“Good location, service attitude could use some adjustment”

Holiday Inn Express Aberdeen City Centre
Ranked #24 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Finland
“Good location, service attitude could use some adjustment”
Reviewed October 17, 2010

I booked a group of 15 Speyside whisky trail travellers to stay at this hotel. My original choice was influenced by the hotel's central location as well as the fact that I hold a platinum membership in Priorityclub. As we booked many months in advance, I was also pleased by the fact that I could negotiate a reasonable rate for us all.

The hotel's location was indeed quite ideal. The rooms were standard Express by Holiday Inn quality, nothing more - nothing less. (No king-size beds available for couples, limited choice in general).I was initially given a key to my room, but it did not work when I tried it. As all others from my group stayed one floor lower, I had the idea of trying 202 instead of 302 - and yes, the number had just been written wrong on the card.

The whole stay went ok for our group, but I felt the hotel could try and prep up a bit in their service attitude. My platinum membership was not recognized even just verbally, nor did I get any of the standard little perks which I have received at other Holiday Inn / Express by Holiday inn hotels (free drink, a warm verbal recognition). Similarly I did not get a late checkout - standard stuff for Platinum members. No one in our group got late checkout in fact.

I pointed out to the non-recognition of the platinum membership, and was told coldly that "we do not recognize it here in any way". Ahem - well, then I guess the business isn't needed, and I won't book any more of the bi-anuual tours to stay at this hotel, thank you. So much for brand loyalty. Was very surprised to see in the lobby the priorityclub awards that this hotel had received for service. What service?

• Stayed September 2010
ExpressAberdeen, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Aberdeen City Centre, responded to this review, November 18, 2010
Dear mijansso

Thank you for such a comprehensive review of the hotel. It was good to read that in general, you found the hotel and it's facilities to be up to scratch. I am however shocked that your Platinum Priority Club membership was not recognised as this is something that should certainly have happened. We have recently been looking at new ways in which we can recognise our most loyal guests and I will certainly take on-board your comments as part of this. In the meantime, additional training will take place to ensure that all of our staff are aware of the benefits currently in place.

Murray

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Greek first
Aberdeen
Reviewed October 5, 2010

For the price I paid for the room I thought it was good value, spacious room and a bathroom that looks brand new.
Breakfast was continental and not bad but I would have preferred a cooked option.
Check out time was a hangover friendly 11am.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Dear abz123

Many thanks for your kind review. We're delighted that you enjoyed your stay and found the room to be such good value. Whilst we don't offer a full cooked breakfast, hopefully you did manage to sample our hot options from the buffet which consist of scrambled eggs and either sausage or bacon.

Thanks again

Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed October 1, 2010

There were nine of us--7 family members--in our group. Food was good and plentiful, staff was helpful, beds were the worst possible. No one member of the group had a decent bed. I had to hold on to the covers to keep from falling out of bed. The springs were broken. Much to my surprise when we all met for breakfast every single person had a lousy bed and a poor night's sleep.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Dear ColleenDi

Many thanks for taking the time to review the hotel. It was great to read that you enjoyed the food and found the staff to be helpful and efficient but I was sorry to see that the beds were not to your satisfaction. We are aware that some of the beds are getting very close to the end of their useful life which is why we are in the process of replacing each and every one of them. Hopefully this will be completed prior to your next stay and you will be able to experience a more comfortable night's sleep.

Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 5, 2010

I was invited to a friends degree show in Aberdeen and me and my partner decided to stay in your hotel. The accommodation was very nice, the room was clean and tidy, and the reception area was lovely. The location of your hotel was second to none. My biggest disappointment was with your breakfast menu. Me and my partner have stayed in various hotels and we can confidently say that your breakfast was disappointing. While the food that was served was nice the variety was poor, only sausages and scrambled eggs were laid out, it could greatly benefit from having more choice, having some bacon, fried eggs, mushrooms and the like out would greatly improve it. Having had a great night the breakfast was a big let down, however apart from this it was a nice stay, well done.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank scottishguy100
ExpressAberdeen, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Aberdeen City Centre, responded to this review, September 15, 2010
Dear scottishguy100

Many thanks for your excellent review. It’s good to read that you were happy with everything in the hotel with the exception of the breakfast selection. Until April of this year, our free breakfast was purely a continental selection and we feel that the addition of the hot items has now greatly enhanced this. The actual selection of items that we offer is not something that can be changed as, like all UK Holiday Inn Express hotels, we have strict standards that we must adhere to so unfortunately, we won’t be able to offer the additional items that you mentioned. I hope this won’t however prevent you from visiting again in the future.

