“Refreshed and well fed after our stay!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Marcliffe at Pitfodels

The Marcliffe at Pitfodels
Ranked #11 of 63 Hotels in Aberdeen
Dundee
“Refreshed and well fed after our stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

We stayed at The Marcliffe in early May. This is the first time we have stayed in this hotel for well over 10 years and I have to comment that not much seems to have been done to the place since then.

The ladies on reception were friendly and polite. We were able to get access to our room before the time detailed for check-in.

The bar staff were very attentive, in particular Stuart Cooper - he did a great job looking after our drinks order during the function.

The room was ordinary - nothing to write home about - could have been a room in any 4* establishment. The TV wasn't tuned in, the toilet didn't flush well and even after lots of fiddling I still couldn't get the curtains to meet in the middle. The bed however was particularly comfy - and we both slept VERY well.

Breakfast served in the conservatory was a delight - all cooked to order with options including kedgeree, kippers, pancakes as well as the usual full cooked breakfast. After a full Scottish and an Eggs Benedict served by the lovely smiley Caitlin, we were happy to go on our way feeling refreshed and well fed!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank SleeplessInDundee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Overall a fantastic stay with very welcoming and helpful local staff. Have stayed there a few times now and looking forward to staying again. probably the best hotel in Aberdeen for location, staff, rooms and excellent food.

Room Tip: Braemar room was good
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I booked a Spa day for myself & three members of my family as a Christmas treat. The girls in the Spa were lovely & we all thoroughly enjoyed the treatments.
Totally different story when we went thoroughly to the hotel for lunch. No smiles greeted us. Asked which restaurant we had booked we didn't know because the Spa staff had booked for us. The waiter actually sighed. He grudgingly sat us at a draughty table in front of the bar. Service was offhand & slow. We were made to feel most unwelcome. Particularly disappointing as I had talked the place up to my family.

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank Fiona C
Edinburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Stayed here for one night as my work put on a party.

What a beautiful hotel nestled on the outskirts of the city. We stayed in a junior suite on the 1st floor. Absolute luxury from the start, molten brown toiletries, massive soft bed with fluffy duvet and champagne. Just what the doctor ordered I hear you say.

Beautiful hotel throughout, we had a brilliant evening of dancing, drinking, music and swish food! Retired to the residents bar for cocktails and cigars after the party, bliss. Since I don't often don a bow tie I thought I could google the correct donning technique, tried and failed miserably so reception sent up a man to sort me out, he even instructed my girlfriend how to do it for next time, what a life saver!

Amazing place in a beautiful surrounding, cant wait for the next party although not looking forward to the sore head again.....ouch!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Another visit to the restaurant,, flawless service from start to finish as usual, perfectly cooked scallops and steaks and the best peppercorn sauce we have tasted, this place is run with military precision & as usual Mr Spence (proprietor) was keeping a watchful eye on the excellent staff. I'm in a wheelchair and they always make sure I have a certain table so my chair can get under it. Already planning our next visit, yum yum!!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

I have eaten here twice this year, once for lunch and once for dinner. The quality and presentation of the food was very good each time. Beef cooked to perfection. Lovely fudge and chocolates at end of the meal. The setting is also lovely. My only criticism from friends that I dined with is that the dairy free and special diet options are quite limited. I have also stayed in the hotel a couple of times. The rooms are comfortable and breakfast was good. I would describe the service as average to good.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We were treated by friends for my husband's 60th Birthday. Went for Sunday lunch and it was exceptional. Service second to none, and ofcourse the surroundings are superb. We had a pre lunch drink sitting by a lovely fire, and returned there after our lunch for coffee. A very relaxing special occasion

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple