“I paid £25 for what?”

Aberdeen Youth Hostel
Wollongong, Australia
“I paid £25 for what?”
Reviewed January 28, 2014

Upon arriving at the Aberdeen Youth Hostel I was met with an aesthetically pleasing exterior. The receptionist paid little attention but eventually I was able to check in. My room was clean and tidy, but unfortunately there was only one power point between 5 people. At this point I decided to evacuate my bowels. To my dismay the one toilet was shared between three rooms of gentleman and was in use. At this point I realised that the same ratio applied to the shower but luckily there were four sinks. When I finally satisfied my urges I braved the shower which fluctuated between Satan's oven and my ex-girlfriends icy stare of discontent. When trying to adjust the temperature you were met with a rapid succession of these sensations until you are forced, burnt and freezing to give up. By now I knew the perfect way to perk me up, I could use their tv room with computers to check my Facebook and book some more of my journey. Alas the Internet was down. So as you can imagine by now I'm wondering what my £25 is for. I concocting images of luxurious breakfasts with bacon in my mind, mouth watering I enquire about how one would break ones fast only to be told I wouldn't be even getting water. So I packed my bags, phone battery flat, burnt, not properly showered, busting to go to the bathroom, without any plans and hungry. As I trudged down the road for 20 minutes to reach any form of civilisation I stopped and pondered... Where the hell did my £25 go?

• Stayed January 2014
8 Thank LDWS258

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed January 3, 2014

The hostel is situated in a nice old Aberdeen house. But that's pretty much all there is to say for it. Do not expect any kind of luxury or beyond-basic amnesties. I stayed there for two transit nights during a trip to Scotland and picked the hostel because it was the cheapest option at the time of booking. It reminded me of what youth hostels used to be like also in Germany in the past; plain rooms, shared bath with lower-than-you-wish-for hygiene. There's also no breakfast included so you have to add that to the price.
While you can reach Union Street in 10-15min walking, I would still not say the location is particularly good. It seems that Aberdeen is so small that most accommodation would be close to the center, making the youth hostel rather remote. The only eating place in the vicinity that I made out was a rather posh looking restaurant on the other side of the street.
Parking is another issue. They have something around 3-4 lots and when those are taken (as they were when I was there) you are left with parking in the street, which is only free from 10pm to 8am or so (and may actually be illegal during the day).
So, I would only recommend this hostel as a sort of last resort, if other options are too expensive.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank David_at_large
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
Reviewed December 15, 2013

My first experience ever to stay at a hostel . It was worth every penny spent . Came in late in the evening , and just crashed . the beds were clean and rooms were very spacious . bus stop right next to the hostel . A day pass was enuf to travel all over the old town . Very helpful people . There are charging points in the room for cell phones , which is good . safety is worth talking about . people are very friendly . nothing right next door to eat . though eataries are just a few blocks away . overall a decent place to stay .

Room Tip: Ample parking space , huge dining and kitchen .. wifi may be a bit slow ..
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed August 18, 2013

The good - booked a spacious private room for 3 ppl, great ventilated space (other hostels were quite stuffy at night), washrooms and showers were very clean (my friends said they always had to have cold showers but my shower was a good temperate), we had a car so it was quite easy to get around from there, great walking distances to grocery stores and bars, overall just a GREAT place.

The bad - had to pay for internet use.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 17, 2013

It's the only hostel in and around aberdeen and if you don't want to pay rather high prices of hotels in the area there is only one choice.

I was on a training course and wanted to keep my costs low so I chose shared accommodation.

There were others from my course staying here and as it often happens that people who the course stay at the hostel the staff try and put us all together. This was really helpful as we were able to meet each other, carpool, and we had the same schedule so got up in the morning (6:30) at the same time.

We started calling this place the Barracks.

The public areas were good. big kitchen, big dining room, nice "quiet" room, big TV room.

The cost of internet is ok I suppose: £1 for 20 mins as it keeps the broadband from getting clogged up with users. I used the internet at local cafes and bars. All other hostels i've been in have had free wifi but this is the UK and normal travel habits don't apply here.

I took ear plugs. Take ear plugs! They saved my nights!! Every night there was a snorer! The first night some one had sneaked a jumbo jet engine in!

Call me a princess but I found the beds quite hard and I think that added to my poor nights sleep.

The showers are ok if you find the good ones. there are a few that turn to a little dribble when the shower next door is being used. that was annoying. The mens big shower room was the one I used in the end and it was decent.

A mark against the hostel would be that I was moved rooms on my last night but wasn't told until I inquired about staying a few extra days.

Location: it's a fair old walk into town but quite a pleasant one. I had my bicycle so it only took a few minutes and there is the number 17 bus which goes into town and stops right outside the hostel. Aberdeen itself is a nice town and everything felt close. Nights out are good.

The kind of people that use this place are people on training courses, rig workers, people new to aberdeen looking for somewhere to live, travellers, and the occasional right weirdo!

I'd stay here again if needs must.

Room Tip: private or bring earplugs for a good nights sleep
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank jon k
Coffs Harbour, Australia
Reviewed August 2, 2013

My husband and I checked into the YHA after booking a private room. We had twin beds in the room which was a nice change from the usual bunk beds. The room was quite spacious and although we were travelling with a lot of luggage we had no problems getting it out of the way.
Checking in was a speedy process and the lady at reception was very efficient.
The hostel has good security too, but the down side is that you always need to carry your room card with you to get into the different sections of the hostel (but I know what I would rather).
We were up on about the 3rd floor and I couldn't see any lifts. There were plenty of bathroom facilities and the hostel has great energy saving schemes in place. One that I think was a good idea but something that I didn't really like was that the water for the shower was on a timer. Of course you could restart the shower, I just am more of a traditionalist and I like to dictate when my shower is finished. Still it was such a minor detail to our lovely stay that I can easily overlook this factor.
We didn't use any of the kitchen, dining or lounge facilities so cannot comment on this part of the hostel, however they all looked clean and well organised.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CestLeVie
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I had an interview in Aberdeen, and I couldn't find a cheaper place to stay. So, I choose AYH. I slept in a dorm with other 19 people. I slept three hours and everything was fine until the guy next to me start snoring. Oh God! The staff is good. The bathrooms ,shower and kitchen are fair.
The rooms are a bit noisy. It's a bit far from the city center.
I would recommend this hostel if you are having a trip and you can sleep despite of the noises.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Aberdeen hotels