“Fantastic place to stay and excellent helpful staff”

The Marcliffe Hotel and Spa
Ranked #7 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom
“Fantastic place to stay and excellent helpful staff”
Reviewed August 11, 2012

I work for a multinational oilfield company and we held a conference at this hotel and afterwards I had the pleasure of staying here for the next 5 nights. The meal the hotel supplied after our conference was superb and continued in the same vein throughout my stay at the hotel.

The staff we so friendly and nothing was too much problem and they were magnificent before I even arrived in Aberdeen, as I was booked to arrive in Aberdeen the night before our conference the Marcliffe hotel was fully booked but they arranged for me to stay at another hotel nearby and for the same rate before transferring to the Marcliffe the next day.

The hotel then called me back to confirms this had been arranged and the service from all the staff is truly exemplary, I extended my stay twice at short notice and each time it was never an issue to do so.

My room was comfortable and had a free mini bar for snacks and soft drinks except for the weekend which I couldn't fathom out but what can I say I love my chocolate and peanuts and if they are in the mini bar they get eaten :-)

I did have a massage in the spa which was very relaxing but the hotel didn't have a hot tub or swimming pool but the again it's Aberdeen which is not renowned for outside pools.

The room was a bit noisy in the morning about 6-7am with trolleys outside the room in the rear of the hotel but as I was up and heading for the office it didn't overly concern me.

Would I stay the again? Without a shadow of a doubt. Hotels in Aberdeen are not the cheapest in the country but this hotel is worth every penny of your money for a stay in Aberdeen.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank G5NB

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Utrecht, Netherlands
Reviewed August 3, 2012

We stayed in this hotel as my husband had to work and we wanted to be in a comfortable hotel for this reason. The rooms are dated, especially the bathroom. The rooms are also very noisy.
At breakfast time they take your order for a cooked breakfast, but the cook doesn't even know how to prepare eggs baked well done.

The food in the restaurant is nice. We ordered our food while sitting in the bar area and when we were asked to go to our table it still took 30 minutes for our starter to be served! Then after we finished our starter our main was served witihhin minutes (way too fast). Dessert took another 45 minutes and our coffee was served luke warm. So the food is nice but due to the timing between our courses dinner wasn't enjoyable.

When mentioning a couple of things for improvement the manager was not open for any suggestions.

It is a good 10-15 drive form the city, so if you want to stay in the city centre then this is not the place.

If this is the best Aberdeen has to offer I would stay away!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
7 Thank JJC_NL
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 2, 2012

From the moment you arrive until you leave you are made to feel special and the food is sublime. I'm in a wheelchair and they always reserve a particular table for me as I have difficulty getting under a lot f them. Well worth a vist for any occasion.

2 Thank Ray-Brown22
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 29, 2012

My husband and I stayed only one night as an end to our trip in Scotland before flying from Aberdeen. We spent a couple of days at the start of our holiday at Bauhaus hotel in Aberdeen and highly recommend this. Bauhaus has more a modern style that suits our taste and the location is central and excellent to many places of interest and restaurants.
In contrast Marcliffe is old, dated and the rooms need a good refurbishment. In addition the hotel is around 15-20mins drive from Aberdeen centre. The hotel during season seems to attract many wedding and golfing guests. So if you would like a quiet stay, this may not be the place.

Though we are happy to pay for quality we found Marcliffe overpriced for what they offer.
On a good note the service offered by the staff was very friendly and excellent. The restaurant offers great food. I will not stay here again but highly recommend the restaurant for its fine dining,service and quality of food.

3 Thank RNB9
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 22, 2012

My fiance and I have just returned from Sunday lunch in the Conservatory restaurant. It couldn't be faulted. We ordered our meal from the comfort of the bar and were escorted to our table approximately 5 minutes before our (delicious) starters arrived. The food was excellent and the service cannot be faulted- attentive but not overbearing. We declined tea and coffee but my fiance then commented that we'd done ourselves out of fudge. A plate full of fudge and chocolates appeared moments later.

We retired to the bar again after our meal and spent a lovely leisurely afternoon sipping various drinks. Again, service was impeccable. We will be back

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed July 19, 2012

We are regulars at the Marcliffe when visiting Aberdeen and the standard never waivers. Staff are always courteous and attentive and the hotel balances modern facilities with plenty of local character.

Food and drink are excellent with the whisky selection in particular being one of the best we have ever seen. Best to book ahead for both the bar and restaurant as space is at a premium.

Room Tip: The suites are quite excellent.
Aberdeen
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Friday 13th July, we were booked to go here for a relaxing mother/daughter afternoon before her wedding on Sunday 15th. This was courteousy of my lovely hubby who surprised me at Christmas with enough vouchers to pamper both my daughter and myself(after the rest of my pressies). We plumped for the candlewax massage, pedicure and my daughter had a manicure as well. Never having had a full massage before, I was really looking forward to this. Wow, it was amazing and I would recommend this to anyone. Jen, the girl who did my one was lovely. Then came the pedicure, bliss. As much tea, coffee, etc, as you wished. The surroundings were lovely and the staff so nice, I will be back. 10/10. Louise, Aberdeen (oh and Keri!)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family