“xmas at thistle rubbish”

The Aberdeen Altens Hotel
Ranked #7 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed December 5, 2012

was at thistle altens on tues 4th dec with a group of approx 70 disabled people The place was absolutely freezing So bad everyone had to keep coats on and as there was 12 at table instead of 10 made it very uncomfortable xmas meal was medi ochre and could have been quite a bit warmer I dont drink tea or coffee so asked for hot water 4 times before i got it consider it best bit of meal as at least it was hot Today was at ABERDEEN COLLEGE for meal made by catering students Far superior and half the price wake up THISTLE you are in a competitive industery OUr group has gone their for years but hope committee has a few stern words to say

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank joanie81
Thistlehotels, General Manager at The Aberdeen Altens Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2013

Dear joanie81,

Thank you for your honest feeback, I was naturally disappointed to hear you did not enjoy the evening, especially as the organsier of the event has told us "everything was great, as always". Still its never good to know anyone left the hotel feeling less than satisfied, so please accept my personal apologies if the hotel failed to meet your expectations.

The heating was set to 32 degrees which is the maximum setting, we actually received a couple of complaints from other guests at the event saying the room was too warm so I can only apologise if it was not to your liking.

There was only one table of 12, the rest were tables of 10, and the tables were set up as per the organisers request. There were only around 60 guests at the event and the ballroom can hold up to 240 guests so if you required more space it would not have been an issue.

I hope you do choose the hotel again in the future so we may have the chance to restore your faith us

I hope you have a Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year!

Reviewed December 4, 2012

Husband and myself stayed for two nights bed and breakfast in a deluxe room. Room was clean and modern,big enough but not as big as some executive rooms we have stayed in other hotels.Plenty of wardrobe space,plenty tea and coffee etc and nice toiletries. Flat screen tv with plenty tv and radio channels. Room not very well lit for ladies doing hair and make up. hotel was nicely decorated and had lovely Xmas decorations and as it was snowing,it was very xmassy.The swimming pool and spa area certainly needs a revamp. Very good breakfast,everything you could want and nice breakfast area with soft music playing.didnt eat any meals at the hotel as the prices were far too high as I suspect the bar prices would have been going by the wine list.The hotel has plenty of parking but unfortunately was even more out of the town than we had originally thought.Probably will not stay again because of this.It would be different if the price of the rooms and the food was slightly cheaper. All in all, I did like the hotel,but there are better and better value.

Stayed: December 2012
Thistlehotels, Manager at The Aberdeen Altens Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2013

Dear looplynne1,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, I was delighted to hear you and your husband found the room clean and modern and approved of the amenities we provide.

As previous reviewers have mentioned, we do have bigger rooms if you require more space. We have 34 Executive Double Double rooms which are among the largest hotel rooms in Aberdeen!

I note that despite all the positives you mentioned you only rated the hotel 3 out of 5 which is a little disappointing but I hope if you choose to stay with us again we can improve on this and make your next review 5 out of 5!

Reviewed December 4, 2012

Hotel was comfortable and was clean however was told by one member of staff on reception that he would process a free nights stay through being a member of their signature club. When it came to Sunday I had been locked out my room and told I could not stay unless I paid apparently "I needed a voucher to take advantage of this offer". This information was not shared with me when I inquired about more information and asked to go ahead with the offer. Therefore it was a case of pay-up for another night or leave. Luckily I was traveling by car and able to head home a day earlier than I expected rather than fork out for their mistake.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jen16jay

Dear jen16jay,

Thank you for providing your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I have already emailed you directly.

When you signed up to our Loyalty Scheme you agreed to the terms and conditions, these stipulate the Free Sunday Night staff can only be redeemed with a voucher (which acts as payment) which will be sent to you via our Loyalty Team. Once you have this voucher you need to contact the Loyalty team directly as only they can book it, it cannot be booked at the hotel.

This information was shared with you as it is stated in our terms and conditions which you signed to say you had read and agreed to. I'm sorry the staff could not accommodate your request but they have to follow company policy.

The hotel system automatically cancels room key cards at 12 noon as this is check out time, otherwise guests who previously stayed in that room would be able to enter your room. You were not locked out the system simply cancelled the key, as it does with all departure rooms. Sorry if you thought this had been intentional, it's just a security measure.

Reviewed December 3, 2012

We arrived at the Thistle after a long 20+ hour traveling time from Australia. We were both exhausted and looking forward to a hot shower and comfy bed!
However.....after a harassed and less than friendly receptionist checked us in, we went to our room to find 2 single beds in a poky little room!
So back to reception we went - requesting a double bed! After some delays and being treated like we were being unreasonable, we were given our new room. ( we are a married couple - so don't think it's unreasonable to want a double bed!)
The new room was nicer....but still nothing like the hotel website pictures. Room needed a good clean ( hair in the bathtub and mould in the soap holder)
The follow day (and a staff change) we started to change our opinion. Breakfast was fantastic....wait staff were really friendly.
The gym was well equipped and the bar was great.
The hotel is not close to anything....so a taxi is needed to go anywhere (about 10 pound to get into the city)
Probably wouldn't stay there again - based on location. Service is very much dependent on which staff member you see! But having not visited Aberdeen before, im not sure what the other hotels are like!

Room Tip: We had friends stay on another floor and their room was completely renovated! So maybe when booking...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Tamara C,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I was sorry to hear you encountered issues with your room but having checked your booking on our system it does state a standard twin room which is why it was allocated to you. I'm pleased to hear the reception team upgraded you to make sure you were comfortable.

The hotel is 3 miles from the city centre which is advised on our website and it is because of this location we are able to offer free parking, health club and swimming pool, which you won't find in the city centre hotels.

Thanks for the feedback, and hopefully we'll get to welcome you back again

Reviewed November 27, 2012 via mobile

Very expensive room, small and pokey, definitely not an Executive room as booked. Cost £235 for single occupancy room only.

The hotel was full of oil workers presumably on deals so the bar was noisy like a pub.

Taxi required to visit town for dinner, so count on £10 each way.

Not recommened.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank mjw44

Dear mjw44,

Thank you for your feedback, I was sorry to hear that you did not fully enjoy your stay with us.

I would really appreciate the opportunity to restore your faith in the hotel and the Thistle brand. Please contact me directly should you plan another trip to Aberdeen and I will personally oversee your arrangements to ensure you have an enjoyable stay with us.

Reviewed November 24, 2012

Great service from the minute I walked into the hotel. Reception team friendly and helped with any questions I had as it was my first time in Aberdeen, food was of a good standard, and lots to choose from. Would stay again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Thistlehotels, General Manager at The Aberdeen Altens Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2012

Dear Lauren M,

Thanks for the great review! I was delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I will ensure your comments are passed to the team and we all hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed November 17, 2012

We chose this hotel only because other hotels of that category in Aberdeen at that time were twice as expensive. We did not regret it!!

(+) nicely renovated
(+) free upgrade to executive suite which was enormous
(+) clean
(+) great choice of meals, although a bit pricey
(+) check-out took less than 20 seconds

(-) outside could do with a lick of paint
(-) you need a car to get around
(-) roomservice meals were only lukewarm

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear sneeuwballetje,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I was pleased to see you enjoyed your room and approve of the renovations we have made.

I have noted your comments regarding room service and will follow up with the team.

Myself and the team look forward to seeing you again, next time you are in Aberdeen