“Worst Hostel ever. Avoid it!”

Aberdeen Youth Hostel
Reviewed June 2, 2014

This hostel charged me and my friends 25 pounds per night without: breakfast, WI-FI (that they said it was "temporary" offline) and with ONE SOCKET in a 14 bed room! Additionally, the bathrooms where beyond dirty and the entire hostel smelled very bad! Awful experience even if it was only for 1 night. My advice: Pay more money and search for another accommodation, this one is to bad..

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank gmreymao
SYHAHostelling, Northern Hostel Services Manager at Aberdeen Youth Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review following your stay. Our prices are clearly advertised on all sales channels. Supplements such as breakfast and Wi-Fi are charged separately and this is clearly stated. We are in the process of upgrading the number of sockets available in our rooms. In the meantime our friendly staff would be more than happy to charge appliances for you in the security of our reception. I am sorry your felt the hostel was dirty and smelly; I can only assure you that the hostel rooms, bathroom s and public areas are cleaned daily to a very high standard.

Kind regards

Reviewed June 1, 2014 via mobile

As others have observed, this hostel is quite pricey for th quality provided.
Th provision of one shower and one toilet between three or so rooms seemed illogical and the infrequent cleaners presence in the bathroom was noticed. Went a few days without paper towel and a pad wrapper Sat on th floor for more than a day.
You need to "refresh" your access card daily which is a nuisance. Oh and the wi fi was down for th duration of my stay, which also seems a common occurance.
But as far as accommodation in Aberdeen goes that's your only budget option. The staff weren't overly friendly, no huge positives.
A bed to lie in , and a place to shower when it's free.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Kitty2402

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Aberdeen Youth Hostel. The price of our private rooms start from as low £60 for a twin room, this offers a competitively priced room in the expensive accommodation market of Aberdeen. Our bathrooms are thoroughly cleaned daily and re-checked frequently. There is heavy usage of the shared bathrooms and unfortunately they cannot be checked after each use, we rely on guests to leave them as clean and tidy as possible. Access cards are refreshed daily for added security, as alongside our private rooms we also off dormitory accommodation with multiple guests. Your card only take a couple moments to be re-activated.

Regards

Reviewed May 23, 2014

We stayed here two nights. The kitchen (like a commercial kitchen!) with plenty of shelves to store your food, lounge and TV room were clean and tidy and spacious. In a room with 7 beds, the first night there was only 2 of us, so got a good night's sleep. Showers and bathrooms are clean and hot water - didn't have any issues. Good security (card to get room access). No free wifi unfortunately, but you can't have everything. There are no mixed rooms, so me and my friend had to sleep in different rooms. Friendly staff and all the people staying there were friendly and helpful too. It is a bit of walk to the main centre, but there was a supermarket around the corner.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your review, we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon,

Reviewed May 11, 2014

Whether you are on holiday or on business this is an excellent place to stay and, unlike pretty much anywhere in a 50 mile radius, affordable! I mostly stayed in a single room - and on more than one occasion, to my sheer delight, had my own en-suite toilet and shower. 20 minutes walk takes you to the heart of the city - and there is a bus stop outside and regular buses. Everyone on reception was friendly and helpful and the lovely manager managed to jiggle things about to accommodate me when I had to book at the last minute and didn't fancy sharing a room - although the couple of nights that I did, it was actually not too bad. As it is a hostel, obviously the in-room facilities were limited but that is to be expected.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hostel and for your comments. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon,

Reviewed March 19, 2014

Hotel prices in Aberdeen are crazy expensive. The youth hostel is the only place in the city where you get really good value for money. I recommend paying a little extra for a private room, which is modern and clean. Sound proofing could be better, but its location is good (20 min walk to Union Street) and the facilities are great.

Room Tip: private rooms!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, it is our aim to provide clean, comfortable accomodation an affordable price, I am delighted you chose to stay with us and hope to be able to welcome you back soon,

Reviewed January 28, 2014

Upon arriving at the Aberdeen Youth Hostel I was met with an aesthetically pleasing exterior. The receptionist paid little attention but eventually I was able to check in. My room was clean and tidy, but unfortunately there was only one power point between 5 people. At this point I decided to evacuate my bowels. To my dismay the one toilet was shared between three rooms of gentleman and was in use. At this point I realised that the same ratio applied to the shower but luckily there were four sinks. When I finally satisfied my urges I braved the shower which fluctuated between Satan's oven and my ex-girlfriends icy stare of discontent. When trying to adjust the temperature you were met with a rapid succession of these sensations until you are forced, burnt and freezing to give up. By now I knew the perfect way to perk me up, I could use their tv room with computers to check my Facebook and book some more of my journey. Alas the Internet was down. So as you can imagine by now I'm wondering what my £25 is for. I concocting images of luxurious breakfasts with bacon in my mind, mouth watering I enquire about how one would break ones fast only to be told I wouldn't be even getting water. So I packed my bags, phone battery flat, burnt, not properly showered, busting to go to the bathroom, without any plans and hungry. As I trudged down the road for 20 minutes to reach any form of civilisation I stopped and pondered... Where the hell did my £25 go?

• Stayed: January 2014
8  Thank LDWS258
Reviewed January 3, 2014

The hostel is situated in a nice old Aberdeen house. But that's pretty much all there is to say for it. Do not expect any kind of luxury or beyond-basic amnesties. I stayed there for two transit nights during a trip to Scotland and picked the hostel because it was the cheapest option at the time of booking. It reminded me of what youth hostels used to be like also in Germany in the past; plain rooms, shared bath with lower-than-you-wish-for hygiene. There's also no breakfast included so you have to add that to the price.
While you can reach Union Street in 10-15min walking, I would still not say the location is particularly good. It seems that Aberdeen is so small that most accommodation would be close to the center, making the youth hostel rather remote. The only eating place in the vicinity that I made out was a rather posh looking restaurant on the other side of the street.
Parking is another issue. They have something around 3-4 lots and when those are taken (as they were when I was there) you are left with parking in the street, which is only free from 10pm to 8am or so (and may actually be illegal during the day).
So, I would only recommend this hostel as a sort of last resort, if other options are too expensive.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank David_at_large
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aberdeen
Soprano Hostels
Ibis Aberdeen Centre
Ibis Aberdeen Centre
#15 of 65 in Aberdeen
The Aberdeen Altens Hotel

Been to Aberdeen Youth Hostel? Share your experiences!