“Average stay, good for the price”

Holiday Inn Express Aberdeen City Centre
Ranked #25 of 64 Hotels in Aberdeen
Houston, Texas
“Average stay, good for the price”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2008

We stayed here for 3 days. Room was okay, average size, very clean. Bathroom was very clean as well. The bed was a little uncomfortable, but no big deal, I've slept on worse! The only problem that I had was there was some noise outside that wouldn't let me fall asleep on the first night (which was a Fri night). Sounded like drunk teenagers yelling and talking. I tryed to find where it was coming from outside but I couldn't see anthing and seemed odd to hear people partying since the hotel is about a block or two from the main street through town. Obviously, not the hotel's fault, but you might request a room away from the street noise. Breakfast was fantastic, a better than expected continental breakfast. Overall, a nice stay.

• Liked — breakfast, location
  • Disliked — bed uncomfortable
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Greek first
British Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2008

This was a rest stop on our journey. The hotel staff were kind enough to let us into our room very early after a rough ferry ride from the Orkney islands. Our room was reasonably sized, clean and comfortable although the bed was a little soft. Breakfast was an excellent continental buffet but it was very busy at peak times (8-9am). This hotel was excellent value for the money. The location is good too.

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — the line ups at the breakfast buffet
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2008

Standard HE Express. Quiet location, convenient for city. Dont get excited about it, its not cheap and breakfast is a crush at weekends.

• Stayed October 2008
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2008

Firstly, I should say that I have stayed in several other Holiday inn hotels across UK and USA, and I have had an excellent experience. My experience at the Holiday inn express on Chapel street in Aberdeen was nothing short of terrible.

Firstly, the location of the hotel is excellent as it is very close to the main high street. Once we checked in, we entered the lift to go to our room which was on the 3rd floor, as soon as we came out of the lift, we were greeted by an intense smell of stale cigarette. This was horrible as we experienced this over the entire weekend. When we entered our room, it was very neat, but this pleasantness was short lived by the presence of several bugs happily crawling away in the room. After closer inspection, there were several disgusting stains on the carpet. We then decided to adjust the temperature of the room, however there was no temperature adjustment device. The only thing present was a heater. If you wanted the room cooler, you would have to open the windows onto the very noisy street. As if the noise from the street was not bad enough, we kept on hearing this very strange loud noise intermittently, all through the day and night. It was this very loud buzzing noise.

We were quite tired so we decided to have a nap and not complain, but the bed was a spring bed??!!! Why would a hotel have a spring bed?? and I must mention, it was a very very noisy spring bed, so any action on that bed would have definitely been heard by passers by. Also the pillow has spit marks and brown spots all over. At this stage, we had enough and went to complain, but the management refused to change our room and only offered us a smoking room, which was even worse. The curtains were dirty and bug filled. We paid £69 per night for this hell hole and it was a complete and utter waste of money. We hated every second of staying here.

I would advice anyone looking for a half decent hotel to try any of the other city center hotels in Aberdeen. This hotel does not even deserve a star rating. It is atrocious. Should definitely not be part of the holiday inn chain. This one is definitely riding on the reputation of the chain.

Stay away from this noisy, dirty, hostel!!!!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — It was absolutely stinky and filthy.. Bug and Germ filled
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank T0san
ExpressAberdeen, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Aberdeen City Centre, responded to this review, November 7, 2008
Thank you very much for taking the time to submit a review following your recent stay with us. I was extremely sorry to see that you did not find the hotel to be of the standard expected and will make every effort to address your concerns.

I can only assume that the smell of tobacco that you experienced must have come from the bedrooms in the rear corridor of the 3rd floor, which is where our smoking rooms are situated. I am however puzzled that this should have been “intense” as there is a self-closing fire door separating the area from the lift lobby. Additionally, smoking is not permitted outside of the actual bedrooms and we have been unable to detect the smell ourselves. Nonetheless, I have instructed our housekeeping team to ensure that in future the area is deodorised on a daily basis.

I was delighted to read of your initial impression when entering the room but was alarmed to read of the presence of “bugs” crawling in the room. Since reading this, I have instigated a complete and thorough inspection of every bedroom in the hotel which has now been completed. I am happy to advise that we were unable to detect any infestation whatsoever and can therefore only assume that perhaps the window had been open in your room and some insects had flown in. I also took the precaution of reviewing the records of our pest control contractor, who makes quarterly inspections, and cannot find any reported problems in the 6 years since we opened.

