“Clean and comfortable”

Holiday Inn Express Aberdeen City Centre
Ranked #26 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for one night with my other half , the room was clean and comfortable , there is no iron in the rooms , we had to go to an ironing room , which was a cupboard with the smallest ironing board and iron imaginable !!
Out bathroom was nice and clean again with a good showers and large shower unit the only problem I had here was I kept jamming my fingers in the door when I opened it to leave the bathroom because of the way it could close over the toilet making a separate toilet cubicle.
Beware if taking a car with you there are only about 6 parking spaces and we had to pay £1 an hour to park in the council run car park up the road as did many others using the hotel ( I'm not even sure if it was other guests cars or staff cars that were using the hotel spaces)
Breakfast was a big let down , there were some cereals , fruit and yoghurt but sausage , scrambled egg and beans were the only hot options and the sausages weren't that good but hey it's free so you can't really complain. Over all it was worth the 60 odd quid we paid to stay there but think I would have been disappointed if we had paid more especially taking into consideration the amount we paid for parking

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank littlemissy1uk
ExpressAberdeen, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Aberdeen City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2014

Thank you very much for your comments littlemissy1uk

It's good to read that you found your room to be clean and comfortable although I'm sorry that you found the ironing room to be a little cramped. We do try to do our best with the limited space available.

I'm sorry to hear that you jammed your fingers in the bathroom door. The design of these doors is aimed at making the bathrooms and showers as user-friendly as possible and it is a little unusual. Our best advice for the future is to ensure that you use the door handles as this will negate the possibility of trapping fingers.

Car parking is indeed at a premium in the centre of Aberdeen and as you clearly noticed, our 13 spaces are filled very quickly by customers (staff park in a separate area). The multi-storey facility just up the road is very handy and, compared to many other cities, keenly priced. Please note that it is also free of charge between 10pm and 8am each night.

The breakfast selection is standard across all Holiday Inn Express hotels so regrettably there is nothing we can do to change it in the short term. I will however address the quality issue with the sausages as a matter of urgency.

Thanks again for your comments and we hope to see you back again soon.

Reviewed February 15, 2014

There are no surprises at a Holiday Inn Express. The rooms are functional enough, although just a bit too basic. Everything worked, and the sleep quality was OK. Breakfast was disappointing.

My room was actually a "disabled" one, with the bathroom designed for wheelchair access. But I am unsure whether the bedroom would have worked - certainly the desk could not have been used from a 'chair.

The principal desig flaw was the combination of a minute basin and the highest flowing water tap I have experienced in a very long time. It was a "mixer" tap that had to be turned full on before you could select a decent water temperature, by which time the basin was overflowing and you had sprayed water all over whatever you happened to be wearing. This is a bathroom best used naked.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Aberphobic

Many thanks for your review Aberphobic

Whilst it's good to see that the hotel lived up to your expectations, I am sorry that you experienced some issues with the sink in the bathroom. The taps are designed to be easy to operate by those with mobility problems although it does sound like there is an issue with the water pressure in this instance. I will ensure our maintenance department checks this as a matter of urgency.

Should you be making a reservation in the future, please feel free to get in touch with us in advance and we can ensure that a standard room type is allocated for you.

Reviewed February 9, 2014

Enjoyed yet another stay at the Holiday Inn Express, comfortable bedrooms, with free breakfast. Central to all shopping malls and theatre's etc. and lots of little boutique shops in the side streets Staff make you feel welcome and are so very helpful. We enjoyed a visit to " Fittie" a quaint little fishing village at the end of the beach near the harbour, Hope to return soon.... Well done to All Staff !!!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank ScottishLassie1912
ExpressAberdeen, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Aberdeen City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2014

Thanks for your comments phyllis w, always great to hear from our regulars.

It's fantastic to see that you had another enjoyable stay and we look forward to seeing you back again soon.

Reviewed February 6, 2014

I have stayed in this hotel many times and after my last stay it feel its time to look elsewhere for my next trip. As others have commented the hotel is very expensive compared to other cities but thats just the nature of the market in Aberdeen. The staff are on the whole friendly and helpful. The property in my opinion requires update and by that I mean carpets, beds, furniture, decoration etc. not just new logos and branding. I found my room to have wobbly furniture that was stained and worn. Carpets were the same. This hotel is used a lot and it shows. Internet is good when its on but is subject to drop outs. I like the breakfast as its just about what I need on my way to work - fast and filling.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Travelbug0004
ExpressAberdeen, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Aberdeen City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2014

Many thanks for your comments Travelbug0004

It's very pleasing to see that you rated our location and service highly and I acknowledge your reference to the prices in Aberdeen. On midweek nights, the city is indeed expensive although I am confident that we maintain our rates competitively in comparison to other city centre hotels.

The volume of customers over the years has indeed taken its toll and I agree that a refurbishment would benefit the hotel greatly. This is scheduled to take place soon. We do however have an active preventative maintenance program in place and I will ensure the furniture in your room is attended to immediately.

I am sorry that you feel you wish to try alternative accommodation on your next visit to the city but hopefully, once we have been refurbished, you will come back and appreciate the improvements.

Reviewed January 18, 2014

Good hotel, just off the main street in the city centre. Extremely helpful staff. The only problem like all hotels in Aberdeen is that they are all overpriced, but still cheaper than other similar hotels in the city during the week. In the weekend the prices go down significantly.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
ExpressAberdeen, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Aberdeen City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2014

Many thanks for your review Yazanmas

It's great to see that you enjoyed your visit to the hotel and in particular found the staff to be very helpful. We do appreciate that hotels in Aberdeen are fairly expensive during the week but I am however glad that you noticed our rates relative to the competition are good value.

Hope to see you back again soon.

Reviewed January 10, 2014

Boring city centre hotel charging inflated prices to the oil rich patrons. 3 x the price of it's Folkestone equivalent who could teach them a thing or two about courteous customer contact. Oh and they keep your car hostage between around 11.30pm to about 6am in the morning? Or so I assume as the receptionist could not (or be bothered to?) leave her post at reception to open the locked gate to allow parking to be accessed even though car park had space available???

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Ed-Scotia
ExpressAberdeen, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Aberdeen City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us Ed-Scotia.

Hotels in Aberdeen do tend to be expensive due to the buoyant oil industry and I'm sorry you felt we were overpriced. I am confident that our rates are extremely competitive in comparison to similar properties in the centre of the city.

I am also sorry that we were unable to accommodate your car at the hotel. Our small car park has only 10 spaces for 155 bedrooms so fills up very quickly and from viewing the CCTV footage from the night you stayed, I can see that the only space available was a disables access bay. This may not have been apparent when looking from outside the car park. I have also spoken to the member of staff with whom you spoke and can absolutely assure you that she would have been happy to open the gate if there had been a suitable space available.

Once again, please accept my apologies for your inconvenience.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

Stayed here on New Year's eve, our room was situated on the first floor at the back of the hotel. The room was well equipped, a reasonable size and very clean. The hotel is situated on Chapel Street which is just off the upper end of Union Street. It would be a 10 to 15 minute walk from the train station. There are only 10 car park spaces, including 2 disabled ones for hotel patrons. All the reception staff we encountered were helpful and pleasant. The breakfast is a self-service affair, including help yourself hot food items. This is a budget hotel in a good location and we would return.

Room Tip: A room at the back would be much quieter.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
ExpressAberdeen, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Aberdeen City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Many thanks for your comments rebus10 and Happy New Year to you.

I'm delighted to read that you had an enjoyable Hogmanay visit to the hotel and appreciated our excellent central location.

We look forward to your next visit.