. I've never been to Japan and not familiar with their culture in great detail, so not sure if there even is a variety of Japanese cocktails. But if there is that would be great :) However the fruit punch cocktail that they serve is good though.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Foodgoorou

Scotland and West Mids
“Japanese in Aberdeen - Makes Sense”
Reviewed March 26, 2014 via mobile

My wife surprised me for my birthday and took me to this wonderful restaurant.

In one word "amazing"!

The meal took me back to trips I previously had to Japan. I was blown away with the different flavours and the experience was to die for.

The ethos at the restaurant is a Japanese Tapas style. Small dishes but they soon add up and certainly filling. We had some fantastic flavours and would love to visit again soon.

Tables are a premium as this place is in demand and several people had to be turned away politely as the restaurant was full. My wife book in advance for our table.

No mince and tatties or Aberdeen Buttieries can be found here.

Definitely a place to visit. Keep up the good work....

Visited March 2014
Aberdeenshire
“Amazing food and a great vibe - Aberdeen's best.”
Reviewed March 25, 2014

It was many years since i had been to Yatai. I certainly enjoyed it all those years ago but now in a new location (to me), it has upped its game further and was simply superb. Aside from Sushi, I'm not an expert on Japanese cuisine so our party six opted for the option where the chef decides what you get and it just keeps coming! My only stipulation was that it had to include soft shell crab which I did remember from my previous visit.
It was lovely to be served by a Japanese waitress (at University in Aberdeen) who explained some of the dishes, was charming and always had a smile on her face.
The food was absolutely superb. I can't remember the name of any of it as we did consume copious amounts of wine (we hadn't seen each other for a long time!) but it was bursting with flavour and it was a really great combination of hot and cold dishes. Can't wait to return. Casual dining at its best.
I liked being seated upstairs and watching Aberdeen's nightlife unfold.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank foxxylizzy
Aberdeen
“Ribs”
Reviewed March 21, 2014

Been in for lunch a couple of times. The Rib Donburi looks impressive and the specials are interesting, imaginitive and well presented. I think the dishes I tried just lacked a little je ne sais quoi and maybe were a little fatty, but there's plenty of other stuff on the menu I'd like to give a go, particularly the skewers and robata choices. The place is small, rustic and pleasant and the service good. Black Asahi is available, which is a bonus!

• Visited February 2014
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Fab Meal”
Reviewed March 20, 2014 via mobile

My work colleague and I went there for dinner this evening and had a really wonderful meal, we had the chef's selection and told our waitress we wanted to spend £25 ahead, it didn't disappoint we received 5 dishes, the pork belly skewers were wonderful as was the king prawn tempura. The service was exceptional and our lovely waitress really took the time to go through everything with us! Not often in Aberdeen but if I'm back again I know where I'll go!