“Very Nice Stay” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Marcliffe Hotel and Spa

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The Marcliffe Hotel and Spa
Ranked #7 of 63 Hotels in Aberdeen
Great Falls, Virginia
“Very Nice Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012

This was our second visit to Marcliffe in 3 years and the property did not disappoint. Our room was lovely and well appointed. There were two weddings at the hotel on the day that we arrived and so the bar area was very crowded but they did clear it by 6 so guests could have cocktails.

Our only real issues were with the restaurant. Our room included dinner and no one bothered to explain what was included in that dinner vs. what was an extra to pay for. We just assumed only the regular menu was included. It wasn't until after our first dinner that we asked for an explanation of what was included (which was everything). Then when we checked out, we were actually charged for the "upcharges" on our second dinner until we pointed out that we were told there were no upcharges and the bill was immediately adjusted. Our travel companions had checked out before we did and didn't realize that they were being charged upcharges for the prior nights meal also so they had to go back in and get the adjustment - after I told them what happened to us. Not insignificant as it amounted to about $200 per check. Our advice is that if dinner is included in your room, do not be shy about asking what exactly is included in that - no one volunteers the information. The Russian red crab while good, was not nearly as good as it was our first trip - it was a pile of broken leg pieces that were a bit overcooked. Service at dinner on Saturday was fairly slow, though the night before had flawless.

All of tha

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is set in delightful grounds and we were lucky enough to have good weather during our stay, which made it a pleasure to sit out on the terrace for lunch. My room was comfortable enough, though the fine weather meant that it was a little hot and it would be good for the hotel to invest in air conditioning! Free wifi was a given. Dinner that night was very enjoyable, the scallop starter was outstanding and I followed it up cod and samphire - simple yet delicious. Overall the thing that struck me most was the very high levels of service. Staff had taken the time to recognise me and to adderess me by name, which was a nice touch. Certainly one of the best hotels in Aberdeen.

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank from_hants
Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

My daughter treated me (and her of course) to a night with dinner and spa at this lovely hotel. The staff were really friendly and helpful, especially in the restaurant and the spa. The room was great with complimentary soft drinks, nuts and chocolate which went down a treat. Dinner in the Conservatory was excellent and the treatments in the spa great, best facial I have had so far. Only downside - no pool. Definitely want to try the afternoon tea which sounds great.

Room Tip: Room overlooking Conservatory , very quiet and restful, no noise.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank wils471
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2012 via mobile

Stayed for one night - restaurant truly excellent, see separate review. Staff very helpful and public areas (reception, lounge, dining room) all very good. Our bedroom was good - clean room and bathroom, comfortable bed, good shower in bath tub, nice selection of fruit and tea, coffee, etc. in room. Wardrobes and related furniture a bit dated. Overall, a very good hotel.

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

If you've not tried the afternoon tea at The Marcliffe, then you really should. It really is excellent.

This is probably the forth or fifth time we've been and every time is as good as the last. A selection of sandwiches, warm scones with jam & clotted cream and a wonderful assortment of pastries and mini puds await you, and all are enjoyed with copious cups of tea and/or a glass of bubbly.

This really is one of the nicest ways to spend an afternoon relaxing.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank IrishEyesSmile
Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012

I work for a multinational oilfield company and we held a conference at this hotel and afterwards I had the pleasure of staying here for the next 5 nights. The meal the hotel supplied after our conference was superb and continued in the same vein throughout my stay at the hotel.

The staff we so friendly and nothing was too much problem and they were magnificent before I even arrived in Aberdeen, as I was booked to arrive in Aberdeen the night before our conference the Marcliffe hotel was fully booked but they arranged for me to stay at another hotel nearby and for the same rate before transferring to the Marcliffe the next day.

The hotel then called me back to confirms this had been arranged and the service from all the staff is truly exemplary, I extended my stay twice at short notice and each time it was never an issue to do so.

My room was comfortable and had a free mini bar for snacks and soft drinks except for the weekend which I couldn't fathom out but what can I say I love my chocolate and peanuts and if they are in the mini bar they get eaten :-)

I did have a massage in the spa which was very relaxing but the hotel didn't have a hot tub or swimming pool but the again it's Aberdeen which is not renowned for outside pools.

The room was a bit noisy in the morning about 6-7am with trolleys outside the room in the rear of the hotel but as I was up and heading for the office it didn't overly concern me.

Would I stay the again? Without a shadow of a doubt. Hotels in Aberdeen are not the cheapest in the country but this hotel is worth every penny of your money for a stay in Aberdeen.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank G5NB
Utrecht, Netherlands
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

We stayed in this hotel as my husband had to work and we wanted to be in a comfortable hotel for this reason. The rooms are dated, especially the bathroom. The rooms are also very noisy.
At breakfast time they take your order for a cooked breakfast, but the cook doesn't even know how to prepare eggs baked well done.

The food in the restaurant is nice. We ordered our food while sitting in the bar area and when we were asked to go to our table it still took 30 minutes for our starter to be served! Then after we finished our starter our main was served witihhin minutes (way too fast). Dessert took another 45 minutes and our coffee was served luke warm. So the food is nice but due to the timing between our courses dinner wasn't enjoyable.

When mentioning a couple of things for improvement the manager was not open for any suggestions.

It is a good 10-15 drive form the city, so if you want to stay in the city centre then this is not the place.

If this is the best Aberdeen has to offer I would stay away!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business