“Value for money.”

The Aberdeen Altens Hotel
Ranked #7 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed December 9, 2011

Young girl at reception when asked for a room near the lift for my 80 year old mother was quite put out by our request as room had already been allocated.
This was our only complaint. Rest of staff were great as were the huge rooms.
Breakfast great

• Stayed: November 2011
Thistlehotels, Manager at The Aberdeen Altens Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2012

Dear Nurses 5255,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Thistle Aberdeen Altens and for taking the time to review the hotel! I was pleased to see that generally you enjoyed your stay with us and found most of the staff to be friendly but I was saddened to hear how your request for a room near the lift was handled. Please accept my apologies and I assure you I will be following up on this.

I hope we get to welcome you back to the hotel in 2012

Thanks

Reviewed December 5, 2011

We were checked in by a charming and well informed receptionist for our week-end stay on Friday afternoon and were told that we had been given an upgrade which cheered us up after the long journey. The 1st floor room was spacious and well appointed with a separate sitting area and the usual facilities one has come to expect from a hotel of this standing were in place. The view was disappointing but one can’t have everything!
We went to the bar to grab a bite to eat and we found the waiter a bit strange. When my husband asked what the specials were, he looked amazed and asked my husband why he wanted to know! We ordered our food and mine was a quinoa and spinach salad which came without two of the key ingredients. We got this resolved but again there was a shortage of courtesy on display. The place was very quiet with only one other table occupied.
We returned to the room and set about getting ready for the evening. When we used the shower, we realised that the towels were grubby but most of all unacceptably stained. We asked for these to be replaced and within a short space of time, they were by an embarrassed Manager who offered a perfunctory apology.
The following day, all was well again until we came to use the towels. They were unpleasantly stained and once again we had to ask for a replacement. The staff were not meaningfully apologetic, leading us to the conclusion that his is a common complaint for them to deal with.
We were delighted to get the room for the rate we did, however there is one thing which must never suffer no matter how much you pay and that is CLEANLINESS. We know how hotels function but it is paramount to have a reliable laundry service and to carry out checks to ensure standards are maintained.
As compensation, the Management deducted the cost of lunch form our bill, however on reflection that was inadequate for the frustration and disgust we experienced.
Please take note Thistle Altens Aberdeen. I am writing this to be helpful to others because had I read this report before we booked our room, we would not have been your guests last week-end.

Room Tip: Ask reception about the lookout and location of the room viz a viz the lift and vending machines.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
186338Thistle, Manager at The Aberdeen Altens Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2011

Dear MilaTMiddleton,

Thank you for the review, I appreciate the detailed feedback regarding your recent stay with us; obviously I am extremely disappointed to hear of the issues you encountered.

I was pleased to read of the positives you noted and that generally you found the hotel to be good accommodation. I’m confident the issue with the towels is a one off, confined to one delivery as we have not had these problems before but obviously that does not justify it and I will be raising the issue with our laundry supplier. You are right that our own internal checks should have picked up these defects and I will be following up with refresher training with our housekeeping department to ensure they take more time and care to check the towels.

Thanks again for the feedback, we will take it and use it to create positive actions.

Reviewed December 4, 2011

Very expensive. Food not particularly nice room average. Charges for internet wifi use. Not at all worth the money. This Hotel is obviously there just to rip off money from the oil industry (same as most Aberdeen hotels), but this one has to be the worst out of all of them. The reception girls and the evening restrurant girls where lovely and friendly. But there are charges for everything. If you can avoid then do so.

Dear johndunn5707,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel and share your feedback. I was really quite disappointed to read you didn’t enjoy your stay with us. I would be grateful if you could take the time to contact me to discuss your issues further so I can get some more details and follow up accordingly.

At Thistle Altens we have invested over £4 million refurbishing bedrooms and improving the hotel and in a few weeks we commence a new phase of refurbishment, so it’s upsetting to think despite this investment you feel we are out to “rip off money”. If that was the case we wouldn’t be investing such a large amount during the current economic climate. We constantly benchmark ourselves against the other hotels in Aberdeen and it shows we are competitive in comparison. We also offer a full best price promise on our website which guarantees to match any other rate you may find for the hotel.