STOKE ON TRENT
Reviewed September 3, 2010

This is a good hotel providing you do not return to very late in the afternoon as your room will not of been serviced.
When i didd return members of the hotel staff were beds between floors and had to kick them into the lift to make them fit and they found it this very funny, i was not impressed.
Ask for a room at the front of the hotel as some rooms at the rear face onto a building with a metal roof and so when it rains you cannot sleep due to the noise (like being in a drum) other than that the hotel and staff are OK (apart from the bed kickers)

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear PHIL-N-D-JIM

Thanks for leaving your comments on Tripadvisor, I’m glad you had a good stay with us.

On an average day, all bedrooms will have been serviced by 3.00pm although when the hotel is particularly busy, this may extend up to around 5.00pm. I’m sorry these timings didn’t fit in with your arrival back at the hotel but please feel free to ask reception to arrange for your room to be serviced earlier when you next stay with us.

Whilst I’m not entirely sure what was happening with regard to the staff moving beds in the lifts, it certainly sounds like their behaviour was unacceptable and I can assure you I will be having words with them to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Reviewed August 25, 2010

For wheelchair - very good but extra mattress required to raise bed
Bathroom - very good, walk-in shower
Size of room - very good
Breakfast - excellent
Facilities - very good
Location - some distance from rail
Overall impression - staff good, good hotel

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank rugbytommo
Dear rugbytommo

Many thanks for your favourable review. It’s great to hear that the time and effort that has been spent to ensure that our facilities are fully accessible to wheelchair users has been worthwhile and that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcoming you to the hotel again in the future and I hope you had a trouble-free journey back to New Zealand.

Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 21, 2010

Stayed here for one night. Arrived by train and the hotel is a good 10 minute walk from the station, located up a side street opposite a 24 hour bakery (more about that later).

Check in was ok, although my name was wrong on the form which caused a bit of confusion. The room was compact but nice - very clean, with a small double bed and a bed settee. The bathroom was nice and clean with a decent shower. Only downside was the lack of air conditioning, the weather was extremely warm and sleeping with the window open didn't provide adequate ventilation as the window didn't open very far and meant we were constantly disturbed by the noisy customers at the all night bakery located across the street.

Breakfast was included and was described as 'continental'. Can only describe breakfast as an 'experience'. The area set up for the self service breakfast is very cramped and difficult to negotiate. Saturday morning at around 9am was incredibly busy with a very long queue for food and swarms of unsupervised children causing mayhem. When we arrived there was no hot food left and several people waiting on supplies being replenished causing large tailbacks and general chaos. Only bacon and scrambled eggs were supplied which were of an ok standard. The self service toaster was another cause of long delays. I am sure the area could be laid out much better to provide an easier and more pleasant experience for the customers as for example if you only wanted a re-fill of orange juice the machine was located in the corner meaning you either had to push in past waiting customer or spend 10 minutes queuing. I also noticed a member of staff pushing a laundry trolley through the eating area which was a bit off putting.

Despite our breakfast experience I would still recommend this hotel as it was cheap and in a good location. The breakfast was ok just not the best I have.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear ScottishTourist

Many thanks for taking the time to review the hotel, I'm delighted that overall, you enjoyed your stay and give us your recommendation.

We are of course aware that the lack of air conditioning can occasionally be the cause of some discomfort to our guests and we do intend to install this facility at some point in the future. In the meantime, please feel free to request a room facing away from the street when making your next reservation as this would allow the window to remain open without having to suffer any noise from the surrounding area.

Breakfast can indeed be rather busy on weekend mornings and whilst we do try to minimise this as much as possible, we are rather limited by the size and layout of the fixed buffet area. As you suggested, a re-think of the actual placement of the different items may help and I will bear this in mind.

With regard to the laundry trolley, this should not have happened as our housekeeping department are required to use a different route during breakfast service. I have already spoken to them about this and am confident that it will not happen again.

Thanks again for your comments and we look forward to seeing you again soon.