The stain on the carpet of your room was caused by the spillage of some” Irn Bru” (a type of fizzy drink) by a previous guest and I apologise that you found this to be disgusting. I can assure you that the carpet is actually very clean and the discolouration is caused by chemicals in the drink which are impossible to remove. We are currently awaiting the replacement of this carpet within the next few weeks.

With regard to the lack of a “temperature control device” in the bedroom (excluding the thermostatic electric wall heater), I am happy to advise that we will be installing air-conditioning in the entire hotel in around 12 months time. This will coincide with the planned complete refurbishment of both bedrooms and public areas. In the past, the lack of air cooling facilities in the bedrooms has not been the cause of great complaint due to the local climate here in the North of Scotland.

I am unable to comment on the buzzing noise that you reported as we have been unable to replicate this despite several members of hotel staff being required to sleep in the same bedroom in an effort to locate the disturbance. I have however instructed our Housekeeper to monitor the situation and report any problems immediately.

I am somewhat confused by the comment regarding the use of sprung beds in the hotel as I was unaware that there are any suitable alternatives to this. Indeed, I have taken the time to contact several other hotels around the country who have, without exception, confirmed the presence of spring beds in all of their bedrooms. Having said that, I do thank you for alerting us to the noisy spring in the bed and can give my assurances that this has now been fixed.

The presence of “spit marks and brown spots” on your pillows is of great concern although I am unsure as to how this may have happened. Our pillow slips are provided by an external laundry company who have an excellent reputation and provide their services to some of Scotland’s finest 5 star hotels. In addition to this, our staff are trained to reject any item of laundry that does not meet our high standards. I have also inspected the pillows themselves and am unable to find any traces of marks or stains whatsoever.

I have spoken with all the members of management who were on duty for the duration of your visit and unfortunately, none of them recall your request to move to an alternative room. I am however certain that the only circumstances in which we would decline a request to move room would be when the hotel is fully booked and none are available.

Once again, I am very sorry that you were not satisfied with your visit but would also urge you to have a look at many of the other 50-plus reviews posted here as I feel that this demonstrates that we do indeed provide a good service and that perhaps it is a little unfair to describe the hotel as a “noisy, dirty, hostel”
Leeds
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2008

I stayed here for 2 nights and it was fantastic. I didn't arrive till late but that was no problem.Check in was quick so I was straight up to my room. It was the first time I had been to Aberdeen and the staff gave me maps and useful info. The room was very clean & had all the amenities required. To say it is a budget hotel the standards will still of a high quality. The 1 downside was that my room wasn't cleaned after the 1st night until late in the evening. Continental breakfast was provided but I didn't manage to make it down in time.

• Liked — Comfy bed
  • Disliked — Room slightly cold
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
Fontainebleau, france
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2008

My husband and I needed somewhere to stay for a couple of nights while our eldest child settled into her first year at the University of Aberdeen. We chose this hotel on recommendation of a review on TripAdvisor and were very pleased.
The hotel accommodated our 8-year old son in the same room as us on a double sofa-bed so there wasn't much room to move but then all we wanted was somewhere to wash and lay our heads in the evening. The room was very quiet and clean as was the bathroom (most intrigued by the one-door for two purposes in the bathroom: it serves either to shut the door to the bathroom or simply to shut the door to the toilet leaving the bathroom free (but doorless) for other occupants).
There's a very handy parking right next to the hotel which is free from 6 p.m. to 8 a.m. if the hotel parking is full (which it was, even on a Sunday night), the breakfast is adequate and the staff very friendly and helpful.
Given the hotel prices in Aberdeen aimed at the oil market we found this one, handily located in the city centre just off the main shopping street, good value for money and as we will be returning to Aberdeen frequently in the next four years will be staying here again. Oh yes, they also have a deal where if you stay twice in an Express Holiday Inn, your third stay is free.

• Liked — Cleanliness, location, parking
  • Disliked — breakfast
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2008

Having read some previous write-ups about this hotel, I was concerned about booking; I am glad that I went ahead and stayed here anyway as the hotel is well-located, standard of décor and cleanliness were very high, and the room we stayed in was quite modern and spacious.
The only issue we had was noise from the room opposite, but reception acted quickly to resolve the situation. Breakfast itself, although leaning towards carbohydrate overload, was fine quality and plentiful. Overall we enjoyed our stay and would consider staying again.

• Stayed September 2008