I was pleased to read you found the staff “lovely and friendly”, I will pass this feedback to the team.

I hope we get the chance to welcome you back to the hotel in the future and restore your faith in Thistle Aberdeen Altens.

Reviewed November 27, 2011

Situated in the heartland oil company offices in Aberdeen, The Thistle act’s as a series of conference rooms. Although clean and well presented, for a 4 star hotel is was pretty basic.
The food was nothing to rave about, but oil works are not noted for their culinary tastes. There are better hotels in Aberdeen just this one is ideally placed for the offices.

Dear postnote,

Thanks for taking the time to review the hotel, I was sorry to read the hotel failed to meet your expectations on this occasion but glad you found the hotel to be clean and well presented.
I hope you choose to stay with us again in the future so that we can change your opinion and show the high standards that we strive to achieve.

Reviewed November 23, 2011

I have stayed here a few times on business trips to Aberdeen. The hotel is used almost exclusively by oil workers - either going offshore or attending courses / meetings in the nearby industrial estate. The hotel has been refurbished and the rooms and lounge areas are now very well furnished and comfortable.. The food in the bar is of of good bar meal standard - no complaints. Breakfast can be a bit of a rammy - every guest seems to arrive at once and their is a bit of a queue to be seated and to get to the buffet. Food quality is pretty good though.

I would happily recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the south side of Aberdeen on business. If you are going to a venue which is North of the river the traffic is horrendous.

Room Tip: Further away fro m the lift means a longer walk but less traffic past your door at 6am
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business

Dear royvmax,

Thank you for your review and for choosing to stay at Thistle Altens again, we appreciate that you choose to come back and stay with us.

I was pleased to read you think we are a good business hotel and that your stay with us was a good one. The hotel during the week is used by corporate guests but at the weekend our leisure guests comment how quiet and relaxing the hotel is, as previous reviews highlight. Should you choose to try the hotel at a weekend in the future you might be pleasantly surprised.

Thank you for highlighting the positives of your stay and I am pleased to see you recommend the hotel to business guests.

I hope we see you at the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed November 12, 2011

stayed here on the 9 th and 10 th as i was on a course at petrofac , so the company i work for booked me in here.
I was put into a large kingsize room and it was very nice and comfy.The breakfast was great as well , and i was seated quickly and not left standing waiting.
Only thing that let it down was the £6 for an hour or £10 for 24 hours internet access. I stayed in a hotel in montrose the three previous days and wi-fi was free.
But this apart , very nice and clean hotel , will be back sometime with the wife in near future.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
186338Thistle, Manager at The Aberdeen Altens Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2011

Dear voddy g,

Thanks for the review, I was pleased to read you had an enjoyable stay with us.

We are in the process of reviewing our wifi offering and due to contractual obligations there is a small charge. We will soon be launching our loyalty programme Signature which will be available across all Thistle hotels, and one of the rewards offered under this scheme is free wifi access.

Thanks again for your feedback and taking the time to review the hotel.

Reviewed November 12, 2011

this was the 1st time me and my wife had visited this hotel we stayed from monday 7th november to friday 11th november the room we got was very nice the breakfast was average the hotel is mostly full of guys either coming off shore from the rigs or there for training courses and we were woking up every morning about 6am with the banging from there room doors there were no couples there and you had to drive every day due to where the hotel is positioned we picked this hotel for our anniversary and didnt feel wehad a brek away being woken up so early and also part of the bedding never got changed the whole time we were there and what we paid for the room we feel that we never got the holiday we paid for this is not a place for couples to go due to all the confrences and courses which are on all the time.we came home more tired than when we went and didnt think we got what we paid.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear Briand64,

Thank you for your review of the hotel, I appreciate the honest feedback.

I was disappointed to read that elements of your stay did not meet your expectations and I will be in touch to discuss further and see if we can turn your feedback into positive actions.