“Good looking apartments, but scartch the surface and it reveals it is not so great”

The Spires Serviced Apartments
Reviewed June 20, 2012

Checked in on a Fri late nite. Was travelling with family (incl one year old). The 24 hr on duty manager on the phone managed to 'Misguide" us at 1130 in the nite. We lost our way and were walking the streets with the little one looking for the apartment. We were visiting Aberdeen as a tourist. As our son fell sick, we stayed in the apartment for all the 3 days. We were meant to check out on Tue morning, our train was only at 6 in the evening. As our son was just recovering from his fever, we requested a late check out of 2PM/3PM (there policy indicates it is 10AM). They were quite inflexible and said the best they can do is 12PM, else we have to pay an extra nites charge (GBP 120).
The flat in itself looks clean. But you can see the dining table had worn out considerably, the fixtures were feeling the wear and tear. There were no pots and pans to cook in. Upon request they delievered some pots, but said the woks have been ordered and not in stock. I guess I would have been more tolerant of all this, if the service had been a bit more accommodating.
All in all, I would not go back. I felt I was paying considerable money for an average experience.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank DutchChennai
TheSpiresManagement, Public Relations Manager at The Spires Serviced Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2012

Dear DutchChennai, thank you for taking the time to review The Spires Aberdeen. I was extemley disapointed to hear that the duty manager appeared to 'misguide' you during exress check in and I can only apologise if this is the case. I would like to point out that detailed instructions for express check in and locating apartments is sent our with the booking confirmation at the time reservations are made. Since this incident we have invested in detailed site maps that are provided to all guests who use the express check in to help with navigating the site, an intorduction that is proving very successful. On the day of departure a late check out of noon was offered free of charge, when the 3pm check out was requested it was expalianed that as this was after check in time of 2pm we would have to charge a full nights accomodation as per out terms and conditions. All apartment inventories are checked for new arrivals to ensure everything is in place and I can only apologise that there were pots missing from the kitchen. I am please that this was rectified on request. Since your stay in June we have strted a planned schedule of rennovation to the apartments which includes new dining furniture and replacing the tired fixtures within the apartments. Finally I would like to thank you once again for providing feedback of your stay at The Spires Aberdeen as it is through guest feedback we can improve upon the service offered to our guests.

There are newer reviews for The Spires Serviced Apartments

Reviewed March 5, 2012

I have stayed here before just as they were starting an upgrade to all apartments.

The reception area is really easy to find as is staffed by very pleasant and welcoming staff.

I had booked a one bedroom apartment but was given a two bed, very spacious it was too. There was a double bed in one room and twin beds in the other. The main bedroom had en suite and the main bathroom had the same inder floor heating as the en suite, switch on kick back and relax.

The upgrade work has been done to a high standard, the apartment was well fitted out with a kitchen table that could seat four.

The lounge was spacious with a tv and dvd in one corner, all fre view channels were available. DVD films could be obtained through the reception or take your own.

The location is a good 20 minute walk into the centre of Aberdeen although there are shops and eating places around the local area.

I would recommend for a single person and also for a family, the evening was very quiet inside the apartmenmt block and the main road running past.

Room Tip: The goodie box is chargable so take your own nibbles and sweets etc
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank JudgeCludge
Reviewed February 29, 2012

stayed here just overnight , excellent !!!
upgraded on arrival ,clean well equipped flats , already planning another trip ..highly recommended

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lorrie101
Reviewed January 6, 2012

We stayed for 2 nights whilst visiting family - just down the road! Very comfortable stay, with high standards of cleanliness and modern facilities. We didn't need to use the kitchen, but it is very well equipped. Loved the underfloor heating in the bathroom! Would definitely stay here again and would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Despite being on a main road the apartment was very quiet.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Tracey A
Reviewed December 19, 2011

Family of four, stayed in two bed apartment for one week. Clean, comfortable and very well equipped. WiFi enabled too. Property is right next to bus stop going into town and is within 100 metres of chemist, cafe and two good supermarkets. Plenty of parking. Only criticism is that double bed is rather narrow. Will recommend to friends.

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank LizzeeBlack
Reviewed December 16, 2011

I stayed in one of the 1 bedroom appartments for just over 1 months as I was relocating jobs. I found the appartments to be very cleaned and well maintained. There are modern kitchen and bathroom facilities.

I found the flats to be a cross between self catering accomodation and a hotel. The flat was properly cleaned at least once a week.

Regular busses to the city centre (trip takes 10 mins) and easy access to the arterial A90 or the Highlands. Nearby shops and a handy fish and chip shop which I must admit I visited all too regulary during my stay !

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Stephen T
Reviewed November 12, 2011

I always stay in the Spires apartments when I am in Aberdeen partly because it accepts small dogs (the only apartments in Aberdeen that are dog-friendly) and partly because they are lovely apartments; so spacious, well maintained and always clean (cleaners come in every day) and I always get a two bedroom apartment. It may be 2/3 miles from Union Street but this is to the benefit of these apartments, certainly not to the detriment. There is always ample parking and contractors were brought in last year to clear the car park of the heavy snow. The location of these apartments is in an excellent area,, on the main bus route with absolutely no street noise. The reception staff are very helpful and informative.
Would not dream of going anywhere else in Aberdeen.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business